Sponsored

Terrible fuel efficiency or is my truck defective??

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
What engine do you have and how many km’s/miles do you get per tank??

When my 2018 XLT with the 3.3 V6 was brand new I would get around 1000-1200 km’s(620-745 miles) per tank. After about a year and onwards I would get 900-1000km’s/tank.

I’m just under 2600km’s on my new 2021 XLT that has the 2.7 EcoBoost and I haven’t been able to get over 900km’s/tank on any of my fill ups.

The first tank I didn’t really drive it in a way that was mindful of how much gas I was burning and I think I got less than 800km’s on that tank.
But the 2-3 tanks after that I’ve been trying really hard to drive in the most fuel efficient manner to see how many km’s I could get from a single tank. The current tank will be lucky to make it past 900km’s.

- For all fill ups I waited until the dash said 0 km’s to empty then I would fill it to the tits and would stop recording the mileage once it said 0 again.
- I ALWAYS drive in ECO Mode and I always turn off Auto Start/Stop.
- I’ve only used regular gas. The few times I used the expensive gas on my 2018 I got less than 50-60 extra km’s out of the tank so not worth it to me. Especially since I don’t plan to keep the truck after the lease.

I haven’t had the time to do any kind of review but after about a month of having my new 2021 F150 I haven’t had any mechanical or technical issues.
The Navigation stopped working once and the fuel efficiency is dog sh*t but other than that, this truck has been very solid.

And not sure if I mentioned this; if you’re in Canada and your dealer tries to give you the Bison brand tonneau cover tell them to stick in their butt. It’s really bad.

I haven’t done any mods. Just removed the antenna, added 5% tints all around and installed a dash cam. I think it’s very stupid that factory-installed dash cams are available on other Ford vehicles like the mustang but not the f150.

Ford F-150 Terrible fuel efficiency or is my truck defective?? 91BCFC5D-C607-4796-BC5D-C8371F054B15
Sponsored

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
i get anywhere from 600 to 700 miles per 36 gallon tank with the 3.5. Lower end if all stop and go, upper end if all highway. But, even when the distance to empty is about zero i can only put 30-31 gallons in the tank and sometimes less. It seems like my 2016 had less in reserve then the 21 And when I’d be on zero with the 2016 I only had 2-3 gallons left in the tank.

it was much worse when the truck was new. I have about 6000 miles on it now and MPG has been getting better. Also, no winter blend fuel around here anymore so that may be helping.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I really think you hate your ford truck and Ford from all your negative post---you should just move on to another brand--try a Ram, maybe Nissan titan
What part of this post seems negative to you? I’m very confused.
I’m requesting insight from other owners to determine if there’s an issue with my trucks’ fuel efficiency.

I specifically stated that my truck is solid. I even shared a sexy pic. ?‍♂

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
What are you actually getting in MPG? Which gear ratio did you get?

Another member with the 2.7 was getting bad for a V8 fuel mileage for a few tanks and it turned out one of the O2 sensors was bad, bad enough that the check engine light was on. It's also possible that a sensor can be bad, though not bad enough to trigger the CEL, but it will show a fault code. If you have FordPass, it might show that.

It's also possible that Ford read your negative posts and decided to sabotage your car :p I know that I haven't been able to get better than 14MPG from my 5.0 and I have been driving around like there's a block of wood under my gas pedal!

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have the 2.7. I’m getting 22.02 hand-calculated MPG on my last tank of 93.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Drive it in normal mode
Keep out of the boost
Physically calculate your mileage.

hell, my last fill up is netting 20.5 mpg with a v8.
Have no clue what that computes to in km/liter tho

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
What are you actually getting in MPG? Which gear ratio did you get?

Another member with the 2.7 was getting bad for a V8 fuel mileage for a few tanks and it turned out one of the O2 sensors was bad, bad enough that the check engine light was on. It's also possible that a sensor can be bad, though not bad enough to trigger the CEL, but it will show a fault code. If you have FordPass, it might show that.

It's also possible that Ford read your negative posts and decided to sabotage your car :p I know that I haven't been able to get better than 14MPG from my 5.0 and I have been driving around like there's a block of wood under my gas pedal!
Lol Ford would never do such a thing.

I don’t think it’s bad enough to look for something to repair. I was just hoping I would get better numbers with a 2.7 over a 3.3.
You and me are getting similar numbers which would be okay if we had similar engines but were total opposite(2.7 vs 5.0). If I knew they would be this close I would’ve been all over that 5.0.

FordPass says I’m goood like god with two extra o’s so I’ll have to wait until first scheduled maintenance to discover any mechanical faults.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Drive it in normal mode
Keep out of the boost
Physically calculate your mileage.

hell, my last fill up is netting 20.5 mpg with a v8.
Have no clue what that computes to in km/liter tho
That computes very well. Cod damn you’re actually killing it with those number on a v8.

@KBKEITHis doing a lot better than me but when you look at him (22.02mpg with a 2.7 and premium gas) vs you(20.5 mpg with a 5.0) I think it just means that every truck will greatly vary.

I’m paying $150-160($125-130 usd)per fill every 10-15 days so it’s not too bad. I’m gonna try what you said and stay in normal mode and hopefully it’s get better over time. What do you mean by staying off the Boost?

Sponsored

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
That computes very well. Cod damn you’re actually killing it with those number on a v8.

@KBKEITHis doing a lot better than me but when you look at him (22.02mpg with a 2.7 and premium gas) vs you(20.5 mpg with a 5.0) I think it just means that every truck will greatly vary.

I’m paying $150-160($125-130 usd)per fill every 10-15 days so it’s not too bad. I’m gonna try what you said and stay in normal mode and hopefully it’s get better over time. What do you mean by staying off the Boost?
Do yu use the "eco coach" when driving? This helps you to use proper pedal pressure when you accelerate to avoid getting into boost - also on how to coast to a stop vs using heavy braking. This seems to make a BIG difference in MPG for me (3.5leco)

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Do yu use the "eco coach" when driving? This helps you to use proper pedal pressure when you accelerate to avoid getting into boost - also on how to coast to a stop vs using heavy braking. This seems to make a BIG difference in MPG for me (3.5leco)
I’ve had the coach on a few times. My speed score is always 99. Acceleration/deceleration range from 85-95.

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I’ve had the coach on a few times. My speed score is always 99. Acceleration/deceleration range from 85-95.
My mpg drops quickly if my acceleration score is <96%
(more so in city traffic vs country/hwy) - the ecoboost engines get great mpg when driven like a naturally aspirated small engine - once you get in boost mode then it uses similar fuel rate as a large V8. That same large V8 also drops in mpg when you do aggressive acceleration - regardless which engine is involved the acceleration of the 5000+ #'s takes a similar amount of fuel (varies only by the efficiency of the engine) - to accelerate faster requires more fuel.

I believe the Ecoboost get better mpg when driven mildly is due to their better efficiency of conversion at low rpm/non boost

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I don’t think it’s bad enough to look for something to repair. I was just hoping I would get better numbers with a 2.7 over a 3.3.
You're basing your assumptions purely on the size of the motor. That's not really the way to look at it.

The 3.3 is a naturally aspirated motor making 290/265. The 2.7 is forced induction making 325/400.

You have to pay for that additional 35 HP and 135 torque, and you pay for it in MPG.
Sponsored