Sponsored

Terrible fuel efficiency or is my truck defective??

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I’ve got about 26k km’s since April 2021 and it’s gotten worse. I’m getting about 750 km’s per tank(136L) and at almost $180/fill Amin starting to feel very sad.

It’s winter here but I don’t use the heater much and rarely use the 4H and I drive like grandpa so I don’t know what else to do.

This is an XLT with the 2.7 L ecoboost by the way.

How are you guys doing with your trucks and fuel??
I would stop quoting miles per tank and start quoting actual fuel consumption. Understandably yours will be in L/100km but we can convert that in the states and hopefully help a little more. Do you reset your trip meter for full tanks? I’d be very interested to see a pic to calculate average speed, that has a huge effect.

Also, if you’re worried about fuel economy so much, you really should turn auto stop/start back on. You’re defeating a system created to save fuel and then complaining about how much fuel you’re burning. You’re not the only one to do it, it just baffles me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I would stop quoting miles per tank and start quoting actual fuel consumption. Understandably yours will be in L/100km but we can convert that in the states and hopefully help a little more. Do you reset your trip meter for full tanks? I’d be very interested to see a pic to calculate average speed, that has a huge effect.

Also, if you’re worried about fuel economy so much, you really should turn auto stop/start back on. You’re defeating a system created to save fuel and then complaining about how much fuel you’re burning. You’re not the only one to do it, it just baffles me.
I do reset it for every tank. And I run tanks down all the way to “0 km to empty” so I know I’m always testing a completely full tank.

I’ve tried not touching the auto start stop button on several entire tanks and it didn’t make a difference. I’ve also tried running tanks on normal driving mode. That didn’t make a difference from Eco mode.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I do reset it for every tank. And I run tanks down all the way to “0 km to empty” so I know I’m always testing a completely full tank.

I’ve tried not touching the auto start stop button on several entire tanks and it didn’t make a difference. I’ve also tried running tanks on normal driving mode. That didn’t make a difference from Eco mode.
If you can post up a pic or the details from your trip meter, it can be helpful to see average speed and fuel consumption

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order

so what is your L/100km?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT on Order/Mazda Roadster Club/Model 3
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired/Student
With my XLT 2.7 2WD I am consistently getting 24-26 mpg and roughly 525 miles per tank. I can put effort in and get 600 miles which to me is impressive for a big truck.

Sponsored

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’ve got about 26k km’s since April 2021 and it’s gotten worse. I’m getting about 750 km’s per tank(136L) and at almost $180/fill Amin starting to feel very sad.

It’s winter here but I don’t use the heater much and rarely use the 4H and I drive like grandpa so I don’t know what else to do.

This is an XLT with the 2.7 L ecoboost by the way.

How are you guys doing with your trucks and fuel??
I picked up my 2021 in October - and I was getting ~20MPG as it was breaking in which I remember being 670-680 miles per tank. Best tank I was at 21.7 MPG (@1200 mi) and then winter gas and cold temperatures took effect.

I am down to 17.9 MPG on my last tank which was 612 miles. This is with temperatures ranging from about -3F to about 32F. I also remote start and let it warm up for 5-10 minutes. I am also not light on the throttle. I am very happy with my MPGs for a crew cab pickup truck in the middle of winter.

I did have an issue with a previous Ford SUV. When I bought a used Explorer back in the day - the dealer put a new air filter in it. I was getting 8.9MPG from the 4.6 V8 which should get 13-14 MPG on a bad day. I thought there was something terribly wrong, turns out the filter they had installed must have somehow passed QA but had absolute terrible airflow. Once I swapped it out for a new unit, the mileage crept back to the normal 15ish MPG. It took a bit of time since the computer had learned to compensate for the lack of airflow, looking back on it, I should have reset that value in forscan.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
With my XLT 2.7 2WD I am consistently getting 24-26 mpg and roughly 525 miles per tank. I can put effort in and get 600 miles which to me is impressive for a big truck.
I used to be able to get almost 700 miles on a tank on my 2018 xlt with the 3.3L.

Unlike @stangsandatruck I don’t remote start in the mornings for more than 1-2mins and I’m very light on the throttle. Especially since I’ve been trying to squeeze more mileage per tank.
But I like what he said about the air filter and forescan. A lot of times it’s these little tweaks here and there that can make a world of a difference.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It ranges from 10-13
Doing the math on your 10L/100KM that is 28.2 MPG and 13L/100KM is 21.7 MPG. I don't think that is too bad. I do know that warming up the truck drops the MTE a lot. Just wondering if you are converting to the smaller US gallon - 10L/100KM is 23.5 USG and the 13L/100Km is 18 MPG USG.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Winter tires really hit my mileage as well as I’ve been doing a lot of 5-10 minute warm ups and my mileage dropped from 12L/100 to 13.2L/100km

5.0L with 3.73 gears and been driving in 4x4 mode about 25% of the time.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Doing the math on your 10L/100KM that is 28.2 MPG and 13L/100KM is 21.7 MPG. I don't think that is too bad. I do know that warming up the truck drops the MTE a lot. Just wondering if you are converting to the smaller US gallon - 10L/100KM is 23.5 USG and the 13L/100Km is 18 MPG USG.
I’m not sure if that’s what I’m actually getting. That’s just what it says on the screen. I base it solely on the total amount of km’s I get for a full tank. And I compare that number to my older F150. And it’s just not working out for me. I was under the impression that products improve over time but that is not the case for me and my F150’s

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I’m not sure if that’s what I’m actually getting. That’s just what it says on the screen. I base it solely on the total amount of km’s I get for a full tank. And I compare that number to my older F150. And it’s just not working out for me. I was under the impression that products improve over time but that is not the case for me and my F150’s
you can do the math using the pump liters and km travelled between fills. Truck could be calculating the fuel km wrong.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
The one I posted is also just whatever is displayed on the dash, I always forget to actually write down the litres and figure it out by hand

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
There seems to be something where your truck is just not getting the range. With the extended tank - you should get >1000 km (if I did the math correctly - 650 miles is 1050ish km) on a tank of fuel using the onboard range meter. During the warmer months that I have had the truck - I was easily at or over the 650 mile range.

You might have problems with air or spark. If the spark plugs are gapped to wide or too narrow can really kill economy as well. .028-.031 in. (0.7 - 0.8 mm) is what Ford recommends, but who knows if the machine gapped them correctly at the factory. I replaced plugs once to where they were 'gapped properly' to only be out by .010 in - which would have put everything out of whack.

Since the 3 things that create combustion are fuel, air, spark - air and spark are the top suspects for causing the odd fuel economy.
Sponsored