Sponsored

Terrible fuel efficiency or is my truck defective??

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
This is the
You're basing your assumptions purely on the size of the motor. That's not really the way to look at it.

The 3.3 is a naturally aspirated motor making 290/265. The 2.7 is forced induction making 325/400.

You have to pay for that additional 35 HP and 135 torque, and you pay for it in MPG.
This is the answer I was looking for. After reading your reply along with what @Rich1982 said, it all makes sense now. And with this information I can conclude that my 2021 is as close to perfect as it gets for a first model year Ford truck.

i’ve learned so much from this forum and clearly there’s still a lot for me to learn.
But aside from the rough job on my factory two-tone paint, this truck has really been a very positive experience so far and I may have actually fallen in love with it.
Sponsored

jpmtz

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I didn't read anything in Eric's post that sounded like "hate." Sure, questioning mpg is natural. The man even said, "after about a month of having my new 2021 F150 I haven’t had any mechanical or technical issues." NO HATE THERE.

jpmtz

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Boy, oh, boy, you sure do "hate" your truck! jk (Icecoldak ?)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Sorry if I missed it, I mainly skimmed OPs replies, but are both trucks the same size tank? There is a 26 and 36 gallon tank. A lot of your post seemed around miles per tank, and if your 3.3L had the 36 gallon but you weren't aware there were other options and just got the standard 26 with your 2.7L, that would, of course, account for the difference. I have seen a lot of posts where someone bought an F-150 off the lot that had the 36 gallon, then got a newer truck later off the lot and had no idea they had a 36 gallon "option" in the last truck, and are wondering why their tank is so small. There are a million option combos on these trucks, it's easy to overlook those things.

I don't have a 2.7L for 2021, but it's a carryover engine from last gen, no major changes, and in my 2019 and 2017 I would get 600 miles on a 36 gallon tank in normal mainly city driving, and 700-800 if on long trips, mostly highway. That was consistent between both trucks, although the Lariat did slightly worse than the XLT, but it was also a couple hundreds pounds heavier.

You may also need to slightly train your foot. I spoke about this going from the 2.7L to the 3.5L PB, but I have driven the 2.7L so long, I could get up to the speed I wanted just by feel alone. I would pull out of our neighborhood and get up to 45 and set the cruise just by feel, and 9/10 times, I was right on, or within 1MPH. With this PB, if I do it by feel, I am doing 60. The truck is just feels like it is working less hard to get up to that speed, and it throws me off, significantly. So I am re-learning things.

That 2.7L, in a similar way, will get you up to speed quite a bit quicker than the 3.3L. It's a quick engine. You may be by muscle memory putting a bit more into the throttle than you would need to get comparable acceleration, just because you are used to the 3.3L. With the turbo happy nature of the 2.7L in city driving, this can be a fuel killer. I noted a 2MPG difference in my average when I was super smooth and gentle on the throttle driving around town compared to later in my ownership where I would be a little more "spirited" with it.

Anyway, just some ideas. Boosted engines are very different beasts. They can return great mileage and power, but they are always a little too much throttle away from poor mileage. Most of the issues I see with EB owners and mileage comes down to them either wanting to use the power and not being ready for the consequences, or just trying to drive it like previous NA vehicles, and getting into it a bit too much due to muscle memory.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the truck, I think it will all adjust in time.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
Sorry if I missed it, I mainly skimmed OPs replies, but are both trucks the same size tank? There is a 26 and 36 gallon tank. A lot of your post seemed around miles per tank, and if your 3.3L had the 36 gallon but you weren't aware there were other options and just got the standard 26 with your 2.7L, that would, of course, account for the difference. I have seen a lot of posts where someone bought an F-150 off the lot that had the 36 gallon, then got a newer truck later off the lot and had no idea they had a 36 gallon "option" in the last truck, and are wondering why their tank is so small. There are a million option combos on these trucks, it's easy to overlook those things.

I don't have a 2.7L for 2021, but it's a carryover engine from last gen, no major changes, and in my 2019 and 2017 I would get 600 miles on a 36 gallon tank in normal mainly city driving, and 700-800 if on long trips, mostly highway. That was consistent between both trucks, although the Lariat did slightly worse than the XLT, but it was also a couple hundreds pounds heavier.

You may also need to slightly train your foot. I spoke about this going from the 2.7L to the 3.5L PB, but I have driven the 2.7L so long, I could get up to the speed I wanted just by feel alone. I would pull out of our neighborhood and get up to 45 and set the cruise just by feel, and 9/10 times, I was right on, or within 1MPH. With this PB, if I do it by feel, I am doing 60. The truck is just feels like it is working less hard to get up to that speed, and it throws me off, significantly. So I am re-learning things.

That 2.7L, in a similar way, will get you up to speed quite a bit quicker than the 3.3L. It's a quick engine. You may be by muscle memory putting a bit more into the throttle than you would need to get comparable acceleration, just because you are used to the 3.3L. With the turbo happy nature of the 2.7L in city driving, this can be a fuel killer. I noted a 2MPG difference in my average when I was super smooth and gentle on the throttle driving around town compared to later in my ownership where I would be a little more "spirited" with it.

Anyway, just some ideas. Boosted engines are very different beasts. They can return great mileage and power, but they are always a little too much throttle away from poor mileage. Most of the issues I see with EB owners and mileage comes down to them either wanting to use the power and not being ready for the consequences, or just trying to drive it like previous NA vehicles, and getting into it a bit too much due to muscle memory.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the truck, I think it will all adjust in time.
Yes I forgot to mention they both had the 36 gallon tank.
Thanks for all your insight. @Roady and @Rich1982 schooled me earlier with similar information from your post and made it a lot easier to understand that a smaller engine doesn’t always necessarily equal better mpg.

but as mentioned, I’ve been very fortunate that this was pretty much my only concern which turns out to be not a concern at all.

there’s a few other things I would change with this truck like having it stay on your desired mode and also finding a way to watch something on that massive screen.

I have a feel that someone is eventually going to find a way to plug in a USB or something into that screen and watch all kinds of wild stuff ???

Sponsored

Jaross

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 STX supercrew fx4
What engine do you have and how many km’s/miles do you get per tank??

When my 2018 XLT with the 3.3 V6 was brand new I would get around 1000-1200 km’s(620-745 miles) per tank. After about a year and onwards I would get 900-1000km’s/tank.

I’m just under 2600km’s on my new 2021 XLT that has the 2.7 EcoBoost and I haven’t been able to get over 900km’s/tank on any of my fill ups.

The first tank I didn’t really drive it in a way that was mindful of how much gas I was burning and I think I got less than 800km’s on that tank.
But the 2-3 tanks after that I’ve been trying really hard to drive in the most fuel efficient manner to see how many km’s I could get from a single tank. The current tank will be lucky to make it past 900km’s.

- For all fill ups I waited until the dash said 0 km’s to empty then I would fill it to the tits and would stop recording the mileage once it said 0 again.
- I ALWAYS drive in ECO Mode and I always turn off Auto Start/Stop.
- I’ve only used regular gas. The few times I used the expensive gas on my 2018 I got less than 50-60 extra km’s out of the tank so not worth it to me. Especially since I don’t plan to keep the truck after the lease.

I haven’t had the time to do any kind of review but after about a month of having my new 2021 F150 I haven’t had any mechanical or technical issues.
The Navigation stopped working once and the fuel efficiency is dog sh*t but other than that, this truck has been very solid.

And not sure if I mentioned this; if you’re in Canada and your dealer tries to give you the Bison brand tonneau cover tell them to stick in their butt. It’s really bad.

I haven’t done any mods. Just removed the antenna, added 5% tints all around and installed a dash cam. I think it’s very stupid that factory-installed dash cams are available on other Ford vehicles like the mustang but not the f150.

91BCFC5D-C607-4796-BC5D-C8371F054B15.jpeg
What is the deal with the Bison Tonneau. Do you have the hard or soft, most reviews I have seen are quite good for the price.

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
What is the deal with the Bison Tonneau. Do you have the hard or soft, most reviews I have seen are quite good for the price.
I got the hard tri-fold bison. It’s on their website for about $600 CDN.
The dealer promised me the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 and gave me this instead. Similar design but worlds apart in quality and finish.

If you just want to keep the box covered and don’t really go in and out of it, I would’ve said this thing would be decent for that.
But just last week one of the very cheap clamps that holds it shut came undone(which happens frequently) and came apart and now I’m missing the hardware to put it back together.
Now anyone can just open it up anytime so I had to take all my stuff out of it.

The production cost on this item cannot be more than $10-20. Not good for something that is meant to protect your belongings.

It’s so bad that when I replace it with something else I’m not even going to try to sell. Shit I wouldn’t even give this thing away. I’m going to smash it. I’ll make a video of that for you guys.

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
I really think you hate your ford truck and Ford from all your negative post---you should just move on to another brand--try a Ram, maybe Nissan titan
If you've been around long enough, you've seen a lot of this from Eric. This compilation is just a small sample, unfortunately...When you put all his posts into context, this is definitely another hate post.

I’m not taking it.

A few people have posted checklists for when your new 2021 f150 arrives but there’s been so many issue-related threads that my modified checklist pretty much guarantees that I’m not going to be driving a 2021 F150, unless it can fly and. I’m a very picky person but I don’t possess the ability to turn down a street legal flying vehicle.

Ladies and gentlemen, these are brand new vehicles costing tens of thousands of dollars we’re talking about. Not some project car that we spent a few hundred dollars for and have a checklist of mods were looking forward to.
It’s more than concerning. It’s ridiculous. You took the time to create a power system with enough juice to run a small house(which doesn’t even work) and fold down seats(which would only be useful to people that sleep in their vehicles, which is mostly NOT people that can afford vehicles over $60k) but you can’t even deliver a product with properly sealed headlights???
I know this is a F150 based site by why is everyone ignoring the fact that this company doesn’t care about any of you loyal customers and is repeatedly finding ways to disappoint you.
So to make your brand new truck do what it’s designed to do you need to downgrade your existing devices?? Am I the only one bothered by this. And apparently this downgrading advice doesn’t even solve the problem.
The way Ford orchestrates what the final product looks like is beyond frustrating. They have a very decent spread of variations that cater to almost all desires but they don’t let you have Exactly what you want.

Getting a custom-ordered and brand new F150 should be one of life’s greatest moments. Ford has completely ruined it for me to the point that I just let my wife take full control of the building process in exchange for a pass to get a new sports car this summer.
But I swear to god when this truck arrives and I share pictures on this forum you guys are gonna think I’m Clint Eastwood or some other older buckaroo that spends half the year sleeping and the other half tanning in the Caribbean.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
I have the big tank, get about 1100 or so but I never let it get that low. Computer says I get about 10.5 to 11L/100km

OP
OP
Eric

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I'm pretty blown away by the milage people are squeezing out of their coyotes.

Hell... I'm lucky if I get 38 out of my Honda VTX Hardly Davidson!

I can't wait to see what it can do in a reg cab short bed.
(IF... I can manage to keep my foot out of it long enough to see)?
If I could go back in time I would definitely get the 5 Litre. The loss of a few extra miles is made up for just with the sound alone

Sponsored

bito

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 21 Iconic Silver STX
2.7L, Crew Cab STX, Normal Drive Mode, Auto-Start/Stop Sometimes (when i forget), 600 miles (70% city) put it on so far from when i picked it up from the dealer... i started a new trip leaving the dealer and the avg 25 flat. lifetime avg is around 23.7. still on the same tank of gas when i left the dealer.
Ford Pass says i have 180 miles until empty.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I love how people complain about MPG (not just this thread) and the first thing they do is turn off start/stop SMH
some of us travel 5 miles or more between signals or traffic control.
not worth it to me to have it cycle off for 30 seconds just to restart.
Besides, freaks me outa bit when the truck dies.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I filled up this morning and checked my mileage again.
At my last fill up, I adjusted the Fuel AFE down to get a more realistic mpg reading on the dash.

dashboard was telling me 20.1 mpg, and my ‘hand calculation’ is telling me 20.2 mpg.

Im pretty good with that being as close as it is and won’t need to adjust again.

Happy with the mileage the “Super 8” 4x4 5.0 is giving me with my particular type of usage At 3500 miles.
Sponsored