First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
Beta testers, do you see any reason the car “wings” could not be welded skid plate?
I don't see why they couldn't be welded. Although I'm not sure if they intend to use them on the other engines and they need to be removed for fitment? Like how the current skid plates are made with a smaller edge bent upwards.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
The reason for the wings to be separate from what I can tell is to account for minor differences in the exhaust. You can move them to the outside to get more clearance around the exhaust if you have to.

Otherwise, yes, they could be 1 piece.

Also it is likely a lot easier to ship, though not sure how the increased weight is vs the smaller box.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I don't see why they couldn't be welded. Although I'm not sure if they intend to use them on the other engines and they need to be removed for fitment? Like how the current skid plates are made with a smaller edge bent upwards.
They can't reuse the PB model on other engines due to the back cross beam being moved further back on teh truck. That is why the "normal" version requires the extra brackets to reach back.

I much prefer this "specialized" version though that doesn't use the brackets, even if it comes at a greater cost.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I was wondering if there was some material size restriction. Perhaps you can only get that material in certain sizes and to increase the size of the raw material would be even more cost prohibitive.

erixgix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lariat 502A PB BAP
$620 :eek:

I think I would start running things over on purpose to make sure i was getting my money’s worth!

Nice feedback beta gents.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally got it all fully installed. Wish I knew wed night that I only had like 10 more minutes left lol.

PXL_20220810_234621418.jpg

PXL_20220811_203521019.jpg

PXL_20220811_203527967.jpg

PXL_20220811_203516128.MP.jpg
Looks nice and clean with that FX bracket. Can you tell me if you think the wings on the side offer much more protection than if you left the wings off?

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Looks nice and clean with that FX bracket. Can you tell me if you think the wings on the side offer much more protection than if you left the wings off?
The only protection I'd think the wings would give is blocking out debris if you're off road. Even then what ever got in there would eventually rattle out if the wings were off. But just now going back and looking at pictures it's possible the wings may even hold in debris if it gets in there. Tough call I say.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The only protection I'd think the wings would give is blocking out debris if you're off road. Even then what ever got in there would eventually rattle out if the wings were off. But just now going back and looking at pictures it's possible the wings may even hold in debris if it gets in there. Tough call I say.
Yeah I was wondering about not only getting more air flow under there but if they could be left off maybe even saving a couple bucks. I'm not looking for a "full carriage" plate for off road protection, I do just want cat protection from goober with a sawzall. The wings may offer some extra protection but I have not seen for myself if they do. Your feedback is wonderful!

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I would say they fully obfuscate the cats though without them you probably still couldn't cut them out. Their last one didn't have such big wings so I guess only Talons Garage can tell us the thinking behind it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Yeah I was wondering about not only getting more air flow under there but if they could be left off maybe even saving a couple bucks. I'm not looking for a "full carriage" plate for off road protection, I do just want cat protection from goober with a sawzall. The wings may offer some extra protection but I have not seen for myself if they do. Your feedback is wonderful!
I have the same thing going on with their front skid plate, you get two pieces where one of them you need to remove the active dam to install. I'd rather get rid of that felt guard underneath, I think I've heard called the diaper, Lol. You'd need to buy both to get the one. Maybe they'll sell individually if enough was warranted to be sold.
Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate Screenshot_20220812-070803_Samsung Internet

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
I would say they fully obfuscate the cats though without them you probably still couldn't cut them out. Their last one didn't have such big wings so I guess only Talons Garage can tell us the thinking behind it.
That's a good point, I could see someone slide their arm with a sawzall and yank it out with the wings off.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is a great shot from under the truck. I see your point with the trans plate. That alone might be a nice option especially if it requires a lot less modifying. Heavy off roaders might look differently but just for light off road and regular protection, that might be perfect.

That shot also gives a nice look at the wings. They do appear to be nicely shaped for the truck. If they do offer some additional protection from cat theft, then that is the whole point anyway IMO.

Talons did good to pick you two for beta testers. Nice posts. I'll be glad to hear your thoughts on any oil change. For me though I plan to use that Valvomax with a long hose so I know I will not have any issues or mess from the plate. I just wish the filter was engineered to have a little easier access, but like they say people in hell want ice water too. :)

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Anyone weighed the Talon's plate?
Does "Heavy as F@$%$!" Count? ;)

According to UPS tracking, it was 40lbs shipped (in box). I would subtract at least 1-2lb for the box, but that's a guess.
Sponsored