First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
I don't think I can install mine tonight. One of the wings is right in the middle of the exhaust. I can't even lift it up. I guess I can try moving the wind to the outside, but not sure that will help.

PXL_20220810_232107557.MP.jpg
Sorry but rereading what I said may be misleading. What I mean is to actually swap each wing. Left should be on right and the opposite.

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Dammit, I have the wings installed backwards don't I....lol
When I started to bolt them on I nearly kept going that way but thought what you mentioned, it would hit up into the exhaust. So easy to do.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
When I started to bolt them on I nearly kept going that way but thought what you mentioned, it would hit up into the exhaust. So easy to do.
The are asymmetrical so I guessed on which part goes where. I guess I got it right in one direction but. It the other... Lol. Oh
well, you live and learn

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
@Mcbutter I'm guessing you don't have this bracket. Is it part of the fx4 package? I wonder if those 2 bolts will hold it on or if I still need the long ones. I'm gonna email them and ask.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate PXL_20220810_235207130

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate PXL_20220810_235434143.NIGHT

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
@Mcbutter I'm guessing you don't have this bracket. Is it part of the fx4 package? I wonder if those 2 bolts will holt it on or if I still need the long ones. I'm gonna email them and ask.

PXL_20220810_235207130.jpg

PXL_20220810_235434143.NIGHT.jpg
Yeah that's correct, I don't have the fx4 package. I was wondering if that was where the new transfer case plate connected they have coming soon too. Definitely meant for the fx4 package from your pictures. Looking at one of their pictures I'd say it uses the factory bolts but I'd ask too.
Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate Screenshot_20220810-200459_Samsung Internet

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
With this plate on, does it interfere with the oil filter diverters?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Got it put up, but not fully secured. Had to stop to help the wife with kids, house, etc. I'll finish it up tomorrow after work (I work from home, so no, I won't be driving it until I secure it...lol)

I ended up just reattaching that back skid plate over the Talons garage one and I already installed the driver side bolt. Tomorrow I'll install the back passenger bolt and check everything to ensure it's tightened up.

Thanks for the help, @Mcbutter. Talons garage was pretty responsive to to my questions. I was getting help from multiple sources...lol

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate PXL_20220811_000926887.MP

Last edited:

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Thanks Frank and Mcbutter! This is extremely valuable documentation of the install and let Talons know about your findings and install "tricks". It would good for him to incorporate that information in any instruction sheet he may include. Especially about the wing placement.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts after final install and your thoughts about any oil change issues to be aware of!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Got it put up, but not fully secured. Had to stop to help the wife with kids, house, etc. I'll finish it up tomorrow after work (I work from home, so no, I won't be driving it until I secure it...lol)

I ended up just reattaching that back skid plate over the gallons garage one and I already installed the driver side bolt. Tomorrow I'll install the back passenger bolt and check everything to ensure it's tightened up.

Thanks for the help, @Mcbutter. Talons garage was pretty responsive to to my questions. I was getting help from multiple sources...lol

PXL_20220811_000926887.MP.jpg
Glad to see you got it installed and appreciate the info you passed on here too. Talons Garage was very responsive to me as well, great company.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Thanks Frank and Mcbutter! This is extremely valuable documentation of the install and let Talons know about your findings and install "tricks". It would good for him to incorporate that information in any instruction sheet he may include. Especially about the wing placement.

I can't wait to hear your thoughts after final install and your thoughts about any oil change issues to be aware of!

Thanks again!
Definitely! I'm happy to have gotten a chance to help them out and likewise to everyone here in the forums. Either tomorrow or Saturday I plan to change the oil so should be able to tell everyone that experience very soon.

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
With this plate on, does it interfere with the oil filter diverters?
That I'm not sure of yet, I am changing my oil this weekend or possibly tomorrow. Will report back with how that goes.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect

Thanks again!
(emphasis added by me)

NP :) Glad I got the opportunity to "beta" test this. As to the instructions, my plan is to try and help them with a better write up. I wish I had thought of this beforehand because I could have taken more pictures (specifically of all the hardware spread out).

@Mcbutter, with your permission, I would like to potentially use some of your pictures in my write up

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
(emphasis added by me)

NP :) Glad I got the opportunity to "beta" test this. As to the instructions, my plan is to try and help them with a better write up. I wish I had thought of this beforehand because I could have taken more pictures (specifically of all the hardware spread out).

@Mcbutter, with your permission, I would like to potentially use some of your pictures in my write up
100% please do use them. I agree about being nice to help them out. I wanted to try for some videos too but I'm not good at any of that, plus the editing side.

Looks like the large spacers, the FX4 bracket difference, and the wing orientation is the biggest things to mention.

If you wanted to mention my name, Josh, that way they know we worked together on the forums for others to see and help. I had asked them if it was ok to post this beforehand too and Shaun said blast them everywhere.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Beta testers, do you see any reason the cat “wings” could not be welded to the skid plate?
Sponsored

Last edited: