Sponsored

Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have mine in the bed of my truck waiting to install. Between storms and other last minute life obligations, I've not had a chance to install mine. I plan to try again this weekend. Looks like you don't have it raised that much so I'm hoping I can get away without lifting it at all (fingers crossed).

One thing I will mention. They have other skid plates that cover other parts, but they don't work with this version of hte cat cover. I'm considering getting more and Talon's Garage let me know that they are working on other skit plats to work with this one.

BTW, when I got mine it already had some battle damage. No fault to Talon's Garage, this was all on UPS:

1660072906400.png
Well in glass half full fashion those scars will probably show some would be thief that someone already tried to steal this and it was too much work. They must have moved on and so should they. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
I have mine in the bed of my truck waiting to install. Between storms and other last minute life obligations, I've not had a chance to install mine. I plan to try again this weekend. Looks like you don't have it raised that much so I'm hoping I can get away without lifting it at all (fingers crossed).

One thing I will mention. They have other skid plates that cover other parts, but they don't work with this version of hte cat cover. I'm considering getting more and Talon's Garage let me know that they are working on other skit plats to work with this one.

BTW, when I got mine it already had some battle damage. No fault to Talon's Garage, this was all on UPS:

1660072906400.png
Nice, glad to see someone else in the forum get one for testing. My box had a good notch out of it, glad no bolts slid out.

I should have lifted the truck a little bit higher to get in there easier but I pretty much slid under from the front and bench pressed it up while my wife got one bolt started. If I was by myself I'd probably have gotten the jack lift centered under it, maybe piece of 2x4 to keep it even. Please let us know how yours goes, definitely interested.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Nice, glad to see someone else in the forum get one for testing. My box had a good notch out of it, glad no bolts slid out.

I should have lifted the truck a little bit higher to get in there easier but I pretty much slid under from the front and bench pressed it up while my wife got one bolt started. If I was by myself I'd probably have gotten the jack lift centered under it, maybe piece of 2x4 to keep it even. Please let us know how yours goes, definitely interested.
Will do. Talon's garage got me the instructions, so I'll be following those and providing feedback on them. Hopefully no big distractions this weekend :)

I'm also interested in putting in something like a fumoto drain valve, but might just wait and do it when I change my oil.

I haven't checked yet, I know there is an opening for oil changes, does it pretty much line up with the existing drain plug? I assume so.

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
Will do. Talon's garage got me the instructions, so I'll be following those and providing feedback on them. Hopefully no big distractions this weekend :)

I'm also interested in putting in something like a fumoto drain valve, but might just wait and do it when I change my oil.

I haven't checked yet, I know there is an opening for oil changes, does it pretty much line up with the existing drain plug? I assume so.
I had already mounted the drain plate on and actually didn't look to see it being lined up or not. This Friday or Saturday I do plan to change the oil for the first time in the truck so timing worked out great for testing it out.

I definitely want that valve now also. Although I don't think I can get it in time for this oil change as I've got a 1k mile trip coming up so the drain can wait until next time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
I am interested but the price, $620, is darn steep.
It is pricey I agree. I would only say if you aren't off roading but are in an area that could be easily hit by someone in seconds with a sawzall and off with your cats I believe it's worth the insurance. I haven't looked at prices but I remember someone saying both catalytic converters were around $3K together. Plus if they are backordered like majority of parts are today the wait to be up in running again.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
I am interested but the price, $620, is darn steep.
I don't disagree but the cats are a few K to replace and with a 4x4 truck they're pretty easy. Seattle has gotten really bad so I feel it's a worthwhile investment. I'd rather give my money to a good company than a thief and ford.

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
@Mcbutter, I'm installing mine tonight. What the hell are the 3 aluminum washers for?
At first I used just two as spacers on the rear holes in between the cross member and the plate itself. I don't think they're needed really but I tried it there. Nothing in the instructions either about them.

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
It is pricey I agree. I would only say if you aren't off roading but are in an area that could be easily hit by someone in seconds with a sawzall and off with your cats I believe it's worth the insurance. I haven't looked at prices but I remember someone saying both catalytic converters were around $3K together. Plus if they are backordered like majority of parts are today the wait to be up in running again.
is not this covered under comprehensive coverage?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
It probably would be but then again depending on what your deductible is and the hassle with during the process of towing the truck and waiting for them is worth the money to hopefully never be in that situation.

An older truck I'd probably have no issue driving back home with them cut out but the way these new ones are calibrated I'd hate to see what would happen driving practically straight out of the headers.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Most likely. But once you factor in your deductible, the inconvenience of dealing with it, not to mention who knows what the availability is to get a new one (not that Ford’s track record for parts availability inspires any confidence) it starts to balance out better.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I don't think I can install mine tonight. One of the wings is right in the middle of the exhaust. I can't even lift it up. I guess I can try moving the wind to the outside, but not sure that will help.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate PXL_20220810_232107557.MP

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
I don't think I can install mine tonight. One of the wings is right in the middle of the exhaust. I can't even lift it up. I guess I can try moving the wind to the outside, but not sure that will help.

PXL_20220810_232107557.MP.jpg
Swap the wings to the other sides. I started to do the same thing but it should go the other way.

OP
OP
Mcbutter

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation

PXL_20220810_232107557.MP.jpg
Like this.

Ford F-150 Talons Garage New Powerboost Skid Plate 20220806_092231
Sponsored