Sponsored

Tailgate work surface delete?

johnnyh55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 lariat
Is it possible to remove the tailgate work surface and replace it with a panel instead? I don't really have a use for it so I am afraid it will get all scratched up by loading and unloading the bed. If not maybe ill but a piece of steel to the same size and drill some holes and then get it line-x and bolt into place.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Is it possible to remove the tailgate work surface and replace it with a panel instead? I don't really have a use for it so I am afraid it will get all scratched up by loading and unloading the bed. If not maybe ill but a piece of steel to the same size and drill some holes and then get it line-x and bolt into place.
Wouldn't having the work surface be the same thing as adding a protector on the tailgate? Just a thought.

PeanutGallery

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Occupation
Architect
Not sure how interchangeable they are, but my Lariat had a standard metal panel on the interior face instead of the work surface version—not sure what option I excluded that nixed it (tailgate step maybe?) but I installed a BedRug liner that would’ve covered it anyway.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
My plastic tailgate work surface is covered with a Bedrug Classic Bedliner. However, I can still access my plastic tailgate work surface when needed (ruler?) by unsnapping the velcro. I could also just screw the tailgate work surface over the top of the BedRug if I wanted to, but I don't want to.

I purchased my BedRug direct from BedRug and got it in 2 days. The BedRug weighs about 10 pounds total and is easy to install. I couldn't be any happier with my choice. 5 stars!

If you decide not to go the Line-X route, Stage 3 Motorsports is showing BedRugs on sale for $395 with free shipping. That's a pretty sweet price. Stage 3 Motorsports is also giving away a custom built 2020 F150 Lariat if you enter by 30 Nov 2021.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2015-2021-f150-bed-liners-bedrugs.html

Ford F-150 Tailgate work surface delete? bed ru
Ford F-150 Tailgate work surface delete? 20211117_203744

Last edited:

oldrayseasoning

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 PowerBoost XLT
Occupation
Chef
It’s made of similar material to a drop in liner anyway. No more prone to scratching than a ribbed plastic piece. The Dualiner I bought for mine omits the tailgate piece and just keeps the work surface.
Sponsored