Tailgate step issue

Krock7360

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Used the tailgate step yesterday to retrieve an item from truck bed. Went to push the step back into the top slot of tailgate and it appeared broken. It wouldn’t go back in. I had to pop off the top black plastic trim piece and use a screwdriver to get the black button to release back into position. I’m 200 lbs and the step seems awfully weak and cheap for a 70,000 dollar truck. 2 recalls, rust underneath and now this. Love the truck overall but never had issues like this with my GM‘s (First Ford)
Anyone else have this tailgate issue ?
Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Never had a problem, I am 220 - 230 lbs and have used the step somewhat regularly on my last 3 trucks at least...

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I am ... Ummm, heavier.

No issues.

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I’m no lightweight and mine works fine. Looks the same as the one on my 2016 which worked fine as well. But, I have noticed the new one takes a real slam to get it to latch. I’m thinking the latch may need a little adjustment.

SEPA F150

First Name
Shiva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Raptor
I’m no lightweight and mine works fine. Looks the same as the one on my 2016 which worked fine as well. But, I have noticed the new one takes a real slam to get it to latch. I’m thinking the latch may need a little adjustment.
Used the tailgate step yesterday to retrieve an item from truck bed. Went to push the step back into the top slot of tailgate and it appeared broken. It wouldn’t go back in. I had to pop off the top black plastic trim piece and use a screwdriver to get the black button to release back into position. I’m 200 lbs and the step seems awfully weak and cheap for a 70,000 dollar truck. 2 recalls, rust underneath and now this. Love the truck overall but never had issues like this with my GM‘s (First Ford)
Anyone else have this tailgate issue ?
I had the same issue. Had to slam the crap of of it to lock and button was hard to press to release.

You need to adjust the latch on the under side of the step. Two torx screws, then slide the out some more and re-tighten. There is a YT video out there.

I had the same issue with my hood latch. Had to slam the crap out of it to shut. I loosened the two bolts on the latch and moved it up then tighten again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krock7360

Krock7360

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
I had the same issue. Had to slam the crap of of it to lock and button was hard to press to release.

You need to adjust the latch on the under side of the step. Two torx screws, then slide the out some more and re-tighten. There is a YT video out there.

I had the same issue with my hood latch. Had to slam the crap out of it to shut. I loosened the two bolts on the latch and moved it up then tighten again.
Thanks so much !

OP
OP
Krock7360

Krock7360

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Here is the video
I adjusted the latch and it closes now but it still seems like a weak crappy part to me. Hard to believe I have to work on a new truck

jb55

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
IT
/\ Doing this at lunch. Mine shuts and latches fine and randomly will not.
Sponsored