First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I've seen the same scenario happen to two others on here so I'n leaning towards a problem with the recall process or parts as the problem. If not that some dealers consistently make the exact same
Mistake causing the same Symptoms, which I think is less probable.

'21 Powerboost purchased new March 2022.

Other than a few recalls handled at oil changes the truck has been almost perfect for over a year but I decided (regretfully) to get this done due to a handfull of unintended tailgate openings. Went in just for that 5/9. Did not get done until 5/10 as the rewire is pretty involved. I was given a loaner due to they're being unable to finish by COB.

5/10: Work was finished. That afternoon I turned the loaner in and drove her home and realized headlights and tail lamps were turning on on their own with truck off 10 minutes after locking it. I could pretty much set my watch to it. Happened in "off" and in "auto."

5/11: Turned it back in, took loaner back, got a call saying a code indicated it was the headlight switch issue. Updated Switch came in in 5 days while I used the loaner. It arrived 5/16.

5/17: Got it put in. Got another call saying headlights still coming on and now door locks acting up and they want to dig into it again today.

5/18: waiting on a call for the new answer. I am guessing it's gonna be BCM which had to be messed with during the tailgate work. So 2-3 more days to get another part in and puttering around in this Escape for another weekend unless we really luck out and just find a wiring issue, or re setting/ re-programming things once
More does the trick.

My advice is follow the tailgate recall advisory, don't let a dealer dig into your wiring like this unless you've had unintended openings. Even then if not often consider holding off as I suspect this recall may get updated again when they figure out what it's doing to some
Trucks.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Just gonna keep my notes on the timeline here in case it comes time to escalate

No call today, 5/18. The dealer is under 10 minutes from me. Truck is being kept inside the shop over night for the first time since it's been there, which I'd guess Means either it's in pieces and they're still diagnosing more tomorrow or maybe they think they have it figured and they're letting it sit to see if the battery drains by the am to verify it's good. Planning to call in the AM to find out what's new.

Last edited:
OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
It's With Ford Customer Service now. Still no resolution

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Did you have unintended opening? The 'fix' was to require double press of the button/s to open it. I did this w/ FDRS. Unfortunately I can't FDRS the wipers. Still waiting on them to figure out the headlight thing. Quite sad they're so disconnected as to not be able to figure out WTH is up with it. If I was CEO I'd have 2 people sleeping in a truck w/ the issue to pull all software / codes and fix the damn thing. Instead they string customers along while they have techs pat their heads and rub their bellies. It's issues like this why I have no interest in picking up a darkhorse or any other ford for that matter until I see real change in how they handle everything.

OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
The first couple times I figured I hit the button but it became clear after that it was dropping on its own. Happened on at least one occasion after I dropped the keys in the cupholder.

21M08 is a complete rewiring of the mechanism. If it wasn't a safety issue or could cause body damage I wouldn't have bothered. I still remember the sudden unintended acceleration fiasco with Toyota and the wife pressuring me to get the accelerator pedal modifications done on my Tundra when the 'problem' was all baseless hype from people who hit the wrong pedal. The truck's Throttle response became horrible as a result and Toyota had to do 2 more fixes to get it back to where it was before the first recall job.

Since then there are some recalls I blow off if they seem like more trouble than they're worth but I felt like this one needed to be done. If we at least had a diagnosis and were waiting for parts I wouldn't be worked up about it. But One part thrown at it after a 5 day wait without fixing it and 2 business days on top of that scratching their heads was as much as I was willing to put up with. Let Ford corporate call and get updates and relay them to me. I have a job and don't have the time to keep being told the service rep is on another line with 5 people waiting in front of him but he'll get right back to me if he doesn't forget and run out the door as soon as the crowd dies down and his shift ends.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
No new findings 5/18 and 5/19. Emailed the dealer GM and brought in Ford Customer Service Friday 5/19 telling everybody WTF is someone supposed to do if they brought a 6.5 foot bed half ton in for recall work shortly before a planned road trip with a full bed and 3 bikes on a bike rack and their family and a dog and they suddenly find themselves in an Escape with no hitch or roof rack with their truck sidelined by the recall work.

Now waiting on more information on the truck's status that's supposed to come this Thursday. I know it's still been worked on in the interim so hopefully they've pinpointed a part they're expecting in.

Last edited:
OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
Fixed as if yesterday, corrupt software.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I'm glad it's fixed!

I'm sceptical of the description "corrupt software".
But it does sound like what they would tell the customer.

Software update maybe? :)

OP
OP

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I'm glad it's fixed!

I'm sceptical of the description "corrupt software".
But it does sound like what they would tell the customer.

Software update maybe? :)
I dont know but I was not given new keys so I'd think it rules out undisclosed BCM replacement
Sponsored