First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Anyone using one that works really well with the F-150 tailgate shape and backup camera? I've got a 1Up rack that I've been using and I also throw a yoga matt over the tailgate for short trips. I've read reviews on RaceFace, Thule, Dakine, etc. and there are so many conflicting reviews especially when it comes to the unique curved shape of our tailgates. I also have a bedrug installed and I'd like have to cut some slots in it for the straps to pass through which is not a problem.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Dakine DLX Curve Large fits great on the 2021 F150:

IMG_20211022_121706589_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211022_121646896_HDR.jpg
Do you leave it on all the time or take it off when not in use? I haven't used a tailgate pad before so not sure how easy/quick it is to take on and off.

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I leave it on all the time. With the Leer tonneau closed, someone would need to cut the straps to steal it. I personally am not concerned if it lasts only a year or two being on all the time. Taking it on and off is not hard, but extremely inconvenient unless you have extremely long arms. It only takes me a few minutes to install it again, but I have to have the tailgate angled perfectly in order to get the straps around and that is not something I want to be doing all the time and I ride frequently enough to where it just makes more sense to keep it on.

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021

Sponsored

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
I’m nervous to try. I have heard horror stories of gates not fully latching and losing the bike on the highway. The 1 up is such a good rack.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I regularly used a Raceface pad on my 2015 F150. However, because of the thickness and curvature of the tailgate, most bikes didn‘t fit well in the middle of the tailgate (though I could still make it work). I‘ve since switched to a 1UP HD rack, which now lives on my hitch most of the summer

Ford F-150 Tailgate pad for bikes 89D9AE8A-1DB5-4788-9FBF-842FF206A3AA

Last edited:

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
I’m nervous to try. I have heard horror stories of gates not fully latching and losing the bike on the highway. The 1 up is such a good rack.
But it looks so hardcore to hang your MTB off the gate :D

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
I leave it on all the time. With the Leer tonneau closed, someone would need to cut the straps to steal it. I personally am not concerned if it lasts only a year or two being on all the time. Taking it on and off is not hard, but extremely inconvenient unless you have extremely long arms. It only takes me a few minutes to install it again, but I have to have the tailgate angled perfectly in order to get the straps around and that is not something I want to be doing all the time and I ride frequently enough to where it just makes more sense to keep it on.
Ever any scratching or anything on your paint, from the dust/dirt getting under the pad?

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
Ever any scratching or anything on your paint, from the dust/dirt getting under the pad?
That is a definite concern and it is yet to be seen, but there are two things that help address that:

1. The inside liner of the Dakine is a soft felt like material almost like a micro fiber cloth
2. I don't cinch the straps fully tight, but rather just enough to hold the pad in place

Sponsored

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I haven’t had any problems underneath with my Dakine though I recently noticed the carbon is getting pretty beat up where the bike rubs against the pad.

Voss

First Name
Stephanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PB Lariat
I got the EVOC pad, I read good reviews on it and I really liked the color, but I would say the fit isn't great. I saw a tundra in the trailhead parking lot the other day and it fit perfectly, not sure if they had a secret or the tailgate is that different shaped...It gaps and is actually a little too wide so you have to watch it doesn't get caught in the tailgate latches. I've noticed some rubbing on the tailgate paint where the stitching is on the inside of pad, I might see if I can add a softer padding over those sections on it.
As a pro: I do think it holds the bikes really well, I often check my rearview mirror when I'm about to hit a bump and the bikes don't move at all.

I don't leave it on all the time, but that's also b/c I don't plan on using it much going into winter.

Tip for easier install/unistall, if you loop one of the tailgate side cables around the latch bolt on the bed it holds the tailgate at the perfect angle to feed the straps through.

Chief2slo

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-59 Tremor
Occupation
Pilot
I run a Sensus tailgate pad and it’s amazing. Fits the tailgate, the top padding is extra thick to protect bikes, and it has a magnetic window for the camera that dose not restrict the view. I leave mine on all year until it starts snowing and I need the tonneau cover to keep the from filling up. Highly recommend ! Also look up ride wraps l shuttle pad” is a thick rubber decal / pad for your down tube on carbon bikes to protect against damage. Works wonders on my Stumpy Evo!
Sponsored

Last edited: