Sponsored

Tailgate opening damper, install picture. This tailgate tie down cleat MUST be Removed.

Rapid Red

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Test driver
Ford F-150 Tailgate opening damper, install  picture.   This tailgate tie down cleat MUST be Removed. 5607A248-D41C-47DC-AD37-171696C7458F

Sponsored

Last edited:

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2017 Expedition EL
The Ford accessories damper kit mounts behind the right side taillight and replaces the tailgate hinge, so no removal of tie down bracket necessary.

rjpicucci

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew XL
I had a Dee Zee damper and switched to the Ford for that reason. I didn't want to lose the cleat.

One thing that got me though was when I tried to remove the old hinge, I stripped both Torx bolts. They were on so tight the bolts essentially popped and stripped. I had to cut them out and order new Torx bolts and a new retainer plate because I couldn't extract the bolts from the plate either. I finally gave up trying to extract them and just ordered new bolts and plate....I hope yours isn't so bad if you go this route.

This is what you want.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/damper-assembly-13289007-1

Last edited:

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2017 Expedition EL
I had a Zee Dee damper and switched to the Ford for that reason. I didn't want to lose the cleat.

One thing that got me though was when I tried to remove the old hinge, I stripped both Torx bolts. They were on so tight the bolts essentially popped and stripped. I had to cut them out and order new Torx bolts and a new retainer plate because I couldn't extract the bolts from the plate either. I finally gave up trying to extract them and just ordered new bolts and plate....I hope yours isn't so bad if you go this route.

This is what you want.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/suspension/chassis-parts/damper-assembly-13289007-1
I had a similar experience but luckily didn't strip the torx heads out. Once the bolt was out noticed they overdid it on the thread sealant quite a bit. I ran the bolts through the wire wheel a couple times and the went back together with no issues.

Sponsored

Mbaz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt super crew 4x4
Occupation
Self
I had a Dee Zee damper and switched to the Ford for that reason. I didn't want to lose the cleat.

This is what you want.
Thanks for the link. Been looking for what will work while retaining the cleat. What side does this mount on? Do you mean passenger side (i.e. right side)? I have a Swingcase tool box installed on passenger side. Not sure this would work with that so I am hoping it can be installed on driver side. Thanks!

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 RCSB
Before I installed the Ford damper, I checked YouTube to see how others had done it - the directions that came with the damper were useless. YouTube had some people who took the tailgate all of the way off - others only partially removed it.

Not wanting to mess with disconnecting the cables to remove the tailgate, I stacked a couple of milk crates, a cardboard box and a folded towel so that the tailgate rested on the towel when opened.

With a place to rest the tailgate, I disengaged the right side hinge and pivoted the tailgate away from the truck enough so that I could remove the hinge bolts to install the damper.

I had to fight the torx bolts all the way out. There was a lot of cracking and snapping sounds - not good to hear on a truck with 500 miles on the odometer.

On examination of the torx bolts after I had removed them, I found what looked like red Loctite in the threads.

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
THANK YOU! I was gonna go with the DeeZee one til I saw the cleat needed to come out, then after hearing what has to be done for the factory one I was able to get the factory one added to the order.
Sponsored