Sponsored

Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s?

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My XLT has a locking tailgate and I imagine that most do nowadays. However, the latch is completely exposed from inside the bed and it is only a matter of time before someone figures out how to jimmy it open and posts it on YouTube.

Ford F-150 Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? E55B9D7C-3C25-447D-A58C-ECC036D0A69C
Ford F-150 Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? A6874BC8-5E6E-4BBB-BAE3-43DD34FFF275

I looked into getting another tailgate to debadge and fill the embossed F-150 figures and even without the hardware or camera and light, it’s super expensive.

I might look into putting in a lock or hose clamp even though I like to remove the tailgate to sweep up the bed. Or maybe even fabricate an alloy plate to cover the exposed latch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zdjelar

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
The Ford Accessory website says the right part for 2021s is VFL3Z-18168-B. Has anyone tried it and had a problem with fit?

Update: I took a closer look at the tailgate (see the photo below). It looks like the part above will not fit. But I think the best solution is to replace the holding screw with a tamper proof one, which you can get at McMaster. I'm pretty sure the screw is a 6mm x 1, 12mm.

IMG_1789.jpeg
That’s precisely what I said. Good to see someone else to same conclusion.

OP
OP
zdjelar

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
The Ford Accessory website says the right part for 2021s is VFL3Z-18168-B. Has anyone tried it and had a problem with fit?

Update: I took a closer look at the tailgate (see the photo below). It looks like the part above will not fit. But I think the best solution is to replace the holding screw with a tamper proof one, which you can get at McMaster. I'm pretty sure the screw is a 6mm x 1, 12mm.

IMG_1789.jpeg
How confident are you about the screw size? If so, that’s an easy purchase.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The 6mm x 1mm x 12mm worked perfectly. The Ford bolt has an integrated washer that is attached to the bolt, so I had to find another. I also used a drop of Loctite blue and some SuperLube and I’m good to go. I put an extra tamper proof Torq key in the truck. I think this would be pretty hard to get off without that key, not sure how you could do it without ruining the bolt.

Ford F-150 Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? 95E2CDF3-65F6-42CE-9E25-8CBFAC634001

Sponsored

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
The 6mm x 1mm x 12mm worked perfectly. The Ford bolt has an integrated washer that is attached to the bolt, so I had to find another. I also used a drop of Loctite blue and some SuperLube and I’m good to go. I put an extra tamper proof Torq key in the truck. I think this would be pretty hard to get off without that key, not sure how you could do it without ruining the bolt.

95E2CDF3-65F6-42CE-9E25-8CBFAC634001.jpeg
Where do I find the torq key? all I have is a ratchet set with those

95E2CDF3-65F6-42CE-9E25-8CBFAC634001.jpeg
Hello, I have a ratchet set with that, but is there a wrench or other "key" out there that I can throw in the glove box?

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
You need a special tool for tamper resistant Torq bolts. You can get the tool at McMaster, only $3 or so. Basically like a hex key with a special end.

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
You need a special tool for tamper resistant Torq bolts. You can get the tool at McMaster, only $3 or so. Basically like a hex key with a special end.
Ty, I took your lead and ordered the bolts, but looking around their site I didn't see a simple cheap tool like you describe. I was at work so might have missed it in my haste...I'll go back in there.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Ty, I took your lead and ordered the bolts, but looking around their site I didn't see a simple cheap tool like you describe. I was at work so might have missed it in my haste...I'll go back in there.
There is a link to the tool in the description of the bolts on the page where you order the bolts. Or you can search for Tamper-resistant torq and it'll pop up. The part number for the T27 L-key used on that bolt is 55525A29.

Last edited:

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
There is a link to the tool in the description of the bolts on the page where you order the bolts. Or you can search for Tamper-resistant torq and it'll pop up. The part number for the T27 L-key used on that bolt is 55525A29.
Thank you Lippy, meant to circle back yesterday. Really appreciate your help. I ordered 2. Very kind of you to make it basically idiot proof for me! Lol

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Anyone come across a tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? I ordered the typical McGard one but the plastic piece (for Ford’s) doesn’t fit. Did the tailgate change? Also seem to have a bolt currently holding it in place and appears if that was just a unique pattern bold (aka wheel locks) it would serve the same purpose.

Anyone put one on you’re happy with?

This was on the truck when I got it.
I vaguely recall discussing this when trying to order a 2020.
I guess the sales guy went ahead and put one on my 2021, but I was not charged for it at all.
It is a McGard lock with a Ford part number
Ford F-150 Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? F8EA44C6-36E8-4140-9494-59AC658ABDAD

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Didn't know where else to post this. Observations on locking tailgate from a person coming from an 2011 f150 with a keyed lock on the tailgate. Now when truck is locked, tailgate is also and with cover locked seems pretty secure. It won't unlock unless key fob in pocket but can open tailgate with truck still locked and key fob close. For me works exactly how I would want it to. For past truck owners this may have always been that way the last few years but loving the details.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Didn't know where else to post this. Observations on locking tailgate from a person coming from an 2011 f150 with a keyed lock on the tailgate. Now when truck is locked, tailgate is also and with cover locked seems pretty secure. It won't unlock unless key fob in pocket but can open tailgate with truck still locked and key fob close. For me works exactly how I would want it to. For past truck owners this may have always been that way the last few years but loving the details.
nothing is secure
I can see someone ripping the tailgate bezel right off for linkage access. Been being done for years.
Once that is off and the gate dropped, no big deal to remove a bolt and abscond with the gate.
Even the little hinge lock can be breached with some effort, and noise.
This lock comes with one of those keys with a weird design on the end, and a key number to match the flower shape of the key.
Otho got is foolproof, but every little bit will slow the crooks

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
nothing is secure
I can see someone ripping the tailgate bezel right off for linkage access. Been being done for years.
Once that is off and the gate dropped, no big deal to remove a bolt and abscond with the gate.
Even the little hinge lock can be breached with some effort, and noise.
This lock comes with one of those keys with a weird design on the end, and a key number to match the flower shape of the key.
Otho got is foolproof, but every little bit will slow the crooks
This one: https://accessories.ford.com/kit-lock-cylinder-repair-11334.html ? The part number matches up, but it looks a little different in your picture and the one in the link. It's hard to tell because of the different angles in the pictures.

nate2631

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Tremor
This was on the truck when I got it.
I vaguely recall discussing this when trying to order a 2020.
I guess the sales guy went ahead and put one on my 2021, but I was not charged for it at all.
It is a McGard lock with a Ford part number
F8EA44C6-36E8-4140-9494-59AC658ABDAD.jpeg
Do you have the power open and close tailgate?
Sponsored