First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Anyone come across a tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? I ordered the typical McGard one but the plastic piece (for Ford’s) doesn’t fit. Did the tailgate change? Also seem to have a bolt currently holding it in place and appears if that was just a unique pattern bold (aka wheel locks) it would serve the same purpose.

Anyone put one on you’re happy with?
Sponsored

Swegner99

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, 2017 Expedition EL
VFL3Z-18168-B is the Ford accessory part number.

Funny enough it is made by Mcgard, specific for the F150

Sacbone

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited in Star White
Occupation
Retired from printing, engaged in Real Estate management
I just use a hose clamp. Tighten it from the bottom. Just a deterrent, as is the McGard.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Dealer put one on mine before I even saw the truck.
Had no idea what the funny keys were for for a week when I opened the gate and saw it

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
I will admit I had to look up what you meant by tailgate Lock. Now I know where all those tailgates used in the GMC commercials come from.

Sponsored

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
My neighbor had his tailgate stolen in about 5 minutes when he was on a job site in Florida on his F-250. He had to move all the tools he had that they didn’t even try to steal out of the bed and into the cab for the ride back to Georgia. The insurance company said it is getting more and more common to have the tailgates stolen.

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Anyone come across a tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? I ordered the typical McGard one but the plastic piece (for Ford’s) doesn’t fit. Did the tailgate change? Also seem to have a bolt currently holding it in place and appears if that was just a unique pattern bold (aka wheel locks) it would serve the same purpose.

Anyone put one on you’re happy with?
Like mnsunset, I had to look into what you were talking about. Didn't know that was a "thing". All these years with my 2016 and never knew. Now that I have the 2021, and it's a Lariat, I feel like it's more than "just a truck", and I'm paying attention. Please tell me this is not an immediate concern if I drive around with it up all the time. I'm already paranoid about these catalytic converters disappearing... Lol

OP
OP
zdjelar

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
For those hearing about this for first time, it is a legit concern. I know several people who have had theirs stolen, one even while on vacation. And...they also stole his taillights.

Back to concern...the current McGard’s being sold, and previously worked fine, don’t fit the new gen. Just my 2 cents based on my own testing.

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
For those hearing about this for first time, it is a legit concern. I know several people who have had theirs stolen, one even while on vacation. And...they also stole his taillights.

Back to concern...the current McGard’s being sold, and previously worked fine, don’t fit the new gen. Just my 2 cents based on my own testing.
If my tailgate is up and locked can they still easily get it?

Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
So does the Ford part VFL3Z-18168-B mentioned above fit the 2021s?

Also, I have an electric tailgate that is locked whenever I lock the truck. Whenever it is in my driveway the truck is locked. So do I need this?

Last edited:

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
My neighbor had his stolen in the airport
parking lot. His F150 was new at the time and the worst of it was that his insurance wouldn’t replace it with a new one as it was too expensive. They made him take a refurbished one and painted it in his truck color.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
So does the Ford part VFL3Z-18168-B mentioned above fit the 2021s?

Also, I have an electric tailgate that is locked whenever I lock the truck. Whenever it is in my driveway the truck is locked. So do I need this?
Same situation, but also curious about having the tonneau cover on and locked. The tonneau isn't 100% secure, but would that and a locked tailgate be enough of a deterrent?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Same situation, but also curious about having the tonneau cover on and locked. The tonneau isn't 100% secure, but would that and a locked tailgate be enough of a deterrent?
Most likely. This would be a quick hit and run theft. No one will be spending time on getting around locks.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
The Ford Accessory website says the right part for 2021s is VFL3Z-18168-B. Has anyone tried it and had a problem with fit?

Update: I took a closer look at the tailgate (see the photo below). It looks like the part above will not fit. But I think the best solution is to replace the holding screw with a tamper proof one, which you can get at McMaster. I'm pretty sure the screw is a 6mm x 1, 12mm.

Ford F-150 Tailgate lock that fits the 2021s? IMG_1789
Sponsored

Last edited: