Tailgate lock needed?

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
The tailgate locks with the doors. Pretty sure on all trim levels.

- confirmed: looked at the most basic XL in my area and on the window sticker under standard equipment: “locking removable tailgate”

Last edited:

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
The 2021 F150 does or does not need tailgate locks?
I am thinking it needs it for me. Especially since the truck doesn't auto lock when I walk away.

I could easily leave it unlocked on accident and come out to have my tailgate gone.

Although, in all my years, I don't personally know anyone who has had a tailgate stolen.

But, at under $20, why not get one?

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I checked mine out the other day 2021 Lariat and it had a collar with bolt on the passenger side of the tailgate, check it out it might be on already

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Although, in all my years, I don't personally know anyone who has had a tailgate stolen.

The tailgate on my 79 Chev has vanished 3 times.
Now that the truck has been retired and is just sting, the gate is in a garage closet.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
I checked mine out the other day 2021 Lariat and it had a collar with bolt on the passenger side of the tailgate, check it out it might be on already
I just checked. Mine does not have one.

Sbdavis1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Lariat ordered 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Financial Planner, Lawyer
I am thinking it needs it for me. Especially since the truck doesn't auto lock when I walk away.

I could easily leave it unlocked on accident and come out to have my tailgate gone.

My neighbor had one stolen off his F250 when he was down on FL for work. It was backed into a parking spot almost in some bushes and they got it in less than 10 minutes from the time he parked. Had to move all his tools and everything into his can to drive home. Needless to say he got a lock for his replacement tailgate.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
I have seen enough talk on here about it. I just ordered the McGard. Their website says the F-150 version fits through 2021.

Although, Amazon says it doesn't. I'll see tomorrow. If not, I'll gift it to my neighbor for his 2018.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
My XLT gate locks / unlocks with the cab. Funny, I recall my previous (2018) XLT had a covered keyhole down by the tag that I never used (or really understood its purpose)... truth be told, I can't say if the '21 has anything similar - now I'll have to look lol.

Loosely related: I just set up a weight distributing hitch this week, and in leveling out my trailer I adjusted the hitch ball to a height at which it WILL make contact with the gate (yikes!). I'm curious if there's any 'safety-net' setting that could temporarily disable the auto gate release on the fob(??). If I were to inadvertently drop the gate with the hitch (or the camper, for that matter) on, I'd surely be left with a nice dent... and a lot of self-loathing!

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
Funny, I recall my previous (2018) XLT had a covered keyhole down by the tag that I never used (or really understood its purpose)... truth be told, I can't say if the '21 has anything similar - now I'll have to look lol.
That protects your spare tire. Nothing more than a locking cover for the crank to get the tire up and down.

Sponsored

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
I have seen enough talk on here about it. I just ordered the McGard. Their website says the F-150 version fits through 2021.

Although, Amazon says it doesn't. I'll see tomorrow. If not, I'll gift it to my neighbor for his 2018.
So, I ordered the same McGard off of Amazon and installed it tonight. The install was pretty easy and I think it'll probably slow down the "smash and grab" type folks, but someone determined will still probably be able to defeat it. That goes with pretty any type of security measures though, so to be expected. Overall, worth it in my mind.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer programmer
Agree. Mine is now installed too.
Sponsored