Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm having similar issues... iOS is fully updated. I have a 22 PowerBoost and it seems to cut out more when the truck switches to full electric mode. Maybe a coincidence, not sure.
Hey there! I can look into your F150's CarPlay concern on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Just picked up my truck on Wednesday and am finding I have this issue as well.

BrainLinq

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
IT MSP
Unfortunately this is still happening for me. I took it back to the local dealership and they say they have no idea what is causing this and have to wait to hear back from the factory... I took the truck in on 02 June 2022 and still have not had a response. On top of that, the first time I drove the truck in the rain it started giving me a trailer break error. The local dealer said not to worry about it and that they would figure out that issue when they fixed the connectivity issue.

OP
OP
RyanStroeder

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
Here is an update on what I have discovered:

Ford has basically no idea and they are not attempting in any way to find a solution. If the dealer can't replicate, they won't deal with it. If you show them, then they're waiting on "engineering" - which you never hear back from.

As far as I can tell (for me at least), the issue occurs at specific locations on the road, so I believe it is related to interference of some kind. The next thing I plan to do is to remove my phone from the vehicle, remove my vehicle for the phone and then drive that same section of road using CarPlay over a USB lightning cable - if it doesnt do it, then we know it's specifically related to wireless CarPlay.

p.s. Ford this is a troubleshooting method you should have already done by now.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm also wondering if it's a phone issue, not a truck issue. My phone seems slow and does seem to 'drop' apps as I'm using them recently. So wondering if it's the phone 'dropping' carplay?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RyanStroeder

RyanStroeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost - Leadfoot
I'm also wondering if it's a phone issue, not a truck issue. My phone seems slow and does seem to 'drop' apps as I'm using them recently. So wondering if it's the phone 'dropping' carplay?
Yes, I also wonder - the strangest thing is that the truck appears to disconnect but the audio/podcast/music continues to "play" inside the phone, so when it reconnects the time has moved forward as if it was connected all along. Regardless, tons of people have this issue and it shouldn't be happening with an iPhone 11,12,13 etc...

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I also wonder - the strangest thing is that the truck appears to disconnect but the audio/podcast/music continues to "play" inside the phone, so when it reconnects the time has moved forward as if it was connected all along. Regardless, tons of people have this issue and it shouldn't be happening with an iPhone 11,12,13 etc...
Yeahhhh.... my iphone is much older then that.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think it's time for an upgrade in Dec when there's deals out the for Christmas / boxing day etc....

bratliff3

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 2.7L 302A
Occupation
Engineer
Anybody find an update on this one? I get the issue on most drives over 15 minutes or so, the screen will pop up with "Carplay not connected" and then just a few seconds later it'll reconnect back to my phone. Extremely annoying and on longer trips can happen 3-5 times. It's only started happening in the last couple of months. I've gotten a couple of Power Ups here recently, the latest one being Priority Update 22-PU0706-SCH-POPA.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Anybody find an update on this one? I get the issue on most drives over 15 minutes or so, the screen will pop up with "Carplay not connected" and then just a few seconds later it'll reconnect back to my phone. Extremely annoying and on longer trips can happen 3-5 times. It's only started happening in the last couple of months. I've gotten a couple of Power Ups here recently, the latest one being Priority Update 22-PU0706-SCH-POPA.
Hi there. This sync concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
As far as I can tell (for me at least), the issue occurs at specific locations on the road, so I believe it is related to interference of some kind.
I have an Android phone, so not apples to apples, but I have the same issue and after lots of troubleshooting and frustration myself have determined the disconnects are LOCATION based. My truck and/or phone lose connection every single time at certain intersections or locations (sometimes in the middle-of-nowhere Idaho... so weird). My work has two driveways and if I enter/exit the parking lot from one of the two driveways the Android Auto connection drops every single time. Very repeatable. As soon as I leave the area the phone/truck reestablish connection. Very odd.

Sponsored

bratliff3

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 2.7L 302A
Occupation
Engineer
I have an Android phone, so not apples to apples, but I have the same issue and after lots of troubleshooting and frustration myself have determined the disconnects are LOCATION based. My truck and/or phone lose connection every single time at certain intersections or locations (sometimes in the middle-of-nowhere Idaho... so weird). My work has two driveways and if I enter/exit the parking lot from one of the two driveways the Android Auto connection drops every single time. Very repeatable. As soon as I leave the area the phone/truck reestablish connection. Very odd.
That's interesting, I haven't noticed that kind of consistency as it seems to be random during my commute. I've tried forgetting and readding my phone to the truck though too with no luck.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Switch to wired Carplay. That's what I did, resolved all the issues.

Frankly I don't think the wireless Careplay solution is well thought out for the following reasons:

1. Have you felt how hot your phone gets? Wireless Carplay relies on the phone's wifi chip running concurrently with the phone's modem chip. The back and forth between them makes the phone get super hot. Hot chips are going to mean problems. Not to mention accelerated battery drain.

2. Ford's wireless modem has been known to have issues in the two years. From what I've been able to gather, they are super limited in what they can do from a standpoint of bandwidth.

3. Wifi signals are very suspect to outside interference.

You could also try forcing a GSM update if you follow the ECU update guide. Not sure if that will help, but it's a pretty important update that can only happen with Forscan if it's not auto-updating.

bratliff3

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 2.7L 302A
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah wireless Carplay is one of the primary reasons I pulled the trigger on this truck. Phone stays in my pocket throughout the drive, never have to fool with a cable. Generally my phone doesnt get too hot, and the battery drain is minimal. Wired isn't a resolution at all, it's just a work around.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Wireless is more convenient, but a wired connection is always more robust and superior.
Sponsored