Sponsored

Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
How many bolts and retainer nuts are needed? 4 of each?
Sponsored

dbagdbag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Supra, 2021 F-150
Has anyone been able to order (or find) the tremor bumper covers?

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper f150 bumper covers

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Well, I finally got it done last week and wanted to post my findings to make it easier for anyone else who may be thinking of doing this. Here are the pics, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE how the truck came out. It a damn shame I had to spend all this time and money getting this done to my truck. This is how it should come from factory, IMO. Anyway, you will need the two bumper end caps (P/N ML3Z-17906-LAPTM) and two supplemental brackets (P/N ML3Z-17788-A and ML3Z-17787-B). The end caps will come unpainted, so keep in mind that you'll have to get them painted to match your truck. Swapping out the end caps is relatively easy to do and anyone that can turn basic hand tools should be able to do it. Notice in the pics that two of the back-up sensors get relocated further out towards the end of the bumper. This presented a challenge when it came to putting it back together because the wiring was barely long enough for the sensor to be put in the new location, but after playing with the wiring down there, I was able to get it to reach without having to splice into the factory wiring harness to make it longer. Like superfordman said, you will need to cut off and smooth down a tab on the sensors to fit in the sensor housing, but it is very easy to do. The Tremor has a different P/N for the trailer hitch, but you do not need to change the hitch; everything will line up and bolt up with the non-Tremor hitch.

When we were done, I took the truck to a muffler shop to get the exhaust tips raised and properly aligned to the exhaust cut-outs on the bumper. My exhaust is made by MBRP, but I am guessing any exhaust out there is going to run into the same problem mine did when it came to this part of the process. The exhaust could not simply be raised in place because it would have resting against the suspension. The muffler shop had to cut off the last few feet of both of the dual exhaust exits and make custom ones they bended into shape to allow the exhaust to clear the suspension and fit the tips nice and flush to the new bumper. This was the only modification required to do this, and the modification was done to the aftermarket exhaust itself and not to the truck.

Edit: The part numbers for the correct sensor retainers at the end of the bumper end caps are:

ML3Z 15K861 ABPTM
ML3Z 15K861 AAPTM

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 20220414_143348

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 20220414_143354

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 20220414_143401

Ford F-150 Swapping the Lariat rear bumper for the Tremor rear bumper 20220419_100918

Last edited:

Sponsored

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Anyway, you will need the two bumper end caps (P/N ML3Z-17906-LAPTM) and two supplemental brackets (P/N ML3Z-17788-A and ML3Z-17787-B).

Question (to Javier): Could you please verify the P/N for the bumper end caps?
My local dealer comes up with something different. (Reverse/360 camera sensors?)
Thank you

Sponsored

bossboy302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Wow-that looks great. I think that looks best with a light color. Balanced. Did that involve just the end pieces, or more? How many rear sensors?

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
That involved the top plastic from last gen, all the sensor retainers from last gen, the end pieces, paint, and two retainer nuts. You can reuse all the factory sensors.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Well, I finally got it done last week and wanted to post my findings to make it easier for anyone else who may be thinking of doing this. Here are the pics, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE how the truck came out. It a damn shame I had to spend all this time and money getting this done to my truck. This is how it should come from factory, IMO. Anyway, you will need the two bumper end caps (P/N ML3Z-17906-LAPTM) and two supplemental brackets (P/N ML3Z-17788-A and ML3Z-17787-B). The end caps will come unpainted, so keep in mind that you'll have to get them painted to match your truck. Swapping out the end caps is relatively easy to do and anyone that can turn basic hand tools should be able to do it. Notice in the pics that two of the back-up sensors get relocated further out towards the end of the bumper. This presented a challenge when it came to putting it back together because the wiring was barely long enough for the sensor to be put in the new location, but after playing with the wiring down there, I was able to get it to reach without having to splice into the factory wiring harness to make it longer. Like superfordman said, you will need to cut off and smooth down a tab on the sensors to fit in the sensor housing, but it is very easy to do. The Tremor has a different P/N for the trailer hitch, but you do not need to change the hitch; everything will line up and bolt up with the non-Tremor hitch.

When we were done, I took the truck to a muffler shop to get the exhaust tips raised and properly aligned to the exhaust cut-outs on the bumper. My exhaust is made by MBRP, but I am guessing any exhaust out there is going to run into the same problem mine did when it came to this part of the process. The exhaust could not simply be raised in place because it would have resting against the suspension. The muffler shop had to cut off the last few feet of both of the dual exhaust exits and make custom ones they bended into shape to allow the exhaust to clear the suspension and fit the tips nice and flush to the new bumper. This was the only modification required to do this, and the modification was done to the aftermarket exhaust itself and not to the truck.

20220414_143401.jpg
This looks very nice. I'm worried about trying to do all this on hybrid. I'd love to do it with the black raptor exhaust tips with a BAP.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Anyway, you will need the two bumper end caps (P/N ML3Z-17906-LAPTM) and two supplemental brackets (P/N ML3Z-17788-A and ML3Z-17787-B).

Question (to Javier): Could you please verify the P/N for the bumper end caps?
My local dealer comes up with something different. (Reverse/360 camera sensors?)
Thank you
I have the box they came in inside my garage at home, but good luck with me actually remembering to look at it when I get home from work 9 hours from now. lol To get the parts, I just looked for a VIN for a F150 Tremor online and had the dealer order the end caps for that VIN.

This looks very nice. I'm worried about trying to do all this on hybrid. I'd love to do it with the black raptor exhaust tips with a BAP.
I would go to your local muffler shop first and have them stick their head under your truck to see if it's possible to route some exhaust pipes down there to where they need to go before you invest in buying any parts. I am not familiar with the hybrid version and not sure what limitations in space they have under there.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
I have the box they came in inside my garage at home, but good luck with me actually remembering to look at it when I get home from work 9 hours from now. lol To get the parts, I just looked for a VIN for a F150 Tremor online and had the dealer order the end caps for that VIN.

I would go to your local muffler shop first and have them stick their head under your truck to see if it's possible to route some exhaust pipes down there to where they need to go before you invest in buying any parts. I am not familiar with the hybrid version and not sure what limitations in space they have under there.
That'd be great if this damn thing would ever get here on the train.
Sponsored