Sponsored

Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights?

LaPapa86

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0
Hey everyone, I purchased a 21 Lariat which came with the 501a package which included the reflector LED headlights. I was wondering if there was anyone to interchange the projector LED headlights?
Thanks
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I have the Halogen lights and was hoping someone would figure out the swap to the projector LED’s myself. I am pretty dissatisfied that I couldn’t order the lights I wanted with the regular cab.

I looked on eBay and there were some OEM LED projector take-offs already for sale. They all had broken tabs, so who knows where they came from, possibly rejected or damaged during install at the factory.

I have also bee checking parts.ford and it looks like they are available new now.

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I have the Halogen lights and was hoping someone would figure out the swap to the projector LED’s myself. I am pretty dissatisfied that I couldn’t order the lights I wanted with the regular cab.

I looked on eBay and there were some OEM LED projector take-offs already for sale. They all had broken tabs, so who knows where they came from, possibly rejected or damaged during install at the factory.

I have also bee checking parts.ford and it looks like they are available new now.
Does it show how much they are?

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Does it show how much they are?
I found them. Holy cow they are expensive. Screenshot below. What’s also interesting. The projector LEDs are only $70-$80 more than the reflector LEDs. I wish I could pay $160 more for these headlamps at order!
Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? 6A9D3965-0E53-4B47-B25D-40FD1A61E21A

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where I live, 90% of the cars/trucks have LEDs, I feel like I’m driving around with moth bulbs.

When a car is behind me with LEDs, I can’t even tell that my headlights are on.

I drove a 2016 Acura for the past few years that had LED’s standard, had a similar MSRP as my truck and I consider it shameful that Ford is playing trim level games with such an important safety feature as headlights.

$3k isn’t that much to pay to be able to see the road when other cars are coming the other way with their own super bright headlights.

Hopefully other vendors will have them for less.

Sponsored

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
  • The Ford OEM LED Projector Headlamps include dynamic bending which would require more than simply swapping the Headlights, (needs steering and leveling inputs, additional wiring, etc.)
  • For those with the Halogen Ford does have a LED Reflector Light package that may be swappable but I would suspect that there would need to be some Software Changes otherwise due to the lower power load the management system would indicate that the lights are burned out, (not enough power required)

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
steering position should be on every trim and I know that I can access tilt/inclination on my XLTs information screen. How the headlights get the information is another matter, it for sure isn’t as simple as bolting them on. Perhaps, even an extra module will be needed to compensate for missing wiring on lower trims.

The dynamic bending and leveling features will be too much to ignore for some enthusiastic hacker to mess with on their own. Hopefully they will share their experience.

As for the halogen to reflector LED, that will likely be much more simple and accessible option, there’s already a multitude of tutorials, parts lists and other support for the previous generation.

M4X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat "Sport" FX4
steering position should be on every trim and I know that I can access tilt/inclination on my XLTs information screen. How the headlights get the information is another matter, it for sure isn’t as simple as bolting them on. Perhaps, even an extra module will be needed to compensate for missing wiring on lower trims.

The dynamic bending and leveling features will be too much to ignore for some enthusiastic hacker to mess with on their own. Hopefully they will share their experience.

As for the halogen to reflector LED, that will likely be much more simple and accessible option, there’s already a multitude of tutorials, parts lists and other support for the previous generation.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/switches/headlamp-levelling-control-act-13292675-1

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.15.34 PM

Looks like there's a number of components required to make the LED "bending" headlamps work.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I found them. Holy cow they are expensive. Screenshot below. What’s also interesting. The projector LEDs are only $70-$80 more than the reflector LEDs. I wish I could pay $160 more for these headlamps at order!
6A9D3965-0E53-4B47-B25D-40FD1A61E21A.png
Makes sense how much these units cost. I have disassembled one of the 2021 F-150 ADB lamps for benchmarking purposes where I work. They are very complex on the inside with lots of moving parts and active cooling.

NutNugget

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I tried this swap yesterday. I have LED reflectors want the projectors would even be fine without the bending feature just love the look better. Few things to note. Standard LED REFLECTORS have 3 plugs from the harness. As the LED projectors have one central plug on the back of the headlight. The pins are also different between that main plug. I can plug them up, headlights work and daytime running lights turn on. Side markers, turn signals and high beams don’t work. The photo of the connector with less wires coming out are the reflectors and one with more are the projectors. If anyone makes/can make a harness to make these work would be wonderful lol. I assume the turn signals and side markers don’t work because there’s no where to plug them in from the reflectors harness and pins are different/ missing on the harness for the reflectors to produce that ability in the headlight. Also there’s TONS of wires inside the actual headlight itself on the Projectors. (See photos). Didn’t want to short anything out so no way for me to text each wire to know what wire/pin location to add to my existing harness to give them power.

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? 66775534-017B-40B5-A091-690679F3C6BF

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? 6DE78DC4-A15E-4D56-B328-642F3CAB9DF7

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? CD98C7EA-2244-4268-82BC-CDF82DDF5FAE

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? 4CD345CC-BFA0-4F23-B687-8035BBFAB54C

Ford F-150 Swapping headlights from reflector to projector LED headlights? F9653C3A-5224-4DBD-9AB6-AB1250DD1B32

Sponsored

BigDezil

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Thanks for taking a crack at this, I was almost ready to try it myself. Keep us posted on your progress, and now that I have this info I’ll try and hunt down a possible adapter harness, but I think there’s some issues across the board with the modules, bypass, or relays… and because the 2021 has all OTA updates this might be harder to crack.

Here’s a harness for a halogen to LED conversion (not our reflector to projector conversion as we hoped it would have worked with some solid home brew effort) but they still run into the same issue not having the high teams working. However, they get the turn/blinkers on... (the adaptive lighting may never work, but that’s just not realistic for our needs).

https://precisionretrofits.com/products/2021-f-150-halogen-to-led-headlight-conversion-harness

I tried this swap yesterday. I have LED reflectors want the projectors would even be fine without the bending feature just love the look better. Few things to note. Standard LED REFLECTORS have 3 plugs from the harness. As the LED projectors have one central plug on the back of the headlight. The pins are also different between that main plug. I can plug them up, headlights work and daytime running lights turn on. Side markers, turn signals and high beams don’t work. The photo of the connector with less wires coming out are the reflectors and one with more are the projectors. If anyone makes/can make a harness to make these work would be wonderful lol. I assume the turn signals and side markers don’t work because there’s no where to plug them in from the reflectors harness and pins are different/ missing on the harness for the reflectors to produce that ability in the headlight. Also there’s TONS of wires inside the actual headlight itself on the Projectors. (See photos). Didn’t want to short anything out so no way for me to text each wire to know what wire/pin location to add to my existing harness to give them power.

66775534-017B-40B5-A091-690679F3C6BF.jpeg

6DE78DC4-A15E-4D56-B328-642F3CAB9DF7.jpeg

CD98C7EA-2244-4268-82BC-CDF82DDF5FAE.png

4CD345CC-BFA0-4F23-B687-8035BBFAB54C.jpeg

F9653C3A-5224-4DBD-9AB6-AB1250DD1B32.jpeg

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
Didn’t see your post a wise I would probably just add it onto this. Here’s the one that I started. Here So I’m gonna go with the other unit unless by some crazy chance somebody comes out with a harness that I can just put the OEM stuff in and be done with it

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I accomplished the upgrade from a XL halogen to fixed DSS led and to be frank it’s insane. It’s not easy in the least. The upgrade to go from the Led (Fixed Dss) to the DSS would be less involved but still complex. The variable DSS has a separate control module that controls the functions. You would need to add that module inside the truck along with the ride height sensor in the front and rear. The front one wouldn’t be so crazy the rear though is because it’s built into the rear shock. The amount of work I put into finally doing the upgrade was months. I have to say ford really made it difficult for a true OEM upgrade. Now the after market world may come with a controller of some kind. To go full OEM though I would say is difficult even to go to the DSS in the 502a and above. There is programming in multiple modules.

neldiaz

First Name
nel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 2021
Occupation
army
has anyone accomplished this already? can someone help? I have the xlt quad lights, and want to convert to the full led from lariat, any help would be appreciated!

Stefanolimotta

First Name
stefano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
Occupation
Construction
I know this is about reflector head lights but would one know if you need one or two headlight control module (hmc)
Sponsored