Supercab door noise

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'66 F100, '11 Mustang GT, '21 F150 Lariat
Driver's side door on 2021 Lariat supercab makes a noise on rough roads that's somewhere between a squeak and a rattle. I can't tell if the noise is from the front door, rear door, or where the two doors meet. Had it back to the dealer (who kept it for a day in their body shop). When I picked it up, the service advisor said they fixed it...but didn't know what was done to it. It was better -- for about 2 weeks -- but the noise is back (maybe they just sprayed silicone on it?).
I realize that unlike the crewcabs, the supercabs have a large unsupported opening (no B-pillar) and so may be more prone to some body flex. But it seems the noise is only on the driver's side, so I'm assuming there's a hinge adjustment or latch adjustment that can fix it.
Has anyone with supercab experienced similar issue -- and if you succeeded in fixing it, what worked?
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Driver's side door on 2021 Lariat supercab makes a noise on rough roads that's somewhere between a squeak and a rattle. I can't tell if the noise is from the front door, rear door, or where the two doors meet. Had it back to the dealer (who kept it for a day in their body shop). When I picked it up, the service advisor said they fixed it...but didn't know what was done to it. It was better -- for about 2 weeks -- but the noise is back (maybe they just sprayed silicone on it?).
I realize that unlike the crewcabs, the supercabs have a large unsupported opening (no B-pillar) and so may be more prone to some body flex. But it seems the noise is only on the driver's side, so I'm assuming there's a hinge adjustment or latch adjustment that can fix it.
Has anyone with supercab experienced similar issue -- and if you succeeded in fixing it, what worked?
I have a SC with the same issues. Have been to the dealer a couple of times now. Once for the passenger side and once for the drivers side. Has to go back for the drivers side again. Has rattles inside the door, but different than the first time in to be fixed. I noticed when it gets down to around minus 25 to 30 C the plastic is not happy...LOL

ttoptom1

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 2001 F 150 XLT
Occupation
retired
I have a SC with the same issues. Have been to the dealer a couple of times now. Once for the passenger side and once for the drivers side. Has to go back for the drivers side again. Has rattles inside the door, but different than the first time in to be fixed. I noticed when it gets down to around minus 25 to 30 C the plastic is not happy...LOL
I had basically the same thing with mine. I found the plastic that covers the mirror attachment was rubbing against door frame. Popped off plastic and tightened some mounting bolts. When putting plastic back on ran some lithium grease along edge of plastic and that stopped noise. Good Luck. Tom

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
No issues with mine at all.
Im actually a bit impressed with the quiet and solid feel of the double doors.

I have seen posted that rattles and squeaks can originate from the door mirrors. might want to look into that.
They might need to be snugged up just a bit before it warms up outside.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello, Bill!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your F-150 driver's side door. Thanks!

Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
Also have a Lariat SC. I had a slight drivers side rattle that turned out to be the interior trim by the mirror. I haven’t taken it apart yet because it seemed to settle down. Another I have is the center console sometimes rubs a bit on the dash passenger side. I will be putting a bit of felt tape there once it bugs me sufficiently. I haven’t noticed anything from the where the doors meet.

side note: I am really impressed with the space the SC has. I remember when a SC was nothing more than a little extra space for gear or one really tiny person, this thing while I wouldn’t want to go on a long trip back there is very comfortable around town. Also my wife was worried about being able to put luggage back there but there’s more than enough room for all of our bags.

OP
OP
66F100Again

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hello, Bill!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your F-150 driver's side door. Thanks!
Thank you. I have sent you a PM. The truck is otherwise perfect, and is so quiet that this one noise really stands out.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
I don't know if this helps but I have a Super Crew and the drivers side window will rattle until I tap the down switch just a little. I think the window is in the 'too far up' position. This only happens during cold temps.

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
My 2021 XLT driver side door rattles too. I have an appointment (Feb. 15th) with the dealer to look into it along with a few other things. I hope they can fix it because it drives me nuts.

nighthawk283

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
94 F150, 12 Mustang, 21 F150 Super Cab
My truck does the exact same thing on both sides. After weeks of trying to figure it out, it is the striker and plastic lock rubbing at the top and making a rattle noise. I ended getting felt tape and putting a small strip on the striker so the plastic and metal don't rub anymore now since there is a felt in between. So the door has to be align to prevent the rattle but haven't had time to leave my truck.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My 2021 XLT driver side door rattles too. I have an appointment (Feb. 15th) with the dealer to look into it along with a few other things. I hope they can fix it because it drives me nuts.
Good morning, Todd! Could you please send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information? I would like to look into this doo rattle concern for you on my end. Thanks!

OP
OP
66F100Again

66F100Again

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I brought my truck to a different dealer. Service guy said that rattles aren't covered under warranty ... but next time I had it in for service or an oil change, they'd take a look at the noise as a goodwill gesture. He said it's tricky to adjust door alignments and could wind up creating a different noise (like windnoise). But he mentioned something useful! He said to try using some friction tape around the latch. When I got home, I added the friction tape and NOW THE NOISE IS GONE. Check out the photo.
-Nighthawk -- sounds similar to what you did?
Anyway, if any of you with supercabs are having noise issues, give this a shot.
Ford F-150 Supercab door noise IMG_1953

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Noises are covered under warranty. I have had my 2021 XLT into the dealer, at different times, twice for door rattles and twice for door adjustments for wind noise and all covered under warranty.

So don't let him tell you different.

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Taking mine in Monday for the same issue, plus a lot of wind noise from the drivers door. Looking at the gaps and the fact that it does close quite flush at the top, I don’t think the door was aligned very well at the factory.

mistermoon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Supercrew 4x4 PB
Update: I popped the cover off at the mirror to see if I had the same loose bolts and wiring issue that caused so many other folks rattles. Everything looked fine, so I just put the cover back one. And now the rattle is gone. Go figure. Thanks for the info, it’s made me finally to start to love my new truck.
Sponsored