First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Accountant
I am having a tough time deciding on whether to order a sunroof or not. I would like one but there are a lot of negative reviews and posts on the internet about squeaking, coming off tracks, expensive to repair....just curious what you guys think are they worth the risk and maintenance? Also it rains alot here in Vancouver, is it louder in the truck with a panoramic sunroof (and therefore harder to talk on the phone?)
Thanks in advance

Tom
Sponsored

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I took it off my order. Just too much bad history and too much of a risk.
I tried to convince myself that even if it did break and I couldn’t open it anymore(like a lady at my work) I would still have a cool glass roof.
But I’m just not wealthy enough to spend an extra $2000 on something that has a history of breaking down in several ways.

And considering how wet your area is, I would definitely not get it.

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
I also opted not to put it in my build for the reasons above. In fact, I also opted out of the sliding rear window. I never use the one I have in my current 2013, and it has given me nothing but problems with the rear defroster.

H-Town

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
I've had them in my last 2 Explorers (2016, 2018)....never an issue with them at all. I included the option on my order.

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
I’ve never had an issue with any Ford sun roofs. I’ve had 2 of them, and my ordered truck will bring that number to 3.

For what it’s worth, I am in the sunshine state. Don’t need to be too worried about the elements here.

Sponsored

Jaym69

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Occupation
Investigator
I have had a sunroof in my cars and trucks for the last 20+ years and never had any issues with them malfunctioning, leaking or anything. Not everyone desires a sunroof, but I believe a factory installed sunroof will work well with a small percentage of issues for only some people. I have heard people say for 20+ years that a sunroof is nothing but a problem, while I have had no issues proving them wrong.

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I have the sunroof in my 2014 explorer, never had a leaking issue living in the rainy pacific northwest. I put the sunroof option on my 21 F-150 build as well.

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Owned a number of Fords with the sunroof and never had a problem with any of them. This build I chose not to order one. Primary reason, it never gets used! My wife hates them, I use mine rarely so why expend $1,500!

In my opinion a sun roof creates no additional noise in the cabin.

Pipe

First Name
Jj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Explorer
Had some issues with opening/closing the huge sunroof on my 07 Edge (had to "help" it sometimes) , and bit of leaking when in auto carwash. But that was a different type of sunroof, was pretty much the entire roof not just a cutout. Ford likely learned some lessons from those.

My 17 explorer no issues at all.

Ordered my f150 with sunroof, not even something to consider for me. Costly and I accept there is some risk of issues, but overall I love the light and open feel, and now don't want to drive a vehicle without.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I have never purchased a vehicle that did not have a sunroof or was not a convertible. My father had a sunroof in every single car he owned starting in 1984. Neither one of us have ever had a single issue. I realize the panoramic roof is a different beast, but the percentage of issues has to pale in comparison to the amount of vehicles Ford has installed them in.

Sponsored

H-Town

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2015 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special
Now if you talking about an aftermarket sun roof....I recall people adding these to cars and had lots of problems leaking (haven't heard of anyone adding an aftermarket sunroof in 20+ years though).

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL STX
I also opted not to put it in my build for the reasons above. In fact, I also opted out of the sliding rear window. I never use the one I have in my current 2013, and it has given me nothing but problems with the rear defroster.
I hope thats something I can also opt out of. I didn’t know we could do that. I hate the way that thing looks. I wish it was like the one on the tundra where the whole thing goes down

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
It was one of the must have options for me. I’ve had standard sized sunroofs in my cars before, but never a full panel and I’m really looking forward to it. No issues with my previous sunroofs either.

Research online is a double-edged sword. Great, quick resources, but you can find almost anything to support or go against your cause. It’s also important to keep in mind the vast majority of satisfied users likely aren’t going to post online, whereas dissatisfied users are more likely to.

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
It was one of the must have options for me. I’ve had standard sized sunroofs in my cars before, but never a full panel and I’m really looking to it. No issues with my previous sunroofs either.

Research online is a double-edged sword. Great, quick resources, but you can find almost anything to support or go against your cause. It’s also important to keep in mind the vast majority of satisfied users likely aren’t going to post online, whereas dissatisfied users are more likely to.
^^ this

I wish people didn't extrapolate single or a few instances of anecdotal evidence to the entire population.

Here are the facts:
* There is RISK of any seal leaking. Without the moonroof, no seal, no leak, no risk. You can mitigate the risk by caring for the seals and drains regularly. And even with zero maintenance some may never leak
* There is RISK the motor may malfunction. No moonroof, no risk. Not all will malfunction, even without dry lubing the slides.
* There is a 64# payload hit for moonroof
* The MSRP adder is $1495 for moonroof

Now, everyone go make their decisions that best suit their own needs, or just listen to 1 anecdote that gives you the info you want to support your stance.

J509

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Limited
^^ this

I wish people didn't extrapolate single or a few instances of anecdotal evidence to the entire population.

Here are the facts:
* There is RISK of any seal leaking. Without the moonroof, no seal, no leak, no risk. You can mitigate the risk by caring for the seals and drains regularly. And even with zero maintenance some may never leak
* There is RISK the motor may malfunction. No moonroof, no risk. Not all will malfunction, even without dry lubing the slides.

Now, everyone go make their decisions that best suit their own needs, or just listen to 1 anecdote that gives you the info you want to support your stance.
^^ this

Here are the facts:

Extrapolate, dang Terry I had to wake Siri up to figure out what that was?I say if you want it and you feel it will make you happy and it’s legal then go for it, life is too short to stress over what if’s
Sponsored