First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had a short trip the other day to a location about 35 miles away from my house. I have traveled to this location many times but I thought I would set the navigation just for "fun." It was not at all needed but I was curious to see what it would come up with. Well, it ended up with total stupidity. I do not have avoid highways or freeways set. I sure wish avoid gravel roads was an option. But, unfortunately, not yet. The GPS took me on roads I would have traveled. Then after turning on to a 55 MPH highway the navigation had me turn off on to a gravel road. The road was dry and not a bad road. In a mile another turn put me on a gravel road that if it had been wet out, not many would want to drive on that road. It stated 8.6 miles to the next turn. The stupid navigation took me off a paved highway and put me on a crappy gravel road that ran parallel with the highway. 55 MPH on the highway and only 30 on this bad road. It then had more turns on bad roads until I got to where I was going. This route was not shorter and sure took twice, if not more, longer time.
They can make intelligent adaptive cruise that reads speed limit signs and stops your truck if you don't. Lane keeping that does a great job of being in the center of your lane and drives you on curves. Also "Blue Cruise" that you don't have to hold on to the wheel. So why can't they make navigation that has at least an ounce of sense? At one time it even wanted me to turn on to a "no outlet" road.
Navigation in our trucks must be the most stupid creation ever when it comes to it deciding on what roads to take.
Have you ever had all this "fun" with yours?
Sponsored

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
I had a short trip the other day to a location about 35 miles away from my house. I have traveled to this location many times but I thought I would set the navigation just for "fun." It was not at all needed but I was curious to see what it would come up with. Well, it ended up with total stupidity. I do not have avoid highways or freeways set. I sure wish avoid gravel roads was an option. But, unfortunately, not yet. The GPS took me on roads I would have traveled. Then after turning on to a 55 MPH highway the navigation had me turn off on to a gravel road. The road was dry and not a bad road. In a mile another turn put me on a gravel road that if it had been wet out, not many would want to drive on that road. It stated 8.6 miles to the next turn. The stupid navigation took me off a paved highway and put me on a crappy gravel road that ran parallel with the highway. 55 MPH on the highway and only 30 on this bad road. It then had more turns on bad roads until I got to where I was going. This route was not shorter and sure took twice, if not more, longer time.
They can make intelligent adaptive cruise that reads speed limit signs and stops your truck if you don't. Lane keeping that does a great job of being in the center of your lane and drives you on curves. Also "Blue Cruise" that you don't have to hold on to the wheel. So why can't they make navigation that has at least an ounce of sense? At one time it even wanted me to turn on to a "no outlet" road.
Navigation in our trucks must be the most stupid creation ever when it comes to it deciding on what roads to take.
Have you ever had all this "fun" with yours?
I have. Was towing a boat. Wife in the truck. I knew the way but had Ford Nav on just so I could see distance to next turn. About 5 miles from my destination I was instructed to turn. Hmm. Never been down this road. I was surprised at the suggestion as I was on a Texas State highway and the turn was onto a gravel road. Nope. After I ignored the turn Ford Nav recalculated and had my on the normal/correct route.

A few months later I was taking the same trip without the trailer. Buddy with no wife. Ford Nav still wanted me to take the turn. OK. Lets see. Turned onto a gravel road for a couple of miles. Then Ford Nav had me turn onto a gravel road that turned into a driveway to ranch house. The property was fenced with the gate closed. Nope. Looking at Google Earth the ranch driveway is a dead end... 2 miles down a dead end twisting gravel road with the boat on... Wife would NOT have been happy. REALLY glad I ignored the turn suggestion earlier.

How Ford Nav thought this was a public road .. I have no idea.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
You have the ability to look at the entire trip, see optional routes and make changes. I don't blindly just set a destination and go.

OP
OP
Doggy-Dog

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
You have the ability to look at the entire trip, see optional routes and make changes. I don't blindly just set a destination and go.
Yes, you have to check since the system has a low I.Q. on picking roads. Something one would think with todays electronics it should do better.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Yes, you have to check since the system has a low I.Q. on picking roads. Something one would think with todays electronics it should do better.
Check your settings? I can't remember if there's shortest, economical, fastest.

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I found this is the same as my Garmin GPS that I have. Was in the city and told it to take me home. It was doing fine till it wanted me to turn into a small town and take the back roads. Went by the turn and it then corrected itself and was ok. I have come to the conclusion that it will get me where I want to go but may not be the best route, especially if I don't know the area. I haven't used Google maps yet, but will try on day and see how it does. When in doubt, ask someone, if you can...LOL

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It happens with Google Maps too. Had a recent gravel road experience due to following GPS. Sometimes I think it is due to inaccurate GPS location; it thinks I'm already on an adjacent road when I'm actually still on the highway. Other times it sees a 50mph road but doesn't seem to know there's a stoplight every 1/4 mile, or that the road is unpaved.
Checking the route first on a paper map is always best but isn't always possible.
Still, I would not go back to pre-GPS days. I have little to no sense of direction and used to have to memorize maps and routes turn by turn and still got lost. At least now I will eventually get there even if it's not the "best" route.

OP
OP
Doggy-Dog

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
.....Still, I would not go back to pre-GPS days.....At least now I will eventually get there even if it's not the "best" route.
Agree 100%. It does get you there even with a dead end road now and then.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
It is a stupid navigation indeed. Was driving yesterday with "her" instructions, turned right where she told me to, and 1 second after completeing the turn she told me to make a U turn, yet continues to show the road ahead which she told me to take.

I prefer Waze, I used Waze all the time (before I got my truck). Problem with Waze now is that it is connected through Anroid Auto (another stupid system) and for some reason Waze in Android Auto won't let you add a stop, something that is a piece of cake when you use Waze on your phone.
This is my first Android Auto vehicle and I really though it's a straight forward "mirror" on your phone; well, it's not. It's stupid.

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
I don’t have my truck yet to see this but the wife’s Mazda has done the same thing when it was left in “shortest“ mode. It tried to save a half mile by adding 2 hrs to a trip as all it did was try to follow the roads closest to a straight line from start to finish
Sponsored