Sponsored

Stronger Wifi Encryption

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
For now. I hope Ford moves to a 5G network and also a non-carrier tied modem. But I suspect that won't be in the cards because the modem used for hotspot is the same one used for the live weather/navigation, OTA updates, etc. So Ford probably has a very good (for them) deal worked out with AT&T, and offering more choice would complicate things too much.
Thanks Vulnox.
Sponsored

KDexpedition

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, you're trying to use the truck's wifi Hotspot to make wifi calls, but your provider isn't allowing the connection because it's a wpa/wpa2 security protocol, right? If that's the case, you may have to switch carriers. Very interesting.
Yes, i can browse the internet on the hotspot but not wifi calls. Both verizon and att say that it is a ford problem, that any iphone running on 14 and above update must have strong security to make wifi calls. Since Ford is operating on wpa2/wpa on the router it is considered too weak tk make wifi call..

it does work in my home, office and my wife’s Honda Odyssey.

OP
OP
succeed23

succeed23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Yes, i can browse the internet on the hotspot but not wifi calls. Both verizon and att say that it is a ford problem, that any iphone running on 14 and above update must have strong security to make wifi calls. Since Ford is operating on wpa2/wpa on the router it is considered too weak tk make wifi call..

it does work in my home, office and my wife’s Honda Odyssey.
It appears that changing providers on the Hotspot is not likely to happen according to Vulnox (I think he works at Ford). I imagine the security protocol can be changed via over-the-air updates at some point if security concerns surrounding WPA impact user experience like in your case. Back on the first page, the discussion ended with WPA wouldn't be a big deal if AES or 802.1 was being used. I guess that's not the case based on what AT&T is telling you. Again, I suspect this will only change if there's an impact to overall customer experience.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
It appears that changing providers on the Hotspot is not likely to happen according to Vulnox (I think he works at Ford). I imagine the security protocol can be changed via over-the-air updates at some point if security concerns surrounding WPA impact user experience like in your case. Back on the first page, the discussion ended with WPA wouldn't be a big deal if AES or 802.1 was being used. I guess that's not the case based on what AT&T is telling you. Again, I suspect this will only change if there's an impact to overall customer experience.
I believe WPA3 is a hardware update. Not just software.

OP
OP
succeed23

succeed23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I believe WPA3 is a hardware update. Not just software.
Couldn't they update to just WPA2? If that requires a hardware update as well then I guess that means folks just can't use the wifi calling feature via the trucks Hotspot. I guess this fairly limited impact will only grow as more folks in areas with poor signal use the wifi calling feature more. I'll be interested to know if you get resolution on this issue @KDexpedition
Sponsored