Storing/Mounting a Pistol

OP
OP

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
First, get your permit, then carry on your body with the holster of your choice unless it's too uncomfortable while seated. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it's the first choice I'd recommend you consider. Driving isn't the only time you may need your weapon. What about when you need to pump fuel, run inside a convenience store, etc? Are you going to bother/remember to unlock it or remove it from whatever location and holster it every time you exit your truck?

Anywhere visible/exposed runs the risk of either theft or completely ruining your day, and the day of any inexperienced LEOs you encounter on a traffic stop.

Mine is always concealed in my holster on my body.
I never have to worry about exiting my truck in a hurry and forgetting it.
I also never have to worry about criminals or LEOs seeing it.

Once they are available for a 2021, I will have a gun-safe securely mounted in my center console for those rare occasions when I need to enter a property that prohibits concealed-carry. Until then, I will hide it, and always lock my truck upon exiting.

Again, I know my solution doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for me.
Yeah great points, that’s why I wouldn’t mount it in the door for example, so if I walk away it’s not easy to see/get to. I know if a cop sees it, it’s going to drag out a stop/freak them out. I’m a gun proponent, but not really living in fear either, I mostly would open carry it if I was at a sketchy stop, gas station, camping, etc. Or like with my road rage incident, just stepping out of my truck with it being seen (not brandished) would have ended the altercation. not really interested in carrying all the time.
Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
I like this, just need to figure out where to mount it that’s not exposed but quick to access.
You should take the gun with you if you can't firmly secure it.. So put it where ever you can grab it fast. I put mine near my right knee. This is mainly so I don't have to sit with a holster stuck in my right gut over long period. Not to mention what a biotch it is drawing your gun fast in an emergency... Too much fumbling. clothes, seatbelt, etc. Unless you are lefty of course.

BTW, I had a console vault in my '19 Ranger. Great unit. But the Tuffy gives you your free space back on top for your change tray, etc. If you don't care, get the Console Vault. You can get it straight from the original manufacturer and they are great to work with. Otherwise you are paying Ford for their emblem they stuck on it.

Anyway, I don't need it to be at a bank level vault. Just to briefly go in and out places where I cannot carry. If I have to, then it gets locked up more securely. All depends on the user. Good luck. Just be aware, a lot of online sites may say things fit the 2021. Caveat Emptor and do your homework....

One last thing. Gun robberies from vehicles have gone up big time. Double the liability. Now you have 2 things to worry about. Especially if you have a hybrid. They'll steel your truck with the gun in it if they can. ;)

Stay safe and keep your head on a swivel.

Bburgeng

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, Escape, 2021 King Ranch F150
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Center Console. Alien Gear and Crossbreed have holsters that have a sticky velcro pad and the holster mounts to it. When my pistol is not on me this is what I do.

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
First, get your permit, then carry on your body with the holster of your choice unless it's too uncomfortable while seated. I know this doesn't work for everyone, but it's the first choice I'd recommend you consider. Driving isn't the only time you may need your weapon. What about when you need to pump fuel, run inside a convenience store, etc? Are you going to bother/remember to unlock it or remove it from whatever location and holster it every time you exit your truck?

Anywhere visible/exposed runs the risk of either theft or completely ruining your day, and the day of any inexperienced LEOs you encounter on a traffic stop.

Once they are available for a 2021, I will have a gun-safe securely mounted in my center console for those rare occasions when I need to enter a property that prohibits concealed-carry. Until then, I will hide it, and always lock my truck upon exiting.

This should be a last resort for defense. I believe in carrying but will first try to deescalate, use alternate methods of resolving the issues, Tactical flashlight, Tactical pen, pepper spray gun, etc. before I would use my carry. Best to use your brain before your weapon. Common sense rules.

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I carry daily and have done so for many years, so my sidearm is always on my waist. I've gotten so used to it that the only "discomfort" I feel is when I'm NOT carrying lol. Of course, there are always occasions on which you need to leave it behind... if I'm entering a post office, for example, I will lock it in the console using the valet key. Obviously, this is a short-term solution that will only deter curious or opportunistic hands, not determined thieves, and it goes without saying that common sense applies (windows up, doors locked, truck within sight, etc.).

I love the idea of those console safes and have heard great reviews, but I just don't "store" a weapon often enough to justify the expense. I do, however, keep a small cable lock in the truck in the event that I do need to leave my pistol for any length of time - this actually came in handy last year when I unfortunately had to make an unexpected trip to the ER... even though I did end up having to leave it unattended for hours, I was at least able to unload, clear and secure it with a cable through the mag/slide. Again, not exactly high-end theft prevention, but enough to keep it from discharging if any curious knuckleheads had decided to go "shopping" in my truck.

As for simple transport, I've found that the slim storage behind the rear bench seats is great for tucking away a pistol-sized lock box. You just have to be very diligent with being up-to-date on the laws of whatever state(s) you're in; many have very specific restrictions on permit reciprocity. In Maryland, for example (which does NOT recognize my PA weapons permit), having a handgun in the cab with me (as opposed to in the bed) will not end well for me - even if secured!

EDIT: Just to throw in my $.02 - with zero judgment or criticism - it sounds as though op may be relatively new to concealed carry. @uavmx, in reference to your earlier comment, yes - your weapon should always be properly holstered, on OR off your body, unless it is in a safe or in use. Any modern, quality holster should have trigger/hammer protection by design. I also agree with @mdmeints comments 100%... if evasion/escape is still an option, your sidearm is not. I know it's very "Monday morning quarterback" of me to say, but neither of the examples you mentioned seem like situations in which I'd even be thinking of my pistol. That being said - it's comforting to know you have the option if/when needed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I carry mine a alot (Glock 27 w/HP). I prefer it in a holster. I do have a place in truck where it fits fine out of the holster.

pricetyler

First Name
Sterling
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Constrution Executive
Just loose? Mounting on/in anything? I'd like it in some sort of holster, perhaps screwing that holster in the center console could be nice....
I use a magnet that is glued to the inside of my console made specifically for this application. Go to 2AFORLIFE.com. They have a magnet system for this that works well.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
This should be a last resort for defense. I believe in carrying but will first try to deescalate, use alternate methods of resolving the issues, Tactical flashlight, Tactical pen, pepper spray gun, etc. before I would use my carry. Best to use your brain before your weapon. Common sense rules.
As long as time and circumstances permit, I totally agree.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead

Though I agree with your assessment I am not comfortable with the logistics of your solution, I'm holstered when I'm out of the truck but my .45 shield goes in the cupholder when I'm driving; I'm no longer the stupid, hothead I was when I was young because I now have too much to lose so I don't much worry about my road/parking lot, "I'm gonna show you who's right pal!" rage issues anymore but I'm not comfortable with the idea of some young turk approaching me at an intersection and I have to "acquire" my weapon here in the city of Chicago, I'm far more comfortable with the idea of him/them being surprised by not having the only drawn weapon; and as a large, fairly imposing "gentleman of color" I'm well aware of the potential consequences of encountering a young inexperienced LEO (or one of predisposed intent/judgement) and if my respectful/cooperative demeanor in those situations isn't enough then as sad as it is to say, I was likely going to become a statistic anyway

Last edited:

Sponsored

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Though I agree with your assessment I am not comfortable with the logistics of your solution, I'm holstered when I'm out of the truck but my .45 shield goes in the cupholder when I'm driving; I'm no longer the stupid, hothead I was when I was young because I now have too much to lose so I don't worry about my road/parking lot, "I'm gonna show you who's right pal!" rage issues anymore but I'm not comfortable with the idea of some young turk approaching me at an intersection and I have to "acquire" my weapon here in the city of chicago, I'm far more comfortable with the idea of him/them being surprised by not having the only drawn weapon; and as a large, fairly imposing gentleman of "color" I'm aware of the consequences of a young unexperienced LEO and if my respectful/cooperative demeanor in those situations isn't enough then as sad as it is to say, I was likely going to be a statistic anyway
Hi Greg,
I sincerely and completely respect your perspective. Even though we may slightly differ on our logistics, I also agree with the logistics you prefer/choose to employ. I'm also older and hopefully more mature, and will always try to rationally attempt to diffuse any potential road-rage issues if I'm unable to avoid them in the first place. I've trained and studied as many scenarios as possible, and have reached the conclusion that there's no 'one size fits all' plan or solution to every possible scenario. We just have to use whatever solution works best for our individual situation(s). Like you, I hope I never have to draw, or worse yet, fire my .45. But if I do, I will rely on all the training I've had, and continue to have, for the safest possible outcome.

I also sincerely hope you never have a negative outcome with a inexperienced LEO.

Hopefully, we can share a beer (or beverage of your choice) during my next visit to Chicago :cool:

As I previously stated; "I know my solution doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for me"

I would encourage anyone who's reading this thread, and interested in concealed-carry, to first get a permit, then seek out as much training (from reputable experienced resources) as possible. If you are going to be serious about concealed carry, then you seriously need to be prepared with as much training/practice as possible.

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Hi Greg,
I sincerely and completely respect your perspective. Even though we may slightly differ on our logistics, I also agree with the logistics you prefer/choose to employ. I'm also older and hopefully more mature, and will always try to rationally attempt to diffuse any potential road-rage issues if I'm unable to avoid them in the first place. I've trained and studied as many scenarios as possible, and have reached the conclusion that there's no 'one size fits all' plan or solution to every possible scenario. We just have to use whatever solution works best for our individual situation(s). Like you, I hope I never have to draw, or worse yet, fire my .45. But if I do, I will rely on all the training I've had, and continue to have, for the safest possible outcome.

I also sincerely hope you never have a negative outcome with a inexperienced LEO.

Hopefully, we can share a beer (or beverage of your choice) during my next visit to Chicago :cool:

As I previously stated; "I know my solution doesn't work for everyone, but it works great for me"

I would encourage anyone who's reading this thread, and interested in concealed-carry, to first get a permit, then seek out as much training (from reputable experienced resources) as possible. If you are going to be serious about concealed carry, then you seriously need to be prepared with as much training/practice as possible.
Agreed on all points and to be clear I wasn't discounting your position on any level; I have my (recently renewed) carry permit and I take no joy in the idea of vanquishing a human life but in the last year there is far too much "no f'ing rules of engagement" going on in this area, too much "bad or no parenting" (IMHO) and everything is everyone else's fault mentality...we've had four cops shot in the last month and the number of carjackings is at least one a day easily; seasoned veteran LEO's are getting out while the getting is good and leaving municipalities in the position where they are forced to press untrained and in my opinion often poorly screened individuals into those vacant positions, you hear about these shooting incidents where the LEO's have emptied their weapons into an "offender" and I theorize that's from the not enough training program called "accuracy by volume"

I've got many family members that are LEO's (active and retired) and they were all taught that firing your weapon should not be the first line of conflict management and that's not what it feels like is going on today; and I'm not discounting the frustration that the mindset of generations younger than me that didn't have "respect your elders/authority figures" beaten into them in catholic school, the Marine Corps and at home must bring for LEO's now a days.

I'm going to step down off of this soapbox that I'm taxing now

I'd love to share an adult beverage with you anytime

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 GT350
If you live somewhere you think you might need a gun, there's probably a 99% chance you also live somewhere where guns are commonly stolen from vehicles.

Just don't do it. What do you think stolen guns get used for? Do you want to contribute to that? I don't care that it isn't your fault if someone steals your stuff - if you know it's bound to happen and you let it happen anyway, you bear some responsibility. Morally, not legally. This kind of thing is between you and your god, not you and the law.

Get a carry permit (if your state is one of the 31 that still require them) and carry a gun on your body.

As others have said, a gun in the truck does you NFG if you're not within a few steps of it. On body carry, always.

NO LIMITS

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited
Occupation
Self Employed
I had two altercations yesterday that made me really want to start carrying my Glock 19 in my new truck. One was 3 dogs attacking an old lady and her two dogs, had to jump out of my truck in the middle of the street and chase off the dogs, they could have turned on me! Second was some guy that cut me off twice in a parking lot and I honked, he blocked my truck, jumped out and puffed up at my trying to fight. Eventually threw a water bottle at my new truck! Luckily nothing that could damage my brand new truck otherwise I would have gotten into it with him.

In my previous car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee there was such limited storage that I didn't have room to store it longer term. So looking for some solutions (products, best storage location for quick access, etc) in their trucks with a pistol. I really prefer to not take it out every night (I know this will freak people out, but it's a pain and with the security on this truck, shouldn't be anyone getting into it!!). Are there products that have some simple lock feature?
I had two altercations yesterday that made me really want to start carrying my Glock 19 in my new truck. One was 3 dogs attacking an old lady and her two dogs, had to jump out of my truck in the middle of the street and chase off the dogs, they could have turned on me! Second was some guy that cut me off twice in a parking lot and I honked, he blocked my truck, jumped out and puffed up at my trying to fight. Eventually threw a water bottle at my new truck! Luckily nothing that could damage my brand new truck otherwise I would have gotten into it with him.

In my previous car, a Jeep Grand Cherokee there was such limited storage that I didn't have room to store it longer term. So looking for some solutions (products, best storage location for quick access, etc) in their trucks with a pistol. I really prefer to not take it out every night (I know this will freak people out, but it's a pain and with the security on this truck, shouldn't be anyone getting into it!!). Are there products that have some simple lock feature?
Would advise against having a gun in your vehicle unless on a trip or going to the range. Better to carry bear pepper spray or other non-lethal; too many things can go wrong and you can get yourself into some hot water. Here in CA just thinking about a gun can cost you some hard time;-)

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Your truck is not a safe; I think over 70% of firearm theft occur from breaking into a vehicle.

I mean by all means carry a firearm, dont leave it on your vehicle.
Sponsored