Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
If it really is only 297 F150's, that's a lunch break's worth on the assembly line.
It'd be interesting to have access to the information gathered just to know the real story.
The scale that these are built on is amazing. The time it takes for a bathroom break means 20 trucks passed your station. Vacations, sick days, etc just compounds the issue. We don’t want that information. Ignorance is bliss!
Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
These transmissions are machined and assembled at Ford's Sharonville plant in Ohio. They are assembled by highly paid UAW workers.
@dolsen
Most every internal fastener is tightened with an electric driven wrench that counts total turns of the fastener being installed and final torque. Feedback from the tool is the sent back to process control and if correct allows the assembly to move to the next station. Most likely the tooling provided positive feedback yet the fastener was not completely tightened or fully meet the torque specification. Each transmission is barcode serialized they need to find the first unit of the group of bad units.

The 10R80 was first produced at the Ford Livonia Transmission Plant in Livonia, Michigan, and the Hydra-Matic 10L80 is made at the General Motors Romulus Powertrain Plant, in Romulus, Michigan.[8] GM's Silao, Mexico transmission plant started 10L80 production in 2018.[9] Ford's Sharonville Transmission plant started 10R80 production in 2018.

Last edited:

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
There are several ways to fool a DC torque tool as an assembly worker. It all boils down to someone who cares vs someone who doesn’t. In today's society, I think we all know where the majority swims.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I can assure you, at least in my experience building off-highway equipment, that there is absolutely no correlation between a given problem at some point in the assembly line to it’s expected output at days end. Where I worked, we needed 18 backhoes off the end of the line end of the shift. Made no difference to the shot callers of they were built right or not.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my last union shop detail was horrible
we were brought in because the teamsters didnt or couldnt meet simple production runs for big assss airplane for the marines... easy as falling off a log...

the snapper we had was a great supervisor but he had turds o plenty in his work group. So we came in as contractors and were his go to crew, thus we got more OT.....lots and lots
we fixed the crap the "warm bodies" flubbed up. so the dam plane could leave on time to enter the fight :cool:
only good thing is now every time i hear a BELL ring i think its break time :love: :love:
two bells and i am hungry for lunch

I am sure unions have made a positive impact.
lack of leadership and moral compass is the down fall to any organization. top to bottom and bottom to top
for me, i dont care if its one or 3000 transmissions....one with an extra bolt is to many.
price we pay...imo equal a non slip shod put together truck. simple
we have enough shiiit that breaks , lets not add a freebie in there if you know what i mean

we can never have zero defects in production...but QC should not be the ones introducing defects.

yeah i know..trucks don't fall from the sky with hundreds of bodies riding it to the ground.

Last edited:

Sponsored

doug56wshs

First Name
Doug Hartman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1987 Ford Ranger, 2023 F150
Occupation
Pastor
I saw this on a FaceBook group. My new 2023 was built 11/28/2022. Going to be a real problem if they can’t get parts to fix it until the 2nd QTR of 2023.
Yea mine was built 12/1 and literally can’t believe this….

doug56wshs

First Name
Doug Hartman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pastor

Jimi

First Name
Jimi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502a Sport appearance
Occupation
Owner/Driver
I saw this on a FaceBook group. My new 2023 was built 11/28/2022. Going to be a real problem if they can’t get parts to fix it until the 2nd QTR of 2023.
My 2023 Lariat Sport Powerboost was built 11/17/2023, so we're in the same boat. 🤔

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Interesting read.
Multiple angles and points of view.

As gloomy as the prognosis can sound, there are literally THOUSANDS upon Thousands of vehicles coming off assembly lines in this country that are mostly trouble free for many thousands of miles.

I drive "the most unreliable truck" in the United States. And I've had 2 of them for personal use and a fleet version for the business.

That's 3 different examples.
Admittedly none of them are old enough to represent high mileage or long-term ownership, but there are other members here with as many as 40-60,000 miles on theirs.

None of the 3 I have purchased have ever even visited a dealership service department. And those other members that are stacking up mileage at a fast pace were reporting their overall satisfaction with the ownership experience.

I DO believe that the current culture is one that has possibly eroded in areas mentioned in this thread. I'm not in denial. But I've gone over and under my 2022 KingRanch Powerboost in the past 10 months and 12,000 miles with a fine toothed comb and it's an amazing ensemble of complexity and array of components. The fact that it can be assembled and shipped and delivered with every single connector in place and every module functioning as designed can't be ignored.

It's an impressive feat, in my opinion.

Now the factory trained service industry that is supposed to address any problems, that statistically inevitable?
THAT'S a different conversation. 🙄🤣

Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I worked for 36 years in automotive parts, so I have seen some wild stuff and have owned some piles of poop. It amazes me that one item, be it a complete vehicle or a component , can come off an assembly line and work perfectly for its intended life, while the next one is a complete disaster. My first car that I bought with my hard earned money started tossing trim pieces in my friends driveway the first night I had it. I have owned complete electrical disasters and mechanical ones as well, both foreign and domestic. My 2021 f-150 platinum is heads above all the others in reliability.
I have also been blessed with having excellent dealers to repair my vehicles. I have never had smoke blown up my ass, never been lied to by service, never had to find another dealer because the first has been incompetent . I feel for those that have experienced dealer hell.

OP
OP
DcnPat

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
So can we assume that all of the trucks build between these dates will have to be be inspected or have some sort of work done?
No. If you read through all the available information, you will find this only affects vehicles that had transmissions pulled aside for random quality control inspection. (Ironic)

My assumption is the transmissions all have serial numbers, the serial number is recorded for the QC process, and those are matched to VIN so the recall will only be sent to those.

Apparently the QC technician did not properly reassemble the transmission, failing to account for all the bolts and somehow an extra bolt was left loose inside the transmission. I guess that is possible if you have a box of extra bolts available.

doug56wshs

First Name
Doug Hartman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pastor
No. If you read through all the available information, you will find this only affects vehicles that had transmissions pulled aside for random quality control inspection. (Ironic)

My assumption is the transmissions all have serial numbers, the serial number is recorded for the QC process, and those are matched to VIN so the recall will only be sent to those.

Apparently the QC technician did not properly reassemble the transmission, failing to account for all the bolts and somehow an extra bolt was left loose inside the transmission. I guess that is possible if you have a box of extra bolts available.
Thanks i did end up reading that! My truck is supposedly not one of the 900 but still makes you worry a little!

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
. It amazes me that one item, be it a complete vehicle or a component , can come off an assembly line and work perfectly for its intended life, while the next one is a complete disaster.
I'm the one with the disaster 2021 F150 Plat. I'm so sick of this vehicle, i ordered a F250, which will be Ford number 29. Only had a couple of good completely problem free vehicles so far, but none were any of the F150's i had.

FirstTimeFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Platinum BAP 4x4 5.3L Iconic Silver
I may have dodged a bullet here. Just checked my vin at this site: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA
Here's the issue:
During a quality assurance review at the transmission plant, certain transmissions were flagged for review, which included a re-assembly of the transmission. The transmission plant personnel performing the quality assurance review did not account for all bolts during assembly processes and inadvertently dropped or otherwise left a bolt loose inside the transmission.

My 23 Platinum was built November 11th and definitely falls under the Dearborn category. When I check recalls on my vin, it says nothing at this point. That being said, based on the language of the bulletin, it could be that they just haven't put the solution in place at this time therefore the recall does not yet exist on my VIN. Meaning, I'm wondering if I might see it in the future even though I don't see it today.
Sponsored