Sponsored

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
The dealer that has a 2022 Platinum in stock. It's the one I ordered and refused to purchase after taking so long. That truck has a wiper motor recall so they cannot deliver it. Someone can buy it at $4,000 above MSRP but it has to sit on the dealer lot until they get parts. Interesting thing is the NHSA doesn't list this recall for this truck yet the Ford website does and states do not deliver. The recall states parts are under national back-order with expected availability sometime in Q3 2023. That truck will be almost 2 years old if the 2024 start coming out in September. WTF Ford.
Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
where are the transmissions assembled? its a joint venture with gm.
good these nuts are not fixing airplanes
wages....my grandchild works at a creamery 12 hrs , shift 2 days on 2 off 3 on, 2 of 2 on 3 off
15 an hr, full medical dental and they put in 50% matching 401 funds 1st year, tiered up after a few years
they buy uniforms, wash them, plus rubber boots, coats etc. good thing she lives with me .
she works her off shifts 1.5 x hr rate.
they make butter

if QC took these transmissions apart and then had extra parts...maybe the qc people need to freaking training or not be QC

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
I may have dodged a bullet here. Just checked my vin at this site: Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment | NHTSA
Here's the issue:
During a quality assurance review at the transmission plant, certain transmissions were flagged for review, which included a re-assembly of the transmission. The transmission plant personnel performing the quality assurance review did not account for all bolts during assembly processes and inadvertently dropped or otherwise left a bolt loose inside the transmission.

No recall for my truck either- you can also check your VIN with Ford here:

https://www.ford.com/support/recalls/

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
where are the transmissions assembled? its a joint venture with gm.
wages....my grandchild works at a creamery 12 hrs , shift 2 days on 2 off 3 on, 2 of 2 on 3 off
15 an hr, full medical dental and they put in 50% matching 401 funds 1st year, tiered up after a few years
they buy uniforms, wash them, plus rubber boots, coats etc. good thing she lives with me .
she works her off shifts 1.5 x hr rate.
they make butter

if QC took these transmissions apart and then had extra parts...maybe the qc people need to freaking training or not be QC
It really is a shame more people don't stand up for themselves and demand better wages and benefits. So many problems could be solved in manufacturing by having employees that are secure enough to care about their jobs. Even during the worst years of the 1970s the purchasing power my father had from his cardboard-manufacturing job was at or above what I have today after college and nearly two decades in industry.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
2021 Model Year Master Race!!!

Sponsored

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
If these were in any way comparable to a General Aviation airplane we would still be using manuals 3 speeds and PowerGlides.

Aviation tech is DECADES behind, because of the cost.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
If these were in any way comparable to a General Aviation airplane we would still be using manuals 3 speeds and PowerGlides.

Aviation tech is DECADES behind, because of the cost.
yes it is... but QC is a whole lot better...
innovation in general aviation is mired by FAA archaic rules and policies
not by business or individuals trying to move it forward.

piston engines are a prime example no reason electronic fuel injection is not the norm.
liability costs and the ever present ambulance chasers

but people building transmissions really have no excuse. especially the QC people.
if they took a few apart...did they do a run in test to confirm it worked as specified?
when i fix aircraft there is no excuse for poor workman ship or bad QC checks. ever and we get paid less than auto techs and assembly line workers

and i expect without question the tech working on my vehicles do it right. no excuse. i look over everything i can when work is done.

my 92 f250 came from ford with a free assembly line wrench laying under the air cleaner on engine..WHY ??

my bus was delivered with lots of extra parts...cable crimp ends, nuts, bolts, hoses etc. WHY?

Last edited:

Cephas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT 302a Sport Carbonized Grey
My blend date was 11/20/2022, so I am in the affected group. Disappointing but taking it with the positive that Ford is willing to fix it. My VIN does not show in Ford lookup but it doesn't mean it won't. I have not had any issues with the transmission so far except some rough shifting when it's cold. Hope it's normal. I have about 1200 miles on it.
We have to wait and see.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Most of the quality folks at Deere, managers and inspectors and everyone in between were the laziest sacks of frozen piss in the whole building, and crayon eating, window licking morons to boot. They were like politicians, a few did it for the right reasons and cared but they were the anomalies. At least they kept mid line and end of line audits. Sounds like Ford has not. We built 18 backhoes a day when I left and every single one had to go to “repair”. When they were finally “ready” to go on their way, there was all sorts of stuff the dealers had to tweak before the customer sees it. It was nuts. My dad retired from the same factory after 44 years and still doesn’t believe some of the stories. Repair folks worked as much as possible; 12 hr days, 7 days a week if they wanted. Most everyone else putting the machines together were just bodies. Some had never seen a factory. And if the tranny guy was off that week, guess what? That’s a weeks worth of trucks with transmission assembly problems. They stuck a body in there and basically said “do your best and try to keep up.”

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
If GM and Ford share the same design, would GM have this same problem as well?
Not unless GM’s factory was also accidentally dropping an extra bolt on the QC line. The design is shared (Ford actually designed the 10R, GM designed a FWD transmission as part of the project) with some company specific changes, but the assembly isn’t shared. Ford makes them at Ford’s Livonia Transmission Plant and at Sharonville Transmission Plant, GM makes their own at General Motors’ Romulus Powertrain Plant. The issue would have to be a process issue both Ford and GM were using in their QC process to impact both. it’s far more likely a training error involving specific QC inspectors or some other highly localized issue is the cause, considering the reported number of impacted vehicles. As in, somebody was either using a bolt to hold something they weren’t supposed to use, or wasn’t trained to remove it, yada yada.

Last edited:

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
An extra bolt??!! Are you kidding me... so what was going on? A gremlin walking down the assembly line tossing out "extra bolts" for funsies?? There are alot of things, like improperly torques bolts and such, that make sense... but an extra bolt?
Actually very easy to see how it could happen. Most likely the bolt was a temporary inspection aid that held something in place for a period of time and was then supposed to be removed upon completion of the inspection. Someone didn't get properly trained and left the bolt in position instead of removing it.

Last edited:

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
As consumers we’re conditioned into thinking there is a rigid process control in place for our trucks being built, for all of the expensive products we spend hard earned money on, with plenty of checks and balances. And there is, but it’s complicated and fragile and unfortunately not always that simple. Ford is obviously winging it to some degree. At 1600 trucks a day or whatever it is, I’m amazed they don’t have more issues. But man, you get one of the good ones and they’re great. I’m a life long Toyota guy, had a paid off, tricked out 3rd Gen Tacoma that prolly would’ve lasted the next 2 decades if I wanted to keep it. But it was BO-RING! My XLT 3.5 puts a smile on my face every drive, and it’s been a great ownership experience so far! And this is a helluva lot friendlier crowd than who’s on the Taco forums!

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If it really is only 297 F150's, that's a lunch break's worth on the assembly line.
It'd be interesting to have access to the information gathered just to know the real story.
Sponsored