Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat PowerBoost + FWC Project M
So the Heavy-Duty Payload Package (HDPP) comes with the 64H wheels unique to only that package. I'm guessing the 64H wheel has a higher load rating than the others which allows for the higher GVWR that F150s with the HDPP have.

So what is that load rating? If you were to buy aftermarket wheels for an F150 with the HDPP, what would you need to get?

Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings 64H
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: J-C

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Front 2100lb, Rear 2400lb. This is per wheel, and of course 2 wheels per axle.

This compares to most of the other wheels at 2025 front and 2249 rear. Some wheels are even lower.

So the diff for front axle max load driven only by wheel rating is 150lbs more and for rear is 302lbs more for a total of 452lbs more.

BTW, for those who keep wondering difference in what HDPP brings:

1. Wheels as discussed above
2. The 3 leaf rear spring is beefier (Comb Rating of 4800 vs 4050/4150) due to higher deflection rate
3. Front Coil springs are beefier with higher deflection rate
4. Frame Side Rails are thicker
5. Rear Brake Rotor is bigger, diameter and thickness (resulting in bigger swept area)
6. Real Axle Ring Gear is 9.75HD, which holds more lube than 9.75

Last edited:
OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1. Wheels as discussed above
2. The 3 leaf rear spring is beefier (Comb Rating of 4800 vs 4050/4150) due to higher deflection rate
3. Front Coil springs are beefier with higher deflection rate
4. Frame Side Rails are thicker
5. Rear Brake Rotor is bigger, diameter and thickness (resulting in bigger swept area)
6. Real Axle Ring Gear is 9.75HD, which holds more lube than 9.75
Great info Blofliin. Thanks! I was wondering in this thread about what makes the HDPP different.

I believe some of these components you can get with other packages? I'm told that a F150 with a power boost engine will have 3 leaf springs? And tow Max Tow Package also comes with the 9.75 Real Axle Ring Gear? I haven't heard about the Front Coil Springs, Rear Brake Rotor, and Frame Side Rails.

KielerFarms

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 f-150 waiting on 2021
Occupation
Beef farmer
My xlt max tow came with those wheels

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Great info Blofliin. Thanks! I was wondering in this thread about what makes the HDPP different.

I believe some of these components you can get with other packages? I'm told that a F150 with a power boost engine will have 3 leaf springs? And tow Max Tow Package also comes with the 9.75 Real Axle Ring Gear? I haven't heard about the Front Coil Springs, Rear Brake Rotor, and Frame Side Rails.
I have no first hand knowledge (i.e. I have not crawled under and tried to find part numbers). This info is all from Ford's published specs.

Yes, the PB has 3 leaf springs, but what I was meant to show is the HPP leaf springs are different.

Same with the Rear Axle, PB has 9.75, but the HPP option has what they called 9.75HD which list a larger lube volume.

Sponsored

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
I have no first hand knowledge (i.e. I have not crawled under and tried to find part numbers). This info is all from Ford's published specs.

Yes, the PB has 3 leaf springs, but what I was meant to show is the HPP leaf springs are different.

Same with the Rear Axle, PB has 9.75, but the HPP option has what they called 9.75HD which list a larger lube volume.
Do you happen to know why HDPP is only available on trims up to XLT mid? Would have gotten it on my Lariat. Do you think they include the parts standard or is it considered more of a work package?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I ordered these wheels for my XLT
Nicer and bigger than base XLT wheels.
Relatively inexpensive
Don’t care if the neighborhood dogs pee on them

Reactions: J-C

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
I was not aware of the beefier coil springs either. May explain why I got 2 3/4" of lift when I changed my front struts. I was told I would only get 2".

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Do you happen to know why HDPP is only available on trims up to XLT mid? Would have gotten it on my Lariat. Do you think they include the parts standard or is it considered more of a work package?
Ford used to offer the HDPP in the Lariat trim but they don't want people to enjoy higher GVWRs and leather seats or self leveling LED headlights at the same time in an F-150.

Seriously though, there's really no explanation from Ford but there's speculation that it was dropped either because of very low production numbers or because of the HDPP packages impact on fuel economy and the fact that they need to be very mindful of CAFE standards when normally producing nearly a million F-150 trucks every year. If they can force buyers into F-250s, it works for the best since the Superduty trucks are exempt from both CAFE and mandatory fuel economy testing, which is why MPG data isn't on their window stickers.

I can attest to low fuel mileage, I'm getting between 12-14mpg city from my HDPP truck unloaded and not towing.

Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings 1276CE96-333D-4262-8114-6478A969A641
Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings CFB008BA-CE8F-4F68-87E6-32935339AD34
Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings 5235BFDE-3E78-43DE-8114-64FA36185D4D

The main difference HDPP gets is the higher spring rates, thicker frame and the rear axle which is shared with Maxtow package, which has larger diameter brakes, thicker axle housing tubes and 3/4 floating bearings to better handle the higher rear GAWR. All other F-150 rear axle housings are of the semi-floating variety, where the full load of the rear axle is supported by the axle shaft.

As for the OEM forged alloy wheels, they are the only wheels that come on the HDPP and are an available option on some other configurations. A matching spare is equipped because a heavier steel spare would cut into payload. The design of the wheel is optimized for strength and to be light, it borrows a lot from the design of the BBS Snowflake wheels used on sports cars that also share the same goal of strength and weight but in a different application. If you swap out your wheels, they are likely going to be heavier and possibly weaker as well.

Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings 11429B94-7B45-4DA1-93F3-D5B90F3F9F52

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
Ford used to offer the HDPP in the Lariat trim but they don't want people to enjoy higher GVWRs and leather seats or self leveling LED headlights at the same time in an F-150.

Seriously though, there's really no explanation from Ford but there's speculation that it was dropped either because of very low production numbers or because of the HDPP packages impact on fuel economy and the fact that they need to be very mindful of CAFE standards when normally producing nearly a million F-150 trucks every year. If they can force buyers into F-250s, it works for the best since the Superduty trucks are exempt from both CAFE and mandatory fuel economy testing, which is why MPG data isn't on their window stickers.

I can attest to low fuel mileage, I'm getting between 12-14mpg city from my HDPP truck unloaded and not towing.

1276CE96-333D-4262-8114-6478A969A641.jpeg
CFB008BA-CE8F-4F68-87E6-32935339AD34.png
5235BFDE-3E78-43DE-8114-64FA36185D4D.jpeg

The main difference HDPP gets is the higher spring rates, thicker frame and the rear axle which is shared with Maxtow package, which has larger diameter brakes, thicker axle housing tubes and 3/4 floating bearings to better handle the higher rear GAWR. All other F-150 rear axle housings are of the semi-floating variety, where the full load of the rear axle is supported by the axle shaft.

As for the OEM forged alloy wheels, they are the only wheels that come on the HDPP and are an available option on some other configurations. A matching spare is equipped because a heavier steel spare would cut into payload. The design of the wheel is optimized for strength and to be light, it borrows a lot from the design of the BBS Snowflake wheels used on sports cars that also share the same goal of strength and weight but in a different application. If you swap out your wheels, they are likely going to be heavier and possibly weaker as well.

11429B94-7B45-4DA1-93F3-D5B90F3F9F52.jpeg
That’s great info, thanks for that. I did go with the max tow in my lariat super cab (145” wb). It’s nice to know I’ll get the larger brakes which is something I wanted from the HDPP. I did get the 20” wheels, though. Thought it’d impact payload a bit, but wasn’t exactly sure.

I’m hoping I’ll still be under payload with a ~7000# camper, wife and 2 small kids, gear, and a couple of kayaks. It’s been hard to pin down exactly what my payload capacity will be though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DANNER

DANNER

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you swap out your wheels, they are likely going to be heavier and possibly weaker as well.
Do you know how much the stock wheels weigh?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I agree, I would have got it too.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
[/QUOTE]
...It’s been hard to pin down exactly what my payload capacity will be though.
Ford loves to tout their towing and payload numbers but when it comes to the actual numbers of as equipped trucks, they are pretty cagey about it.

This has the various maximum payload and towing figures of the different frame/cab and powertrain configurations:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf

However; if you want the closest numbers possible for the different trim lines and accessory options, really the only way is to do some detective work and find an identical truck and see what it's payload sticker on the door frame says.

Some of the dealers on cars.com will include pictures of the sticker but they won't always list every option. Another way would be to use Ford's search tool with the widest radius possible and see if anything matches and call the dealer to ask them to send a picture of the sticker.

Here's the stickers from my truck, Reg. Cab 4X4 XLT HDPP 5.0 w/ 8' bed.

Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings 3642154C-E358-400F-B286-F7422BEFC32F
Ford F-150 Stock Heavy-Duty Payload Wheel Load Ratings E4BB8903-6751-4B12-9C5C-F1E40584303D

Do you know how much the stock wheels weigh?
No idea at this point, though I am looking for a spare set and it's only a matter of time before someone puts them on a scale.

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Has anyone noticed that HDPP is no longer An f150 option.?

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Has anyone noticed that HDPP is no longer An f150 option.?
According to the Order Guide from 3/14/22 and the current build and price it is. Only available up to 301a, and certain cab/bed configurations.
Sponsored