Sponsored

Stock dipstick on Powerboost (Ecoboost too?) is crap.

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
After two powerboost oil changes, I believe that getting an accurate read on the motor's oil level is a matter of interpretation and divine inspiration. Watching the level on the dipstick as I slowly added oil after 5 quarts where it was just below the bottom hole, is an exercise in frustration. The oil is smeared all over the stick, perhaps due to the double-bumps/kinks in the factory dipstick, making it tough to really know the actual level. 5 1/2 quarts was close to the bottom hole, but after that, it's anyone's guess. If I didn't know that I had put in 6 quarts, I'd just be guessing how much oil is in the motor. If there's a dipstick-whisperer out there with more, better knowledge, I'd love to learn more. Thoughts?
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I think it's the same issue on other engines as well. When I changed my oil, I had that issue after I got partially up to the read area. Like you, I could easily see the level when it was at the bottom. As soon as I added a little more, there was oil everywhere.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I always check mine after the car has been parked overnight, but i realize it doesnt help when you're doing an oil change!

My dealer has overfilled me justtttt a hair twice now (so seems like they can see it either)

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
In changing my own oil... I have found that it really only takes 5& 1/2 quarts, not 6. I learned on other cars years ago that you add recommended minus 1 qt check level at the bottom mark, then run the engine for a few minutes, then top up. I my observation the PowerBoost (mine) requires only 5 & 1/2 quarts.

OP
OP

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
In changing my own oil... I have found that it really only takes 5& 1/2 quarts, not 6. I learned on other cars years ago that you add recommended minus 1 qt check level at the bottom mark, then run the engine for a few minutes, then top up. I my observation the PowerBoost (mine) requires only 5 & 1/2 quarts.
Are you installing the new filter dry or with any of that 5.5 quarts of new oil?

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I put in 5 qts, then run the engine and top up. So the filter has filled. Invariably the top up is only another half qt.

OP
OP

bowling

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I put in 5 qts, then run the engine and top up. So the filter has filled. Invariably the top up is only another half qt.
OK, so no attempt to put any oil in the filter before installing it. I tried that once and it was, as you can imagine, a mess. :)

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Yeah its bad on the 2.7 too, but not as bad as the pop up ads on this site that literally shift the entire screen while you're trying to type or read.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Trying to pre-fill the filter is fruitless... Since its horizontal nearly all oil will drain out while screwing it down...

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've never had any vehicle that the dipstick doesn't get covered when adding oil and trying to check within 30 mins. I also wait and only check oil levels overnight.
Sponsored