Steering Wheel Controls Not Working Properly

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Took a 300+ mile road trip in my new 2021 Lariat and was rolling along with adaptive cruise control fine and suddenly pop up message said adaptive cruise control unavailable and stopped suddenly.

None of the steering wheel controls on the left side are working now. These controls include volume controls, adaptive cruise controls, voice activation, lane centering/keeping, and back up sensors.

Any suggestions? Happening to anyone else?
Sponsored

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Took a 300+ mile road trip in my new 2021 Lariat and was rolling along with adaptive cruise control fine and suddenly pop up message said adaptive cruise control unavailable and stopped suddenly.

None of the steering wheel controls on the left side are working now. These controls include volume controls, adaptive cruise controls, voice activation, lane centering/keeping, and back up sensors.

Any suggestions? Happening to anyone else?
Did you try turning vehicle off then back on? Had a similar issue with another vehicle.

OP
OP

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Yes, the volume worked for like one press only then nothing....

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Are these buttons RF controls?
I would imagine that something got lost in the updating before shipping

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I know you shouldn't have to in a brand new vehicle, but remove the negative terminal off the battery. Leave it off for about 1 minute then put it back on. Now, before the other brand truck fan boys poop on Ford, no matter what brand including Tesla, issues can and will happen occasionally.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I know you shouldn't have to in a brand new vehicle, but remove the negative terminal off the battery. Leave it off for about 1 minute then put it back on. Now, before the other brand truck fan boys poop on Ford, no matter what brand including Tesla, issues can and will happen occasionally.
I will try this tomorrow. Beats returning to dealer for something this simple.

Are these buttons RF controls?
I would imagine that something got lost in the updating before shipping
RF = Radio Frequency? Unknown.

Any suggestions on resolution?

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I will try this tomorrow. Beats returning to dealer for something this simple.
Wishiwas has the right idea and I agree with you. Try what you can and it nothing, call the dealer and get her in.

Total reboot will let you know if it is software, if not, some relay or connector stopped working or bad connection.

Hate to hear about it happening to you new truck but it will get squared away and back to fun times.

OP
OP

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Wishiwas has the right idea and I agree with you. Try what you can and it nothing, call the dealer and get her in.

Total reboot will let you know if it is software, if not, some relay or connector stopped working or bad connection.

Hate to hear about it happening to you new truck but it will get squared away and back to fun times.
Wonder if there is a way to do a reboot without removing the negative battery terminal.?....it’s pouring down rain here today..

Did a little more research could be a faulty clock spring or connection if reboot doesn’t fix. Article I read said one way to test is to hold down button and turn wheel at the same time. If the buttons work in a certain position then it’s the clock spring.

This article obviously wasn’t for 2021 f150 but helpful nonetheless

OP
OP

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
1. Yesterday, While driving with a trailer connected in tow haul mode I was using adaptive cruise control when suddenly a message popped up stating Adaptive Cruise Control is unavailable and cruise control stopped working. Then non of the buttons on the left of the steering wheel worked. All buttons on the right of the steering wheel continued to function as designed.

During this time I was playing with all the features of my new truck but couldnt remember the exact buttons I pressed.

2. This morning I tested this further in my driveway. I started the truck after being shut off all night and all controls on the left side functioned properly. (Go figure) But when I pressed the Voice Control button but cancelled out of the on screen prompt none of the buttons on the left side would function after that.

I then shut the truck off for approximately 5 mins then started it again none of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel would respond.

3. I held the volume button on the left side as I rotated the steering wheel to eliminate the possibility of a bad connection or faulty clock spring. Buttons still didnt respond.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
1. Yesterday, While driving with a trailer connected in tow haul mode I was using adaptive cruise control when suddenly a message popped up stating Adaptive Cruise Control is unavailable and cruise control stopped working. Then non of the buttons on the left of the steering wheel worked. All buttons on the right of the steering wheel continued to function as designed.

During this time I was playing with all the features of my new truck but couldnt remember the exact buttons I pressed.

2. This morning I tested this further in my driveway. I started the truck after being shut off all night and all controls on the left side functioned properly. (Go figure) But when I pressed the Voice Control button but cancelled out of the on screen prompt none of the buttons on the left side would function after that.

I then shut the truck off for approximately 5 mins then started it again none of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel would respond.

3. I held the volume button on the left side as I rotated the steering wheel to eliminate the possibility of a bad connection or faulty clock spring. Buttons still didnt respond.
I've had my voice prompt button on the steering wheel not respond.
But seems fine now.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I’m sure you all have probably worked through this option, but are we sure the issue isn’t a feature when the truck/Sync 4 is in “voice activation” mode it disables inputs from some of the buttons?

Is it possible it deactivates the buttons because it wants you to talk instead?

I know it’s a long shot, but wanted to provide what little help I could.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I’m sure you all have probably worked through this option, but are we sure the issue isn’t a feature when the truck/Sync 4 is in “voice activation” mode it disables inputs from some of the buttons?

Is it possible it deactivates the buttons because it wants you to talk instead?

I know it’s a long shot, but wanted to provide what little help I could.
Usually after a minute or two button works fine.
The voice recognition is spotty also. I blame that on the Texas Drawl..
Lol

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT

Just wondering what your resolution was.

OP
OP

CareyWKU

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Just wondering what your resolution was.
Contacted the dealer after my first post and they said they are getting with their service manager to discuss possible cause/solution.

Since then the controls have been it or miss. 1 day working fine another no functionality regardless if I hit voice control button or not.

Still no resolution at this point.

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Contacted the dealer after my first post and they said they are getting with their service manager to discuss possible cause/solution.

Since then the controls have been it or miss. 1 day working fine another no functionality regardless if I hit voice control button or not.

Still no resolution at this point.
I know you would probably prefer to drive your baby, but I would ask for a loaner until they can straighten things out. You know the old joke, must have been built on a Friday afternoon.
Good Luck. Let us know what happens.
Sponsored