Sponsored

Steering feels stiff

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Could be that's it's a titch on the nippy side.

Ford F-150 Steering feels stiff 1

Anyone else finding that the steering is really tight in cold weather? It's almost at the point where I'd worry if I had to make an emergency maneuver. Leaving lots of space and driving slow should alleviate that but, you never know....
Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician

1.png

Anyone else finding that the steering is really tight in cold weather? It's almost at the point where I'd worry if I had to make an emergency maneuver. Leaving lots of space and driving slow should alleviate that but, you never know....
I had the same feeling in Winnipeg yesterday. Steering was HEAVY feeling when trying to get around in parking lots. Was even harder after coming off the highway with the cold air moving over the steering.

Reactions: 780

Crawfunkle

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duesenberg Model J
Yep - same deal here, just did a 5hr drive in -33, pulled off the highway into town and steering was as Stiff as a honeymooners….

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
omg thats freaking toooo cold
its 12f here now and its sharp on the body

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired

1.png

15 below where I'm located in Minnesota and my steering is also a little stiff. Transmission also takes for ever to warm up.

Sponsored

Blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
It could be a battery problem, my truck lost the power steering assist which is electrical several times. I would get a warning on Ford Pass and the steering would feel like manual steering of the old days. After the battery was replaced all is good.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think it is a battery issue...it is plain old MOTHER NATURE freezing our butts along with all the oils and greases used on the trucks. If the truck is running long enough and the heat from the motor gets around to the steering linkage the stiffness goes away. As long as you are driving around town, but once on the highway they will chill and become stiff again. (Only to have that problem again...;);););))

OP
OP

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I don't think it is a battery issue...it is plain old MOTHER NATURE freezing our butts along with all the oils and greases used on the trucks. If the truck is running long enough and the heat from the motor gets around to the steering linkage the stiffness goes away. As long as you are driving around town, but once on the highway they will chill and become stiff again. (Only to have that problem again...;);););))
Yep. And my commute is all freeway / highway.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Yep. And my commute is all freeway / highway.
Also, if it was the battery, you would have other stupid little things happening to your truck. There is a number of faults in different threads that are due to a battery problem.

Nomis

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat FX4 w/ 5.0
I bought my truck in Calgary just before Christmas during the cold snap (-30 and colder). The steering, brakes, everything were completely stiff. Drove up to south of GP for work and parked it. I've mosied around in the bush a bit here, now that it is warmer it is all normal.
Sponsored