Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Principal at Granger Motors
Karl, the pleasure of assisting you with your purchase was all ours, you and your lovely wife were a true pleasure to work with...

Albert
Sponsored

claytonr

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
After what seems to be an interminable amount of waiting, our Platinum was finally delivered to Granger Ford yesterday. Albert and Brandon were kind enough to share a few photos with me, which I'm posting here for all to enjoy as well.

The Star White really has some great color when looking at the photo from the rear passenger quarter. I have to say that I couldn't be happier with Albert and his team. Not just the pricing, but the customer service has been extraordinary. Flying to Des Moines in a couple of days to take delivery.

This was a "stock" order (he placed my order both as stock and retail) which was built on 12/22. This is order #103 on the tracking web site.

EDIT: adding a couple of other details: trailer tow package; powerboost; 7.2kW pro power on board; FX4 package; moon roof; lockable storage; work station; tow mirrors. I didn't get the max tow, as I didn't see that I personally had the need. Probably why my payload is a bit less than some others. Also skipped the max recline seats.

FullSizeRender.jpeg
IMG_4190.jpeg
EDIT #2, February 3, 2021: I promised Albert and a couple of Forum Members that I'd give a summary of my experience in purchasing out of state and driving 1600 miles back to Florida. This edit adds that summary, plus a couple of pictures which I missed.

• Touchdown (not of the football variety). Granger was kind enough to have Chip meet my wife and I at the airport in Des Moines. Chip’s in his mid-50’s and knows his cars. The drive to Granger was pretty about ½ hour, but it seemed like only a few minutes. My recommendation is that if you’re buying from Granger, try and arrive early enough in the day to take delivery/inspect/and put some miles on. Especially if you’re doing this in the winter. It’s a nice area, but there’s not a ton going on. Kansas City is about 3 hours away, fwiw. Upon arrival, the truck was waiting under the canopy, all freshly cleaned and ready for inspection. Alin was the finance guy I was working with, even though I was a cash buyer. He had all of the paperwork ready for me to sign, which took less than 5 minutes. Temp/Transit tag was taped inside the back window, paperwork in an envelope and it was time to go back out and inspect the truck with my wife.
  • Inspection. I had read on the Forum some things to look for, but as ours was one of the first deliveries, it was hard to pinpoint anything. I checked out the obvious things – paint, chrome, trim, any exterior scratches, roof area (I had read of another truck with roof damage during delivery), tires, tonneau, bedliner, carpet, miles on the odometer (10), etc. Things I wish I had known about but didn’t: (i) rust on the rear axle – we’re seeing a lot of that show up on the forums right now. If I had known about it prior to arrival, I would have asked Granger to rack it and clean it off. I don’t know if they would have been able to do much, but I’m certain they would have tried; (ii) darn wireless charger, which in my case there really isn’t one as the pad is recessed, is missing the holster (albeit, sounds like that’s pretty useless as it gets in the way of the fan speed switch), and is missing the lower lip which holds the phone against the pad; (iii) tire pressure, which someone at Granger really pumped up to 45 lbs on both the TPMS and when I checked with a tire gauge. It’s fair to say that if I had discovered the wireless charger issue and the underbody rust, I would have still taken delivery.
  • Minor things. The truck is going to be in default settings. I had FordPass and an account set up on my phone prior to arrival, with the VIN plugged in. Chip took a couple of minutes and got it connected to the vehicle for me, as well as Apple CarPlay. The rear tailgate will be in manual, and most of the settings will be too. Take a few minutes to make sure that you get your mirrors set, etc., before you put this baby in drive and head out on the highway. Press and hold setting 1 until you get the confirmation, so that you don’t have to readjust after your wife takes a turn driving. If you have a tow package, the pro-trailer back up assist harness and sensor should be under the back seat. There may be anther 7-way in the glove box.
  • Driving. It’s new. We drove about 1600 miles back to Florida and did everything we could to stay off of the interstate and on state and US highways. Take your time. Drive like you’ve got an egg between your foot and the pedal for the first 1000 miles (it’ll train you to drive the hybrid, if you have one, doing this). Drive through small towns that you’d never consider driving through. Stop at lights, stop at diners, stop at historical markers (we stopped at the site of the 3rd of the 7 Lincoln Douglass debates), drive through national forests, etc. Just take your time and let that engine seat its seals properly so that you’re not having oil burning issues down the road. Once you get over 1000, don’t be afraid to drive it, but also don’t hammer the brakes (my opinion is that they take twice as long to really break in). If you’re buying a brand new truck out of state, make sure you plan to have the time to drive it home.
  • After-the-fact thoughts. (i) I didn’t take time to read the Florida DMV requirements for registering a new vehicle from out of state. You need the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin. I didn’t get that at the time of delivery, but Granger was kind enough to send it to me UPS so that I could meet my scheduled appointment to register and pay the state its sales tax. Make a copy. You’ll never see it again. (ii) Insurance: Not sure how much time you have to notify your insurance company, but I called mine from the road and added the truck to my existing policy. I don’t like not having that in place, but you may have 30 days. Check with your carrier. (iii) Trip calculators. I learned this when I had a Tesla Model S: set Trip 2 and never, ever change it. It’ll let you know your vehicles performance over time. Use Trip 1 for your mpg/tank or trip. (iv) Sound System. I’m still working on this one. Higher fidelity using Spotify than using SiriusXM, although I’ve been an XM subscriber for probably 20 years. (v) Don’t forget to set up your truck to a secure wifi network at home, work, or both. That’s how they’ll be shipping the OTA updates to the trucks. (vi) nav system. Yeah. It can be wonky. Took me down an “unnamed road” in the middle of Illinois, which was running parallel to the state highway I wanted to be on. It also had me driving in circles one night to simply make a right turn. It’s not fool proof. I have Waze, but I haven’t spent the time to make sure that it’s connected through the app system.
  • My wife and I are thrilled with our decision. Albert and the team at Granger did everything they could to take the mystery out of dealing with a purchase 1600 miles from home. We’d do it again, without hesitation. Since we’ve returned I took the truck in to get a warranty appointment for the wireless charger. Salesmen drooling over the truck! And “no” they said, no way they would be able to match the truck price or the ridiculously low dealer fee. If you’ve got any questions, please feel free to pm me, or post them here, and I’ll try to answer.
What sales tax did they charge you to register it? I’m reading that Iowa has no sales tax on vehicles. Was it the full 6% of the purchase price?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
What sales tax did they charge you to register it? I’m reading that Iowa has no sales tax on vehicles. Was it the full 6% of the purchase price?
You pay the sales tax based on the address (both city and county matter) of your residence, not the location you buy.

claytonr

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
You pay the sales tax based on the address (both city and county matter) of your residence, not the location you buy.
In Florida on a new vehicle from what I’ve read you pay the difference when you purchase out of state. So if the state you buy in charges 5% then you would owe 1% plus any county tax.

OP
OP
dog_tired

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
No sales tax charged in Iowa. I had to pay when I registered it in FL, provided a copy of the sales sheet and the MCO.

Sponsored

mnikolich

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Ford Mustang
Karl, the pleasure of assisting you with your purchase was all ours, you and your lovely wife were a true pleasure to work with...

Albert
Albert can I get your contact info. Interested in buying an F150

Thanks,

Mark

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Albert can I get your contact info. Interested in buying an F150

Thanks,

Mark
Mark,
Albert was out when I tried reaching out to Granger. I dealt with Chip Giles (515) 999-8211. Nice guy, very helpful and came up with an excellent price.
Dave
Sponsored