Standard vs B&O Audio (Non-unleashed)

jackdz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I just took delivery of my 2021 F-150 with the B&O 8 speaker system. I'm pretty disappointed with it so far. The center channel (middle of the dash) speaker is WAY too bright, overwhelming the rest. As a reference, In the late 80's/early 90's all of my vehicles had custom aftermarket systems. My last truck was a 2017 F150 with the base model 7 speaker system. I liked the 2017 system better. I may look at a passive way to tone down the center channel speaker.
So after living with this system for a week, I am regretting adding this system to my build. I listen to a wide variety of music (country, rock, rap, 80's, new wave) and talk radio. I have switched back and forth between surround and stereo and am very disappointed with this system. The only way that I have found to make it sound ok is to fade the speakers heavily towards the rear, helping to cut down on the overpowering center channel. My next step will probably be to remove the center channel completely. I only wish I would have been able to listen to the base system, compared to both of the B&O offerings from Ford before ordering. Even my wife (who thinks that her bluetooth speaker she has in the kitchen is awesome) thinks this system really sounds bad. This is my 5th F150 and the first time I have ever been this disappointed with the stereo system, and the other 4 were the base systems.
Sponsored

wsp1811

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Sport-Screw, 2.7L,carbonized grey, 302a.
So after living with this system for a week, I am regretting adding this system to my build. I listen to a wide variety of music (country, rock, rap, 80's, new wave) and talk radio. I have switched back and forth between surround and stereo and am very disappointed with this system. The only way that I have found to make it sound ok is to fade the speakers heavily towards the rear, helping to cut down on the overpowering center channel. My next step will probably be to remove the center channel completely. I only wish I would have been able to listen to the base system, compared to both of the B&O offerings from Ford before ordering. Even my wife (who thinks that her bluetooth speaker she has in the kitchen is awesome) thinks this system really sounds bad. This is my 5th F150 and the first time I have ever been this disappointed with the stereo system, and the other 4 were the base systems.
Wow, hope I do not have the same experience. Ordered my XLT with the B&O upgrade thinking it would be worth the improvement over stock. Several other people have posted positive experiences with the upgrade. I guess I will find out when it arrives.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I have the Unleashed system. I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and have a lot of good equipment at home. This system is pretty darn good. Much better than the Bose systems I have/had in Chevy and Porsche. I also recently started a trial of Tidal (Master). Tidal > Unleashed is pretty awesome, IMO.

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
The base B&O system needs a powered sub in a bad way. That would balance out the center channel and others. Clarity is good, but lows are lacking

jackdz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
I think I found the problem. I lowered the drivers side rear backseat (super crew) and looked at the B&O amp. It has 3 speaker connections and one blue wire power connection. I pushed in on each of the 3 speaker connections and the middle one snapped it further. Now, the door speakers are very similar to the center channel. I’ll find out more on my drive today.

Sponsored

SpartanDS

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4, Space White
The standard B&O is night and day better than my 2017 Silverado. I would like a little more bass though.
Also, I don’t think the volume goes loud enough in general.

serinjune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 3.5L EB FX4
I think I found the problem. I lowered the drivers side rear backseat (super crew) and looked at the B&O amp. It has 3 speaker connections and one blue wire power connection. I pushed in on each of the 3 speaker connections and the middle one snapped it further. Now, the door speakers are very similar to the center channel. I’ll find out more on my drive today.
Did you get a chance to hear the difference? I've had some suspicions that this system is under-powered or not installed properly, and your findings could confirm my bias!! ?

jackdz

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Did you get a chance to hear the difference? I've had some suspicions that this system is under-powered or not installed properly, and your findings could confirm my bias!! ?
The system is definitely better, but I still think the center channel is too bright.

Regrebner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I listened to both standard and b&o standard. I went in to buy a truck that had b&o standard in it. I listened to it but wasn’t impressed at all. I’m some what of an audiophile so I expected more from a b&o... I drove a truck with much different amenities but only had a stock radio. There is a slight difference in highs and mids between the 2. The stock system sounds REALLY good for a stock system. Most people would not be disappointed in it at all. Sounds just as good as other upgraded systems from older generation vehicles. The b&o just didn’t have enough bass and loudness to justify that price tag. Sure it sounded better but marginally. I’ll gladly purchase the fitted kicker sub that Ford sells, throw in an alpine 45x4 non powered amp for the other speakers that I already had, possibly replace the tweeters and I guarantee it sounds better than the standard b&o. That’s just me though.

CarolynStride

First Name
Carolyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 4x2
Occupation
Retired?
I worked in loudspeaker design as an admin for many years. Both high end home and car loudspeakers.
my original plan was to replace speakers and add an amp and sub to the standard system because I was getting 301a. Later I really thought I needed led lights and decided to upgrade to 302a, at which point the b&o was available.
i got the b&o. I like having a soundstage with acenter speaker for midrange voices. Having a balance of sound designed in is better than hoping the dude a stereo shop hires knows anything about acoustics. Seems a lot of people are happy with loud. I want to hear the quit stuff and the detail. ( those of you with the coyote engine will need loud lol).
unleashed seemed like over kill and too complicated.18 speakers. Yikes.
those who have standard systems: some really good speakers will improve the sound greatly. And if you want loud add an amp so you font doom your speakers to an early death due to distortion.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Having listened to both systems back to back, I truly didn't feel the 8-speaker B&O was all that much better than than the stock system. I'm willing to bet the majority of listeners wouldn't really notice a difference between the two either. Disappointing to say the least. It's not even as good as the previous generation B&O system imo. The money spent on the B&O upgrade could be put towards some nice aftermarket stuff on the stock system with much greater reward. The unleashed is on a completely different level.

Davecp114

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT SuperCrew
I thought I'd post my thoughts after 2 weeks with my 2021 F150 with the 8 speaker B&O sound system. As some of the posters have mentioned, it's slightly "front heavy" but sounds great. My F150 SuperCrew is an XLT and this was well worth the upgrade. Don't expect this to be a "boomin' " system you might have had back in the day with bass that makes your rear view mirror unusable. I mostly listen to music of many varieties and I find the sound from the system to be accurate...the bass isn't overwhelming by very present with certain types of music. The higher frequencies are crisp and clear but not overly "bright". I feel that the sound is well balanced and will sound pleasing to most people. I would have definitely sprung for the unleashed version had it been available on the XLT but this is a major upgrade over the base audio system. Spend the extra $650 and get it.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
I went from a 2018 Raptor with the B&O system and was thinking the 2021 standard B&O system would be the same...but the bass is very lacking. Heard that the 2021 sub is smaller than the old system sub...so it has me thinking can I get a 2018-2020 B&O sub and swap it for the current one.

Jrohner78

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 xlt fx4
So the new sub looks like there is a lot to be desired compared to the old B&O sub. A quick look on ford parts the 8 speaker and 18 speaker sub look the same... Can anyone confirm this?

The plug style on both subs are pretty close but the old sub has 4 wires to the new subs 2...if one was to convert there is one obstacle to overcome besides the mounting of the sub it's self.

Ford F-150 Standard vs B&O Audio (Non-unleashed) 20210413_083057

Ford F-150 Standard vs B&O Audio (Non-unleashed) Screenshot_20210413-083050_eBay

ematherne11

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Platinum CrewCab FX4
following... Im disappointed in the sub on this system as well. Everything else sounds great. A quick and easy sub upgrade/replacement would be awesome!
Sponsored