Sponsored

Standard transfer case

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
I’m slightly disappointed- All this time I was under the impression (according to the hero card) that the Tremor 400A and 401A come with 4A Automatic AWD. A recent walk around on YouTube shows a 401A vs 402A; the 401A has 2H 4H 4L while the 402A had the 4A in addition to the others. Anyone else under this -False- impression?

Ford F-150 Standard transfer case D2308815-2B76-460A-A4B9-CFE466F65CB4
Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I always understood that it was only the 402A receiving the Raptor transfer case. It's one of the reasons I ordered a 402A.

James Dean

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4. 2015 Corvette 2018 Ford Explorer
I saw that video too. I was surprised. I was also surprised to see so many being bought without the Torsen. IMO the Torsen is a big part of the Tremor Package.

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The Hero Card says Automatic AWD is standard, guess that's how I got that. The Job 2 order guide lists both, as standard.

"MECHANICAL ● 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® Engine with Auto Start-Stop Technology ● 4x4 Electronic-Shift-On-the-Fly (ESOF) with Neutral Towing Capability ● Auto Hold ● 3.73 Electronic-locking rear-axle ● 9.75” gearset ● Brakes – 4-Wheel Disc with ABS ● Class IV Trailer Hitch (incl. Smart Trailer Tow Connector, 7- pin wiring harness; includes 7-pin-to-4-pin adapter, Class IV trailer hitch receiver) ● Electric Parking Brake ● Electronic Ten-Speed Automatic Transmission ● Exhaust – Unique Dual Outlet ● Fail-Safe Cooling ● Heavy-Duty Jack ● Selectable Drive Modes: Normal, ECO, Sport, Tow/Haul, Slippery, Deep Snow/Sand, Mud/Rut, Rock Crawl ● SelectShift® Automatic Transmission with Progressive Range Select ● Shocks – Off-Road Front and Rear; Tremor Logo on Rear ● Springs, Front – Coil ● Springs, Rear – Leaf, Two-Stage Variable Rate ● Stabilizer Bar, Front ● Steering – Power, Rack-and-Pinion ● Two-Speed Automatic AWD with Mechanical Locking 4WD ● Unique Tremor Control Arms ● Unique Tremor Front Knuckle ● Unique Tremor Style Step Bars"

ChrisSandstorm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor, 2019 VW Atlas, 2001 Land Cruiser
Occupation
Healthcare IT
Ok but is the gas mileage different? Personally I would rather be in 2H all the time for MPG and tire wear.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...IMO the Torsen is a big part of the Tremor Package.
The Torsen and upfitter switches are unique to Tremor, it's really just an appearance package otherwise.

The 4A transfer case is less than a thousand dollars more than the part time 4X4 case and using it as a carrot on a stick for packages and trim levels is bullshit, it's just another way of getting things done, full time 4X4 has nothing to do with luxury, it's an important safety feature for mixed driving conditions or even a solution for drivers that can't be trusted with remembering to turn part time 4X4 on and off.

Ok but is the gas mileage different? Personally I would rather be in 2H all the time for MPG and tire wear.
The 4A transfer case has a 2H setting, I think it uses the IWEs as well, so MPG should be the same as 2H on the part time case. The weight difference between the two is negligible.

The speed that the 4A biases torque is pretty much instant and it's better than a center diff style transfer case like on Toyota and Jeep in that regard, the only thing to keep in mind is to switch to 4H from 4A if you are in sand or you will overheat the clutch pack and get stuck.

My first truck with a physical shifter on the transfer case could switch to 4X4 from RWD pretty much as fast as I could shift it, which was between .2 and .5 seconds, which was plenty of time to power out of a slide and recover the skid in ice and snow. The electric shifting on my F-150 is slow as molasses in comparison. I use the 4x4 once a month as per the manual and drive for a few minutes on a straight dirt road. The average time to shift from 2H to 4H is 2 whole seconds and sometimes more, then sometimes it won't shift at all unless I push the button a second time.

Also, as for the Tremor, on the configurator I only see 3.73 gears as an option, weren't shorter gears available? I could have sworn there used to be a 4.10 final drive ratio as an option.

James Dean

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4. 2015 Corvette 2018 Ford Explorer
Also, as for the Tremor, on the configurator I only see 3.73 gears as an option, weren't shorter gears available? I could have sworn there used to be a 4.10 final drive ratio as an option.
[/QUOTE]

Ford really dropped the ball on this entire Tremor launch. I've yet to see a Tremor with a Torsen so I don't think anyone really knows for sure if you order the Torsen if your getting 3.73 or 4.10. The orange insert on the seats came as a surprise too. These days, who knows what's next

BA73

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Construction

Ford really dropped the ball on this entire Tremor launch. I've yet to see a Tremor with a Torsen so I don't think anyone really knows for sure if you order the Torsen if your getting 3.73 or 4.10. The orange insert on the seats came as a surprise too. These days, who knows what's next
[/QUOTE]
Ford did finally update the description of the Torsen option on the Tremor build and price - no longer mentions 4.10s

Ford F-150 Standard transfer case Screenshot_20210909-202438_Chrome

ChrisSandstorm

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor, 2019 VW Atlas, 2001 Land Cruiser
Occupation
Healthcare IT
I am looking at one today, I am not waiting for my order. I am worried they aren't going to build it and punt me to 2022. I found one in 402a,crossing my fingers they don't jack with me on price or i am walking.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford really dropped the ball on this entire Tremor launch...
Agreed, Ford announced that Tremor would be an off-road oriented truck priced below the Raptor but as it sits, it's an overpriced, overhyped appearance package with nothing unique functionally to offer other than a factory installed Torsen and Auxiliary switches.

I always understood that it was only the 402A receiving the Raptor transfer case. It's one of the reasons I ordered a 402A.
Ford calling it the Raptor transfer case sounds a lot cooler than calling it the Lariat and above transfer case. Strangely, it looks like the base equipment group Lariat is equipped with the 4A, however Tremor isn't? Pretty lame if that's true. The 4A case is $2000 new from Ford and the part time case is $1,300.

You can get a Lariat for a lot less than the Tremor and not be pigeonholed into a single engine and cab/box configuration. With the money saved, you can get a Torsen installed along with whatever final drive ratio after the fact. Though then it's not a Tremor.

Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Ford calling it the Raptor transfer case sounds a lot cooler than calling it the Lariat and above transfer case. Strangely, it looks like the base equipment group Lariat is equipped with the 4A, however Tremor isn't? Pretty lame if that's true. The 4A case is $2000 new from Ford and the part time case is $1,300.

You can get a Lariat for a lot less than the Tremor and not be pigeonholed into a single engine and cab/box configuration. With the money saved, you can get a Torsen installed along with whatever final drive ratio after the fact. Though then it's not a Tremor.
It's not the same as transfer case that the lariats and above have. The lariat transfer case relies on clutches in 4HI and 4Low which can overheat and will be disabled in tough conditions. The Hi-Lock transfer case (AKA Raptor transfer case) will mechanically lock in 4HI and 4Low and will never overheat or slip.

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's not the same as transfer case that the lariats and above have. The lariat transfer case relies on clutches in 4HI and 4Low which can overheat and will be disabled in tough conditions. The Hi-Lock transfer case (AKA Raptor transfer case) will mechanically lock in 4HI and 4Low and will never overheat or slip.
This- So this is what, according to the early press briefings and information pamphlets indicated the 400A and 401 were supposed to have, and the hi-lock for the 402A

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
This- So this is what, according to the early press briefings and information pamphlets indicated the 400A and 401 were supposed to have, and the hi-lock for the 402A
Just because it doesn't have 4A doesn't mean it is not a "Raptor transfer case". I don't think the Lariat 4A is a "Raptor transfer case."

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just because it doesn't have 4A doesn't mean it is not a "Raptor transfer case". I don't think the Lariat 4A is a "Raptor transfer case."
I think the early marketing was a bit misleading. Some were expecting the lariat transfer case that had the ability to do 4A in the 400 and 401.

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
I think the early marketing was a bit misleading. Some were expecting the lariat transfer case that had the ability to do 4A in the 400 and 401.
I understand but the key word is "early" but let's not confuse "hi lock" and 4A

edit: I have no idea if it does or doesn't( differences in transfer cases) but I don't think anybody else does either.
Sponsored