Sponsored

Standard transfer case

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban Z71
This- So this is what, according to the early press briefings and information pamphlets indicated the 400A and 401 were supposed to have, and the hi-lock for the 402A
Doing a quick Google search on this, I stumbled upon Ford’s Tremor media release and found this snippet. Looks like the Raptor transfer case is only on the 402A. Disappointing. Interestingly, the media release says that transfer case is “similar” to the Raptor transfer case. I now wonder if it is in fact the same.

“To really get in to and through tough, rocky trails, standard running gear includes a locking rear differential and optional late-availability upgrade to a Torsen® limited-slip front across all equipment levels. Tremor high series customers get a torque-on-demand transfer case similar to the high-performance unit in F-150 Raptor. This cutting-edge case merges all-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive capabilities to handle virtually any off-road environment.”
Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It's not the same as transfer case that the lariats and above have. The lariat transfer case relies on clutches in 4HI and 4Low which can overheat and will be disabled in tough conditions. The Hi-Lock transfer case (AKA Raptor transfer case) will mechanically lock in 4HI and 4Low and will never overheat or slip.
Doing a quick Google search on this, I stumbled upon Ford’s Tremor media release and found this snippet. Looks like the Raptor transfer case is only on the 402A. Disappointing. Interestingly, the media release says that transfer case is “similar” to the Raptor transfer case. I now wonder if it is in fact the same.
It's hard to find the parts, since Ford won't let you use Raptor VINs on parts.ford.com but the regular 4A also is described as having locking clutches for 4H/4L and that feature goes back all the way to the ControlTrac of the mid 90's which is the predecessor to the current Borg Warner cases.

All the transfer cases will overheat if left in 4A in the sand, there's even a couple YouTube videos of Raptor owners bitching about their 'transfer case overheat' warning on the dashboard. Maybe the newest ones can figure it out and shift into 4H automatically. I don't know, since despite millions being made, there's not a ton of information about the Borg Warner cases used in the F150s, probably because they're not popular in swaps.

Ford still has the 4.10 gear option listed here in specifications:

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-tremor/

Ford F-150 Standard transfer case 7400461F-797F-4E95-B2A5-E73F06586025

It also mentions the Tremor specific knuckles and control arms, any official confirmation of that? From the preposterous rake in all the pictures of production Tremors it appears that they have standard F-150 front suspension.

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban Z71
It's hard to find the parts, since Ford won't let you use Raptor VINs on parts.ford.com but the regular 4A also is described as having locking clutches for 4H/4L and that feature goes back all the way to the ControlTrac of the mid 90's which is the predecessor to the current Borg Warner cases.

All the transfer cases will overheat if left in 4A in the sand, there's even a couple YouTube videos of Raptor owners bitching about their 'transfer case overheat' warning on the dashboard. Maybe the newest ones can figure it out and shift into 4H automatically. I don't know, since despite millions being made, there's not a ton of information about the Borg Warner cases used in the F150s, probably because they're not popular in swaps.

Ford still has the 4.10 gear option listed here in specifications:

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-tremor/

7400461F-797F-4E95-B2A5-E73F06586025.jpeg

It also mentions the Tremor specific knuckles and control arms, any official confirmation of that? From the preposterous rake in all the pictures of production Tremors it appears that they have standard F-150 front suspension.
Maybe Ford just added Tremor stickers to the control arms and knuckles and called them “unique.” Can’t disagree about that rake though. A little disturbed from another post I saw where somebody that was 5’11” said the tailgate went to their nose.
Sponsored