First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Last week, we pulled the 6500 lb travel trailer the 500+ miles from Northern Virginia down to Charleston, SC for spring break with the Powerboost.

Ford F-150 Spring break in Charleston SC by way of towing 6500 lb travel trailer 500+ miles with 2022 PowerBoost F-150 919389E1-A4B0-4EE1-9D09-635838313178

We started out on Friday (3/31) after the kids got out of school, and got a few hours of driving under our belt before stopping for the night at a Cracker Barrel south of Richmond. Apparently everybody is on the road on the Friday before spring break, so we mostly crawled down the highway for those first few hours. I was prepared to plug the trailer into the truck to get power that evening, but we ended up not needing it. On the plus side, we tended to get better towing mileage that night at 12mpg.

We finished the rest of southern Virginia, NC, and SC on Saturday April 1, through some rain and lots of strong wind. There was less traffic south of Richmond, so I could get up to 75 or more once the wind calmed down. Still, between the wind and the faster speeds, I spent that day in the 8-10mpg range. Also, we were amazed at the number of cars and trucks we saw with huge wheels like this:
Ford F-150 Spring break in Charleston SC by way of towing 6500 lb travel trailer 500+ miles with 2022 PowerBoost F-150 03212E3E-51E4-4C74-A8E3-3EEBF405A09B

That’s not something that we see much of in my area, so I’m guessing that it’s a regional thing.

We stayed the week at the KOA in Ladson, SC. It’s a serviceable enough campground to use as a base of operations for touring the attractions, but I’m not sure that I would recommend it if you’re planning on spending much time in the campground itself. Our site’s picnic table was squeezed in between our neighbor’s water and sewer lines, so it felt kind of cramped to be hanging out in the campground. But it had a pool and clean restrooms, so I’d rate it as “average.”

We toured the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, the SC Aquarium, Fort Sumter, the downtown historic area, Boone Hall Plantation, and spent a day at Folly Beach south of the city. Finding a space to park the 157” wheelbase truck on street parking can be challenging, so we parked in the city garage (on the top floor where there’s more room) near the aquarium when we drove into the city itself.

Ford F-150 Spring break in Charleston SC by way of towing 6500 lb travel trailer 500+ miles with 2022 PowerBoost F-150 0D78B1F7-90AD-4B0B-A866-638974555EF5

Ford F-150 Spring break in Charleston SC by way of towing 6500 lb travel trailer 500+ miles with 2022 PowerBoost F-150 FC6B53A3-B8BF-46F7-8466-C0FB5CB7D831

Unfortunately, my son stepped on a jellyfish while at the beach, so we spent part of Thursday at the local ER after his foot swelled up. After that, we decided to drive the whole 11 hours back all on Friday so that he could avoid an overnight in a walmart parking lot while hobbling around on crutches. We averaged about 8-9mpg going 75-80mph up to Richmond, and then slowed way down north of that (some parts of I-95 were signed for just 35mph), but got 12-13mpg as a result.

When towing, I generally kept the truck in tow/haul mode unless I was in stop & go traffic (when I shifted over to Normal to take advantage of coasting on electric power). Tow/haul mode seemed to get the best gas mileage when pulling a 3-ton wall. I tried locking out gears to keep the turbos from engaging too frequently, but when going 75mph they seemed to engage in every gear, so I ended up enabling all 10 gears for most of the trip. I also found that the automatic lane centering was really fighting the wind gusts, so I turned that off when towing. The cruise control, on the other hand, was really nice to have, especially when the traffic got more congested.

All in all, Charleston is a destination that I would recommend to tour, especially if you can reserve space in the other KOA campground near Charleston (the one closer to the beach).
Sponsored

Last edited:

TJH0007

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat, '11 M3, '01 SpecMiata
cars with oversized "rims" and squatted trucks, welcome to South Carolina. HAHA

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
Dude, I feel for you.

Had to drive 95 a few times to Greenville SC from Boston whenever bad weather shut down 78 or 81. 95is the most miserable road in the world from NY to south of Richmond VA. I really do prefer the relative quiet of 78 and 81. Though 78 in the Lehigh area is pretty insane, as are the never ending (aka nobody ever works on it) roadworks.

RuggedGoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 XLT 157" 302a
Traffic sounds awful, but good job making the most of it. MPG report is reasonable.

"donk" is the technical term for those giant wheel'd cars, and we have some in Michigan too (though the potholes in our roads surely wreck them often). Best done on something RWD with v8 power like the caprice in your pic.

My sister-in-law got married in Charleston a few years ago, we stayed in a big house out on Isle of Palms. Definitely on jelly fish lookout while swimming there. The flocks of pelicans cruising around were awesome.

Sponsored

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
My wife has some ideas of getting a travel trailer.. I don't want to fight it, but I need to go to towing school.. does such a thing exist?

I can barely park this thing in a normal parking lot; I'm afraid of being x feet longer. heh

DcnPat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Jeep Wrangler 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
IT
I learned very quickly 20 years ago when we moved to NOVA - the day before a holiday/school break is not the time to travel unless you leave very early in the morning or really like going 10 mph or less on the highway.

Glad you had a nice trip except for the jellyfish. Charleston is a neat place to visit.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
My wife has some ideas of getting a travel trailer.. I don't want to fight it, but I need to go to towing school.. does such a thing exist?

I can barely park this thing in a normal parking lot; I'm afraid of being x feet longer. heh
There are some Camper Sales lots that have classes to teach you how to tow or drive an RV.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
OP, I feel ya on the KOA, I find a lot of them are that way, mostly parking lots for your RV less of what I consider a campground. But good for traveling or sightseeing.

OP
OP
Aron

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

They do exist, though you can generally figure it out with enough practice.

One thing to know is that the shorter your trailer is, the more difficult it is to back up, so the RV trailers aren't so bad. My kids' scout troop trailer, on the other hand...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aron

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I learned very quickly 20 years ago when we moved to NOVA - the day before a holiday/school break is not the time to travel unless you leave very early in the morning or really like going 10 mph or less on the highway.

Glad you had a nice trip except for the jellyfish. Charleston is a neat place to visit.
Actually, the congested areas were the easiest to tow in--just set the cruise control and let it take over. The high winds were much more challenging. I'll take traffic any day over that.

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Dude, I feel for you.

Had to drive 95 a few times to Greenville SC from Boston whenever bad weather shut down 78 or 81. 95is the most miserable road in the world from NY to south of Richmond VA. I really do prefer the relative quiet of 78 and 81. Though 78 in the Lehigh area is pretty insane, as are the never ending (aka nobody ever works on it) roadworks.
Just drove 78, 222 and 30 this weekend. What a “fun” time.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief

empty parking lot and some orange cones and you and she can master the hard stuff easy and no worries about clipping curbs or trees etc

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their cars.
Last week, we pulled the 6500 lb travel trailer the 500+ miles from Northern Virginia down to Charleston, SC for spring break with the Powerboost.

919389E1-A4B0-4EE1-9D09-635838313178.jpeg

We started out on Friday (3/31) after the kids got out of school, and got a few hours of driving under our belt before stopping for the night at a Cracker Barrel south of Richmond. Apparently everybody is on the road on the Friday before spring break, so we mostly crawled down the highway for those first few hours. I was prepared to plug the trailer into the truck to get power that evening, but we ended up not needing it. On the plus side, we tended to get better towing mileage that night at 12mpg.

We finished the rest of southern Virginia, NC, and SC on Saturday April 1, through some rain and lots of strong wind. There was less traffic south of Richmond, so I could get up to 75 or more once the wind calmed down. Still, between the wind and the faster speeds, I spent that day in the 8-10mpg range. Also, we were amazed at the number of cars and trucks we saw with huge wheels like this:
03212E3E-51E4-4C74-A8E3-3EEBF405A09B.jpeg

That’s not something that we see much of in my area, so I’m guessing that it’s a regional thing.

We stayed the week at the KOA in Ladson, SC. It’s a serviceable enough campground to use as a base of operations for touring the attractions, but I’m not sure that I would recommend it if you’re planning on spending much time in the campground itself. Our site’s picnic table was squeezed in between our neighbor’s water and sewer lines, so it felt kind of cramped to be hanging out in the campground. But it had a pool and clean restrooms, so I’d rate it as “average.”

We toured the USS Yorktown aircraft carrier, the SC Aquarium, Fort Sumter, the downtown historic area, Boone Hall Plantation, and spent a day at Folly Beach south of the city. Finding a space to park the 157” wheelbase truck on street parking can be challenging, so we parked in the city garage (on the top floor where there’s more room) near the aquarium when we drove into the city itself.

0D78B1F7-90AD-4B0B-A866-638974555EF5.jpeg

FC6B53A3-B8BF-46F7-8466-C0FB5CB7D831.jpeg

Unfortunately, my son stepped on a jellyfish while at the beach, so we spent part of Thursday at the local ER after his foot swelled up. After that, we decided to drive the whole 11 hours back all on Friday so that he could avoid an overnight in a walmart parking lot while hobbling around on crutches. We averaged about 8-9mpg going 75-80mph up to Richmond, and then slowed way down north of that (some parts of I-95 were signed for just 35mph), but got 12-13mpg as a result.

When towing, I generally kept the truck in tow/haul mode unless I was in stop & go traffic (when I shifted over to Normal to take advantage of coasting on electric power). Tow/haul mode seemed to get the best gas mileage when pulling a 3-ton wall. I tried locking out gears to keep the turbos from engaging too frequently, but when going 75mph they seemed to engage in every gear, so I ended up enabling all 10 gears for most of the trip. I also found that the automatic lane centering was really fighting the wind gusts, so I turned that off when towing. The cruise control, on the other hand, was really nice to have, especially when the traffic got more congested.

All in all, Charleston is a destination that I would recommend to tour, especially if you can reserve space in the other KOA campground near Charleston (the one closer to the beach).
A jellyfish?? Ouch. Hope your son is feeling better now. Sounds like a fun trip excluding the ER trip.