• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Spare Tire Placement Design

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I've just seen the initial impression on the Rivian and I saw how they embedded the spare into the bed of the truck. Ford is also putting the spare on the rear of the truck, but theirs will be under the bed (which I like and prefer).

I hope this isn't just a stupid question, I'm not an automobile engineer.

With the new Frunk space these vehicles have, why aren't these companies looking at putting the spares up front? Considering that the suspension is the same on all tires wouldn't the additional weight balance in front help with rear payload figures? What is the downside to putting the spare under the Frunk, or making the Frunk a little shallower?
Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Well for one, it sucks having to empty everything out to get to the spare tire.
And second I dont think it would actually fit in the frunk as it is a full size spare which would also have a considerable weight to lift out of there without scratching the front bumper (probably weighs at least 30-40lbs).
I prefer it underneath where you can get to it without worrying about what you are carrying. How convenient would it be to have it in the frunk, but have 400lbs of cement bags that you have to unload to get to it?
From where it is, it appears that they are using space that would otherwise be empty.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Well for one, it sucks having to empty everything out to get to the spare tire.
And second I dont think it would actually fit in the frunk as it is a full size spare which would also have a considerable weight to lift out of there without scratching the front bumper (probably weighs at least 30-40lbs).
I prefer it underneath where you can get to it without worrying about what you are carrying. How convenient would it be to have it in the frunk, but have 400lbs of cement bags that you have to unload to get to it?
From where it is, it appears that they are using space that would otherwise be empty.
That makes sense.

My question really came about when I saw the Rivian was embedding it in the bed, which has all the same hassles you described that could potentially come with the frunk. If someone is going to embed it in the bed, which would seem like a bigger pain to get it out than the front (more people store heavier bulkier stuff in the bed vs the frunk) why not look at the front for weight distribution purposes? Or even have it drop down in the front like Ford currently does with the spare in the rear?

Most consumer vehicles with spares store them in the trunk, which is basically the same as the frunk.

I'm attaching the Rivian placement...

Ford F-150 Lightning Spare Tire Placement Design Rivian-Spare-Tire-Compartment-RT1

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
I agree with @SteffanG - the F-150's spare location is known from the ICE version, is in a location that would otherwise be wasted space, and can be easily accessed even when there is a load in the frunk and the bed. Moving it to the frunk would eliminate all of those benefits and reduce frunk space to boot.

The way Rivian is doing it is a liability, IMHO. The Honda Ridgeline does it that way, too (or it did in the 1st gen version - not sure about the current model). If you're hauling something too heavy to move by hand while on the side of the road, you're completely out of luck.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
That makes sense.

My question really came about when I saw the Rivian was embedding it in the bed, which has all the same hassles you described that could potentially come with the frunk. If someone is going to embed it in the bed, which would seem like a bigger pain to get it out than the front (more people store heavier bulkier stuff in the bed vs the frunk) why not look at the front for weight distribution purposes? Or even have it drop down in the front like Ford currently does with the spare in the rear?

Most consumer vehicles with spares store them in the trunk, which is basically the same as the frunk.

I'm attaching the Rivian placement...

Rivian-Spare-Tire-Compartment-RT1.jpg
Looks like the spare on the Rivian is in the worst possible place... unless you don't plan to carry a spare and get all of the space for other junk instead. Still useless if the truck is loaded.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Looks like the spare on the Rivian is in the worst possible place... unless you don't plan to carry a spare and get all of the space for other junk instead. Still useless if the truck is loaded.
The location on the Rivian was chosen because if you're off-road and there's a big rock or something in the way you may not be able to drop the spare.
Another thing on the placement on the Ford is that they can use all of the same mounting hardware. They already order a million tire hangers a year. Ford is using their scale to their advantage.

corradoborg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner; F-150 Lightning order
Occupation
Corporate Physical Security Manager
The location on the Rivian was chosen because if you're off-road and there's a big rock or something in the way you may not be able to drop the spare.
Another thing on the placement on the Ford is that they can use all of the same mounting hardware. They already order a million tire hangers a year. Ford is using their scale to their advantage.
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of the "rock in the way" angle, but then I'm not an off-roader.

This illustrates the different markets for the vehicles, and how that influenced design. As an "adventure vehicle," the Rivian really is designed more for off-roading than for hauling, despite its impressive figures. The Ford is designed to be more of an "everyman's pickup" just like its ICE counterpart.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
Interesting observation and helps explain why the Wrangler and Bronco mount the spare on the rear...

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
Ironically I had wondered the same thing until I saw the Lightning in person. Looking at the side profile, you will notice that you really don't have the room to put it in the front under the truck. For the reasons already mentioned, I would hate the spare in the frunk. The back has the most room and it is simply out of the way.

Ford F-150 Lightning Spare Tire Placement Design Side Profile.PNG

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Sorry for bumping an old thread here, but as a 77-year-old 1st-time owner of an F-150 Lightning Lariat, I wondered how heavy a 20-inch standard All-Season tire and rim are if I have to change a flat. A tire and rim weigh at least 70 to 80 lbs. So, it's not something that you'll easily lift out of the bottom of a bed. Lowering it to the ground with a mechanical winch and lifting it off the ground to a vertical orientation to roll it over to the rim on which it is to be mounted is the way to go (that way, during the lifting process, most of the tire's weight is resting on the ground).

What really stinks about the spare tire location is that Ford removed the spare tire lock as a standard option on the 2023 Lariats and Platinums. Great to sell a $100K vehicle with an expensive tire and wheel rim for the easy taking unless you buy a now-optional lock! :mad: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/spare-tire-lock.14170/post-317679

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
At 77, join AAA. Save your back for better activities. That’s my philosophy.
If you're still physically capable at 77. Why not? There's been times I've waited over 4 hours for a tow truck. Recently when I got a flat, it took me maybe 15 minutes to change it at most.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Didn't realize it was a 2 year old thread as I was reading the posts, but if it's already been bumped...🤔

One of the good parts of having the spare tire mounted in the bed or in the frunk would be to prevent the hardware from rusting together preventing you from lowering everything to the ground; granted, that doesn't seem like it would happen with us 1st-owners but it's often a common issue on the rust belt trucks of even just a few years old.

You also don't usually find this out until it's too late, unless you have a routine of lowering the wheel and lubing up the mechanism.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Didn't realize it was a 2 year old thread as I was reading the posts, but if it's already been bumped...🤔

One of the good parts of having the spare tire mounted in the bed or in the frunk would be to prevent the hardware from rusting together preventing you from lowering everything to the ground; granted, that doesn't seem like it would happen with us 1st-owners but it's often a common issue on the rust belt trucks of even just a few years old.

You also don't usually find this out until it's too late, unless you have a routine of lowering the wheel and lubing up the mechanism.
Since we’re veering off-topic on a necro-post anyway…

Back in the “good old days” before fancy wheels, the spare was included in the tire rotation scheme. The hardware got exercised (and lubed, if needed) at least yearly for most people. I can remember doing that back in the 70s and 80s.
Sponsored