Sponsored

Sound material into driveshaft

81MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4runner
On my way to the lake, I heard a loud speed related thumping. Think baseball card against a bike wheel spokes but deeper sound.
It would start at 5mph, slightly louder off throttle.
I climbed underneath and found the sound deadening material came loose and contacted the driveshaft.
I was able to push it back up and I’ll have my dealer look at it soon.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft 3AF6D53D-FBCC-4F49-B542-240F5F060903

Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft 30940C95-E797-45DB-8389-C96B244F0654

after I pushed it back up.
You can see the corner is rubbed off.
Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
Mine was loose also. When I looked under my truck for rust I noticed it was all loose. I installed new aluminum duct tape where I could reach.

OP
OP

81MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 4runner
Mine was loose also. When I looked under my truck for rust I noticed it was all loose. I installed new aluminum duct tape where I could reach.
The sound was so horrible, I was happy to find an easy fix.
I can’t believe we need to “mod” our new expensive trucks with duct tape!

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
My "Stick On" heat shield was loose too... I noticed it shortly after delivery, and added additional adhesive, and it has been solid ever since. It never contacted the drive shaft, however.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
When I picked mine up from the dealer I also had a panel that was not secured, however mine was over the 90 degree bend in the exhaust so it wasn't nearly as dramatic as yours.

Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft PXL_20210330_212758072

Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft PXL_20210325_205742939

Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft PXL_20210330_212811490

Dealer just stuck it back up and it's been secure ever since. Every once in a while when I'm down looking to see how my crop of rust is doing I'll check to make sure it's still there and hasn't caught on fire yet.

Sponsored

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
I’ve had the exact same two pieces come loose on my king ranch Power boost.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I don't think that sound deadening material as much as it is heat shielding material. Either way, it obviously shouldn't be touching the drive shaft of your truck!

TBondu

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost XLT
Hah, just had this exact same issue. I was really worried something was wrong with the drivetrain! Guess I need to remember Occam's Razor...

I had rubber roller I used to really push it back down (up?) onto the body. Hopefully it will stay stuck from now on.

ryanryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I just had the noise problem but mostly when driving in reverse. The dealer fixed it today.

jmsanchez85

First Name
John Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Sales
Looks like most of us are experiencing the same thing… I’ve been worried about this for a while and good to know it’s an easy fix back with the Dealer but man, what a disappointment on a new 80k hybrid truck. Love my KR PB but these undercarriage issues are just uncalled for at this price point.

Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
50, 60 70, 90 thousands of dollars and free rust and now parts falling off. What is next? Maybe taking a year or two to get your new ordered truck?

Stang66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I had the extract some issue. Started making noise about a week ago. Found this thread and looked at mine and have the same thing. The heat shield is hanging down on the drive shaft, right above the U join.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
I have been hearing this strange sound for awhile now, and finally took it to my local dealer. My words exactly, were, "It's a fluttering sound - like when we used to put playing cards into the spokes on a bicycle." For awhile, I thought it might be an exhaust leak. It seemed to reach peak resonance between 30 and 35 miles per hour, and would change frequency with engine RPM. Then one day I was coasting in electric mode with the engine off, and I still heard the same sound, so clearly it was not a classic exhaust leak. The Ford tech agreed to take a short ride with me to listen to it. I told him my daughter could actually feel it with her feet, in the back seat, so he rode back there. He pulled up the floor mat in the back seat area, felt with his hands, and said he could feel the vibration there. So, I made an appointment for them to identify the problem further and fix it.

Then I stumbled across this thread and immediately thought, "That's it!" I climbed under the truck and sure enough, one of the insulation panels had fallen down.

In the following pic, the panel on the left has fallen free from the bottom of the truck frame, and was touching the exhaust pipe.
Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft IMG_0989

Pushed back up into place, it looks like the following photo. Notice that the vertical line between the left and right panel is now aligned at the same level. I could feel a thin line of tacky glue running along that line, but it had given way, allowing the left panel to drop down.
Ford F-150 Sound material into driveshaft IMG_0988

It has stayed in place long enough for me to verify that the mystery sound is no longer there, but I don't trust it to stay put for long, so I will still keep my appointment. Besides, lying on my back under the truck I could not tell if there were any other issues, so they can check it out more thoroughly when it is up on a lift.

For that matter, they should now have plenty of time to also check out the movable air dam, but that's an entirely different thread.

This forum has been a WONDERFUL source of information, especially for a new model truck like this.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator