First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Fordauthority.com says it is a KR Explorer and they show a picture of the external.
Ford F-150 "Something Big coming to the Ranch" [on Feb. 24] Ford Announcement 2021-Ford-Explorer-King-Ranch-Spy-Shots-January-2021-Exterior-001
n⁸
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Explorer makes total sense. I had originally ordered a Platinum in September and last week in October I asked my dealer to switch me to King Ranch and sent him the build. He said he got a notice that KR is delayed until Spring. I was like WHAT?!?! and then he went on vacation a week. That's when I went to a 2nd dealer to start the process for a KR, and is how I ended up with 2 identical King Ranch orders (when the guy got back he was like "my bad" and switched for me). Long story short I am still truckless, but I remember this Explorer King Ranch notice very vividly.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...slap a coyote in it..
Exactly, if they really want to sell more Explorers, they’ll bring back the V-8.

Yes, I know that the turbo 6 makes more power but I know a few people that have the Grand Cherokee just because.

Same for if a new full-size Bronco ever materializes.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Exactly, if they really want to sell more Explorers, they’ll bring back the V-8.

Yes, I know that the turbo 6 makes more power but I know a few people that have the Grand Cherokee just because.

Same for if a new full-size Bronco ever materializes.
That's why Mopar steals so many customers from other brands, they throw a V8 into anything and some people (myself included) love the rumble of a good old tried and true American V8 no matter what platform its in. If ford stuffed a coyote into the bronco, explorer, even next gen ranger, they would win back a lot of people that went to other brands for their v8 fix.

Sponsored

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Jumping the shark is an idiom used to describe the moment of a misguided attempt at generating new publicity for something once, but no longer, widely popular; the attempt serves instead to highlight the irrelevance of what it intends to promote; most commonly used in reference to unsuccessful gimmicks for promoting something.

While I don't agree that the King Ranch or Explorer are no-longer popular (as per definition), in my mind, the F-Series and Expedition King Ranch vehicles hold true to the ruggedness of the actual King Ranch and look/function in a way that make you believe that they could be in-service as actual King Ranch staff vehicles. The KR Explorer is just a gimmick to increase sales and doesn't reflect the rugged nature and capability of a King Ranch vehicle.

Colin.Drury

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat - 66 Mustang 289
Occupation
Recreation Industry
Definitely the Explorer KR

blind56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2.7EB, 2016 WRX
Wow, I know we usually joke about automakers "gluing an iPad to the dash", but I think that's the most literal implementation of that I've seen yet.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Yep, seen it a lot when searching. It's a KR version for the Ford Explorer.
Sponsored