Sponsored

SOLVED: For the life of me, I cannot program my HomeLink to open my garage door.

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Have a newer Genie (3 years old) garage door opener, a newer remote. I tried everything, mulitple times. With the remote and from the opener itself. Just, won't, work.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I have side mount openers and had issues using the opener panel but was able to get using the remote. I did have to do the sequence twice in a row not sure if I found that in the owners manual or a search online but it worked

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Have a newer Genie (3 years old) garage door opener, a newer remote. I tried everything, mulitple times. With the remote and from the opener itself. Just, won't, work.

Any suggestions?
I always use the motor programming version. I never have luck using the remote. First, I always clear all the codes, even if new; as it couldn’t hurt.

Put motor into learning mode, then hold the button you want for two seconds…release for about 1-2 seconds…then hold again for two seconds and release…then maybe a third time if your door doesn’t move.

If it doesn’t work, do it all over again. I had one truck that I was having trouble with and I flipped the visor down and it worked (no idea why, maybe interference).

Reactions: sbi
OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I always use the motor programming version. I never have luck using the remote. First, I always clear all the codes, even if new; as it couldn’t hurt.

Put motor into learning mode, then hold the button you want for two seconds…release for about 1-2 seconds…then hold again for two seconds and release…then maybe a third time if your door doesn’t move.

If it doesn’t work, do it all over again. I had one truck that I was having trouble with and I flipped the visor down and it worked (no idea why, maybe interference).

I did that, several times, with remote and through motor itself. Didn't flip the visor down, though. Maybe I'll pull the truck forward tomorrow (it is backed into the garage door now) and flip the visor ?. It's just one of thouse things you imagine would work by the book, 2 seconds to do, and all it does is gives you hard time. Super annoying.

vtron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I had some trouble with mine until I found a video that told me I had to hold down the button on my remote for 5 or 10 seconds (can't remember exactly, but the Homelink LED will tell you when it works). It worked first try when I did that. All the other videos said I just had to press the button, which did nothing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had some trouble with mine until I found a video that told me I had to hold down the button on my remote for 5 or 10 seconds (can't remember exactly, but the Homelink LED will tell you when it works). It worked first try when I did that. All the other videos said I just had to press the button, which did nothing.
I did that too, it has something to do with fixed frequencies vs rolling frequencies....still didn't work.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I haven’t been able to get mine to work. It’s an older Chamberlain (maybe 90s/2000s) and I eventually just gave up and have the remote in the center console. Our Honda with Homelink was no problem to program.

• Sad
Reactions: sbi

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Older Craftsman with battery backup.........Twice called.......Still does not work!

nearly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Mine gave me hell too and at the time I thought I was just an idiot so I don't remember what I ended up doing to get it to work...

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
LOL, I think we all agree that the F150 is the most annoying to program. My wife's car took 3 seconds.

Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
My wife's 21 explorerST programmed 1st time from the button on the opener, on my 2018 Truck I ended up having to hold the remote right next to the visor buttons to get it to take.

Ritchie457

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Any suggestions?
I just installed a new Liftmaster opener and had to reprogram both vehicles (2021 F150 and 2021 Prius). I made sure that I removed the old code from the vehicles BEFORE I reprogrammed the Homelink system (followed the recommended procedure in the vehicle manuals). Both vehicles were reprogrammed on the first try.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I used the button closest to driver side. I cleared the remote first by holding the outer two buttons until the LED flashes. Then hold the opener a few inches away from the homelink and press the opener button and the homelink button at the same time until you get a rapid flash from the LED.

If the opener doenst work after that step then you go to the opener and press the programming button and then press the homelink button you just programmed until the garage opener flashes the lights indicating the remote programmed.

Im not indicating anyone doesnt know this I am just trying to state the process I went through.

If you do not get the rapid flash from the led of the homelink it did not program.

OP
OP

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally made the mental step and call Homelink support.
First of all, you have to listen to the stupid recorded instructions and after each step you need to hit #1 to continue. There are two scenarios where you can be transferred to speak with a live human being: one is during the programming when it tells you "it should work and if it doesn't you may need an additional adapter for your opener" and you are given the option to press 8 to be directed to a technician to order your adapter....
The 2nd option is after you go through the process and it asks you if their instructions were clear and you were able to program the opener. If you press 2 (for NO, it did NOT help) you are being transferred to an agent. Yippee....very frustrating.

Long story short - when programming through the opener itself (not with the remote), you need to press the Homelink button on the visor for 2 seconds and you need to repeat it several times. The instructions does not mention hold it for 2 seconds and says to repeat 3 times, but it might require more presses, probably to capture different codes.

Hopefully this helps anyone who hasn't been successful programming it until now.

cougarXR7

First Name
cougar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Occupation
racer
Has anyone had an issue with programming their Homelink? I have had nothing but headaches programming my garage door opener, garage door replacement Virginia Beach VA my son's door, and my daughter's door. I have followed the instructions in the manual but my daughter's garage door will not program. Any thoughts, comments.
Sponsored

Last edited: