Sponsored

Solutions for weight sag in rear?

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT 5.0 SCREW 157"wb FX4
Howdy, friends. I'm looking for some suspension advice. Specifically, I want to regain some height in the rear.
(I know, I know... It sucks getting old! šŸ¤£).

I've put a pop-up camper on and added so much weight to my rig that I've lost about 3 inches in the rear (from ~41" down to ~38"). I've dropped less than an inch in the front (from ~37.5" down to ~37").

This is going to be my norm, so I want to boost that rear height back up again.

My truck only has one main full-length spring with a shorter spring underneath. I was a little surprised by this, as I got the "Trailer Tow Packge." Guess I expected a little more "oomf" down there for a truck with a payload > 1900 lbs:

Ford F-150 Solutions for weight sag in rear? 20220929_182109

I should add that, in addition to a rear sag solution, I'm considering upgrading to the Bilstein 6112/5160 shocks.

What would you recommend? Add-a-leaf? Whole new spring pack? Something else?

Thanks!

** 2022 XLT 5.0, FX4, SCREW w/ 6.5' bed **
Sponsored

Last edited:

jflottawa

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Director, Software Development
Howdy, friends. I'm looking for some suspension advice. Specifically, I want to regain some height in the rear.

I've put a pop-up camper on and added so much weight to my rig that I've lost about 3 inches in the rear (from ~41" down to ~38"). I've dropped less than an inch in the front (from ~37.5" down to ~37").

My truck only has one main full-length spring with a shorter spring underneath. I was a little surprised by this, as I got the "Trailer Tow Packge." Guess I expected a little more "oomf" down there for a truck with a payload > 1900 lbs:

20220929_182109.jpg

I should add that, in addition to a rear sag solution, I'm considering upgrading to the Bilstein 6112/5160 shocks.

Thanks!

I would consider airbags. Had 1-ton trucks with them in the past and it was amazing. I wouldnā€™t be able to recommend brands or anything. This is going back to ~2008

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
Iā€™ve been looking at the road active suspension springs to add to my truck eventually for loads sagging.
From the videos Iā€™ve seen, the 1mm spacing seems useless so it has to be the 2mm. Plus super easy install.

PlnWhtF150

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL 4x4
I installed the Timbren active Bumpstops and like them. i tow a light pop-up, and it's almost overkill for that since tongue weight is maybe 300lb, but when i carry a couple dirt bikes and gear in the bed it helps a lot. They ride a little harsh when unloaded, but i found that airbags on my last truck did the same even with minimal PSI. Sounds like you are usually loaded down though, so you may not encounter the harsher unloaded part. They also make an extreme duty timbren rear bumpstop if you carry heavy often, but i went with the normal version as it fit my needs. Easy install and i prefer over airbags after having both, but i know others prefer airbags. I also have the 5160's in the back and like them, but that of course won't impact your sag (may control the ride better though). I am hoping to go to 6112 in the front soon.
these are the ones i have: https://timbren.com/i-30497676-timb...ar=2021||make=FORD||model=F-150||submodel=4WD

here are severe service: https://timbren.com/i-30497720-timb...em-sku-frtt1504e-rear-severe-service-kit.html

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I had air bags on my last truck and I installed Timbren on my current truck. Both do the job but I like the Timbren system better than the airbags. With Timbren there are no maintenance requirements and they have no effect on an unloaded truck. Put too much air in airbags with an unloaded truck your ride could be harsh or downright squirrelly.

Sponsored

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
AirLift Kit 88355
I have the same truck as you, a bit overkill, but Iā€™ll never use it to its full potential. Took me about 4 hours total, no lift on garage floor. Going to ad an on break air compressor soon, Iā€™m happy so far.

Reactions: J-C

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB

20220929_182109.jpg

Thanks!

Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ras-w-scales-smart-hitch.7587/page-2#post-238862

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
I have the roadmaster active suspension on my 2020 and with my topper and other accessories it added 3/4" minimally engaged. I understand it would do more, maybe 1.25 fully engaged. This isn't a linear scale as the more weight you put in the truck, the less sag you'd get as it's adding progressive spring pressure. I also have the standard, not the HD.

My new truck isn't going to have a topper or all the extra weight so I removed it and listed it for sale on a local facebook marketplace. If you're in MN, I would take 300. You may want the HD if you ALWAYS have over 500+ back there.

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired

20220929_182109.jpg

Thanks!

does it sag without camper hooked up? If no,you may want to invest in a weight distribution trailer hitch. They work great towing a camper of trailer with a load. A decent mid priced weight distribution hith can be bought for $450-$650

OP
OP
J-C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
does it sag without camper hooked up? If no,you may want to invest in a weight distribution trailer hitch. They work great towing a camper of trailer with a load. A decent mid priced weight distribution hith can be bought for $450-$650
Thanks for that. I'm not going to be towing anything. I'm just wanting to recover at least some of the 3" the rear has dropped after I loaded everything up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
J-C

J-C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I notice no one has yet commented about Add-A-Leaf options. Are those sorts of things not helpful in my situation? If not, what is their proper application?

Rockman5159

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ford f150 FX4
Occupation
retired
I notice no one has yet commented about Add-A-Leaf options. Are those sorts of things not helpful in my situation? If not, what is their proper application?
you could maybe go throught Ford and get heavy duty payload package springs if you dont have that. Another option would be a thicker spacer between leaf springs and rear axle but then when you're empty youll be a ll jacked up in the rear. Have you checked with auto parts to see if they still offer Air Shocks?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!

Several respondents seem to be overlooking the fact that the load causing your 3" rear / 1" front 'sag' is now your constant condition; it's not occasional as with 'when towing' or an occasional load in the bed.

A few questions .....
  1. You mention having >1900# payload rating; what is the actual occupants+cargo load you have with your 'new norm' setup? IOW, how much of your rated payload are you now using with your 'new norm'?
  2. What are your objections to the 'new norm sag' (don't like the appearance of the truck stance; are you now hitting the bump-stops frequently; or ...?)
  3. You mention wanting to change shocks, presumably to increase damping control; other than damping, are you happy with the current spring-rate / general 'ride' of the truck?
Sponsored