First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I don't drive my truck much and I've found that this truck really loves to use the battery when it's sitting still (my '17 would run low, but not like this!).

I installed a NOCO charger under the hood, but I don't normally park near a power source. I park across the street an undeveloped piece of land because we only have a single car driveway.

Is anyone aware of any Solar solutions I could install? I don't mind putting up panels when I park it, but something to keep it topped off while it sits there (even something that site in the windshield).

I'm in FL so I definitely should get enough sun :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Thanks, @Davexxxxi. I'll have to look around. I don't think a port is live all the time, but I could add one.

One issue I've found right now is that my 2amp trickle charger won't charge the truck (at least insanely slow). It looks like the truck is still drawing 6amps even with the charger connected. Could be after the 75minjtes for it to sleep it draws less, but I don't know if there is a way for me to verify that (as I have to connect to the truck to see it's draw, unless there is a way I can do it with a multimeter).

I'll keep looking though.

GrandpaD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Platinum PB 4x4 6.5 Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
This would likely be overkill for your purposes, but I’d love to see how one of these paired with with a Powerboost would perform.

https://uncrate.com/terravis-solar-truck-tonneau-cover/

Imho, you seem more than capable of making some 100w solar setup that you could plug in a flexible/foldable panel that lives on the dash when it’s parked, then stores behind the backseat when you’re mobile.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
If you can find something that'd eat say a 25-50w solar panel's voltage and regulate it to 13.5v, I think you'll find that to be a very happy truck you'd have on your hands.

With 13.5v you'll have enough power to get your battery around 90% SOC and hold it there in perpetuity w/ out over charging. If it's low it will charge, but that voltage level itself should keep it ~90% give or take and never have power problems. I've documented power draw of the truck in my LFP thread. What the numbers show is that it doesn't take but about 10ah to leave the battery before you're getting sync sleeping, etc....
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ce-of-7ah-aux-batt-power-draw-analysis.16674/

OP
OP
FrankThompson

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Well the truck did finally charge over night from 64% to 84% but opening the doors doesn't turn on the screens (like it's in deep sleep mode). My charger also is supposed to change to green pulsing when it's over 75%, but it hasn't done that. I wonder if this is because I believe the truck tries to charge to 80% so maybe it's only really at 84% of the batteries 80%? That or the charger can't read the actual charge level? Not sure at this point.

I saw the deep sleep mode issue yesterday but the truck only reported 0% until I pulled the fuse from the charger and plugged it back in.

If you can find something that'd eat say a 25-50w solar panel's voltage and regulate it to 13.5v, I think you'll find that to be a very happy truck you'd have on your hands.

With 13.5v you'll have enough power to get your battery around 90% SOC and hold it there in perpetuity w/ out over charging. If it's low it will charge, but that voltage level itself should keep it ~90% give or take and never have power problems. I've documented power draw of the truck in my LFP thread. What the numbers show is that it doesn't take but about 10ah to leave the battery before you're getting sync sleeping, etc....
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...ce-of-7ah-aux-batt-power-draw-analysis.16674/
I really like this option. I'm guessing you aren't aware of any available plug and play(ish) solutions for this are you?

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
I don't drive my truck much and I've found that this truck really loves to use the battery when it's sitting still (my '17 would run low, but not like this!).

I installed a NOCO charger under the hood, but I don't normally park near a power source. I park across the street an undeveloped piece of land because we only have a single car driveway.

Is anyone aware of any Solar solutions I could install? I don't mind putting up panels when I park it, but something to keep it topped off while it sits there (even something that site in the windshield).

I'm in FL so I definitely should get enough sun :)
Hey Frank, hood solar installed and being evaluated https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...owerboost-bap-tremor-hood-installation.22951/
Sponsored