Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Screw 5.0,4x4,302Asport,
You would still have the tailgate camera, right?
Definitely. Thats very important when lining up the tow ball.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Definitely. Thats very important when lining up the tow ball.
Yes. I’ve found pressing the camera button turns on the rear-facing tailgate camera, essentially just like a rear view mirror! (very useful when the bed + topper were filled).

when it’s empty, visibility is better than I thought. A little waviness because the windows are clear vinyl,and slightly constricted but not bad.

Obviously the 3rd brake light is blocked and bed-camera and lights are blocked. The inner- bed lights of course still work.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I was harsh when I said blow up. Because it is pretty neat but just over my budget
After you clued me into this concept, I started looking into it a bit at lunchtime. Looks like they’re constructed in a similar fashion to inflatable SUPs, so a bit stronger than a typical air mattress. Looks like they’re strong enough to carry a couple of kayaks, so it’s more rigid than I would have guessed:

It’s still like double the cost of a SoftTopper, though, so maybe not worth the extra cost. I’ll have to think about that. It is nice that it folds down to a small bag when not in use, since my storage space is at a premium.

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
After you clued me into this concept, I started looking into it a bit at lunchtime. Looks like they’re constructed in a similar fashion to inflatable SUPs, so a bit stronger than a typical air mattress. Looks like they’re strong enough to carry a couple of kayaks, so it’s more rigid than I would have guessed:

It’s still like double the cost of a SoftTopper, though, so maybe not worth the extra cost. I’ll have to think about that. It is nice that it folds down to a small bag when not in use, since my storage space is at a premium.
Exactly my thoughts. For that price I’d rather do the soft topper too. Heck 2k is leer/are territory for their basic toppers.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have a decked system for work in mine, with the tonneau still on it from when i bought the truck, which doesnt leave much space for anything but golf clubs. I have been doing alot of reading about these soft tops. Do you have any photos yet of it stowed? Are the rails similar to bed covers that just clamp?

Thanks!
Here’s one. It’s stormy these last few days so been keeping it up…and kinda cold, so hard to re-button the sides! I drove like this with the bike on the tailgate pad, no issues.
Ford F-150 Softopper  soft canopy topper installed 3D7DE4FD-F4AC-485D-9B10-77BBFEE9F37C

Yes, the rails just clamp on, smooshing the rubber seal between the rail and the truck. 8ft beds get 3 clamps, others get 2. The rail still bows out because the topper is a bit springy when it’s engaged in the pin, pushing the middle of the rail out. Seems to all still work. Folding it up takes like a minute, unfolding takes longer but hopefully faster over time and when warmer.

Sponsored

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly my thoughts. For that price I’d rather do the soft topper too. Heck 2k is leer/are territory for their basic toppers.
Price alone makes the softopper a winner versus the Flated. The latter is just the kind of thing that if Harbor Freight sold it would be less than half the price they are asking for it

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Price alone makes the softopper a winner versus the Flated. The latter is just the kind of thing that if Harbor Freight sold it would be less than half the price they are asking for it
One thing I liked about it: looks like you could strap things to the top. Softopper doesn’t support any weight up top. Also looks a LITTLE easier/faster to install.

fwunder

First Name
fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A Sport 7.2Kw
Occupation
retired
It looks like it would fit under a rack system like Adarac. Nice.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Here are some pictures of the clamps and how the rear window rod slides/snaps into place. It’s not the easiest method but seems to work fine.
Ford F-150 Softopper  soft canopy topper installed A4D26CF2-5332-4C86-958A-21409E0C90C4
Ford F-150 Softopper  soft canopy topper installed 6D3380D1-1092-4E5E-BAFB-0BC99CF97394
Ford F-150 Softopper  soft canopy topper installed F2E8E775-E098-43FF-970B-1314A774967E

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
So is that fabric 100% waterproof ? I go camping alot and dont want a permanent topper.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So is that fabric 100% waterproof ? I go camping alot and dont want a permanent topper.
Yes. An earlier post recommended sealing the seams which I’ve yet to do. But so far we’ve had lots of light rain and it’s working well.

Henfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I noticed over the weekend that its worth checking the tightness of the brackets holding tonneau covers....Two of the six had gotten loose over the 15 month of ownership.

GEM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
I have one from my 2013 XLT, and am hoping it fits the 2023. Just have not tried it yet. Its main use is to keep the bicycles under cover while towing our travel trailer. When not pulling the trailer I usually use a tonneau cover, and can make the swap in about an hour. It keeps stuff dry, but its not air tight and dusty roads can leave a coat of dust especially at the tail gate. (the road to Chaco Canyon)

In the '13 I was able to use the bed grooves to hold a 2x10 with fork mounts. Missing those in the '23 but some aluminum channel seems to work.

The SoftTopper has been durable, but I don't use it winter here in Northern Ohio.

OP
OP
GregBC

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have one from my 2013 XLT, and am hoping it fits the 2023. Just have not tried it yet. Its main use is to keep the bicycles under cover while towing our travel trailer. When not pulling the trailer I usually use a tonneau cover, and can make the swap in about an hour. It keeps stuff dry, but its not air tight and dusty roads can leave a coat of dust especially at the tail gate. (the road to Chaco Canyon)

In the '13 I was able to use the bed grooves to hold a 2x10 with fork mounts. Missing those in the '23 but some aluminum channel seems to work.

The SoftTopper has been durable, but I don't use it winter here in Northern Ohio.
Nice! How did you lay down the alum channel? We may need something similar. I had initially thought I’d just put bikes into the trailer but depending on what we get/rent, might not be possible.
We have 4 mtn bikes so I imagine it’ll be tough but I can probably squeeze them in if I have to do it.
For now, im finding it quite useful for bringing large volumes of stuff to a horse show, haha!
Ford F-150 Softopper  soft canopy topper installed 82B6E67C-428F-4EEC-AE3F-1803D748DF76

Not clearly visible: wheelbarrow. And when the weather gets hotter, I like that the back and sides can roll up so we can put an inflatable mattress in the back and lounge midday.
Once the horse show is done, I’ll be trying to install the Adarac and see how I can get both to be on together. The rack will be for SUP and kayaks.

HeadBanger

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 5.0
Those portable caps are really nice! Certainly would protect cargo from prying eyes.
Sponsored