caseyelite1

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 4x4 3.5 V6 Ecoboost
Hello,

First off sorry if this is in the wrong forum section. New to this.

I have a 2021 XLT 3.5 with a 7 pin in the rear for trailers.
I tow a 5,500lb camper trailer.

Today while driving home with my camper trailer, I would get a soft sounding "bing" but no warning message or other displayed messages that I could find.

It happened maybe a dozen times, I thought maybe it had to do with sway or bumps in the road... might be related might not. It had no distinguishable time between the sound.

I am at a loss for what this sound clearly coming from the dash / speakers was. It was as if to be a warning or message indicator, but I saw nothing.

Any help or explanation would be great, thank you.
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Do you have a dash camera?
My camera bings when I hit a bump in the road. It’s a bit too sensitive.

if so, perhaps the trailer is jerking the truck just enough to activate an incident in the camera

OP
OP
caseyelite1

caseyelite1

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you have a dash camera?
My camera bings when I hit a bump in the road. It’s a bit too sensitive.

if so, perhaps the trailer is jerking the truck just enough to activate an incident in the camera
Forgive my ignorance, all I have is a rear camera that is displayed on the 12 inch screen in the dash from factory.

OP
OP
caseyelite1

caseyelite1

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you have the Ford Navigation? That warns you of school zones and railroad crossings and possibly other things.
I do; however, this is the absolute first time it or my android auto nav would have made a noise like that if that is the culprit. I did have google maps navigation through my android auto active at the time.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Forgive my ignorance, all I have is a rear camera that is displayed on the 12 inch screen in the dash from factory.
Last December, some bozo cut left in front of two stopped left urn lanes right in front of me well after my light turned green.
Since all left turning cars had stopped, I focused on the right turn people coming from the side. I started moving forward as everything was clear, and right in the middle of my 1-2 shift I slammed to a stop. Once my bearings were collected, I noticed a Chrysler 200 coasting about 100 yards off to my right and he is going into oncoming traffic.
Totaled my old Chevy, but one of the guys in the stopped left turn lane stayed until cops came and placed all blame on the other car.

with that, I had my dealer install front and rear dash cams before I even sat in the new truck. The camera system records “incidents”.
virtually any bump the truck gets, the camera bings.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I do; however, this is the absolute first time it or my android auto nav would have made a noise like that if that is the culprit. I did have google maps navigation through my android auto active at the time.
I use Android Auto/Google Maps + Ford's Sync4 Nav at the same time. The Ford Nav system continues to warn me (there is an option to turn it off the warning). I also like the bread crumbs.

its possible that and OTA update reset/set these options for you.

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
If you use the Ford navigation with the trailer tow routing feature, it bings when you are approaching something like an overhang. Took me awhile to figure that out.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
If you use the Ford navigation with the trailer tow routing feature, it bings when you are approaching something like an overhang. Took me awhile to figure that out.
Is there a way to turn off the bing noise? It's blooooody annoying

Sponsored

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Since when did they add trailer routing? That's a tremendous improvement over my 2016 w/ Nav.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
i don’t know. But this is one of the main reasons I use the Ford navigation.
Does nav allow avoiding tunnels? If you're not avoiding them, I assume it takes tunnel height into consideration, like it typically does with bridges. Does trailer setup now include dimensions and whether or not you're carrying propane? It would be elegant for Nav to inherit that information, and for it to change automatically depending on which trailer is connected. (I only have one trailer, but it would a great design.)

Steyreo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Lariat SuperCrew PowerBoost Sport Fx4
Does nav allow avoiding tunnels? If you're not avoiding them, I assume it takes tunnel height into consideration, like it typically does with bridges. Does trailer setup now include dimensions and whether or not you're carrying propane? It would be elegant for Nav to inherit that information, and for it to change automatically depending on which trailer is connected. (I only have one trailer, but it would a great design.)
I don’t know about avoiding tunnels altogether—didn’t know that was a thing. But it supposedly avoids overpasses and tight corner I think. I haven’t had a problem but then our trailer is pretty conventionally sized.
Page 655 of the owners’ manual:

——————-
TRAILER TOWING NAVIGATION
When you have an active subscription and Trailer Towing Navigation is switched on, the system will calculate the best route for trailer towing by avoiding dangerous road conditions based on the dimensions of your trailer.
Switching Trailer Towing Navigation On and Off
1. Press the Navigation button on the feature bar.
2. Press the Menu button.
3. Press Trailer Routing.
4. Switch Trailer-optimized Routing on or off.
Entering Trailer Dimensions
1. Press the Navigation button on the
feature bar.
2. Press the Menu button.
3. Press Trailer Routing.
4. Press Towing Menu.
5. Press Add Trailer.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to enter the type and dimensions of the trailer into the system.
Navigation Alerts
Alerts will appear on the navigation map while driving. An orange alert triangle indicates you should proceed with caution. When not following active guidance to a destination, a red alert triangle may appear and indicates you should avoid the road and find a detour.
——————————-
it should recalculate when you switch trailers in Sync4.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Avoiding tunnels is an option in my stand-alone Rand-McNally RVND. I assume the other major vendors do the same. It may be in routing options, like "avoid highways", rather than in the RV routing setup, per se. In addition to avoiding tight turns and low clearance, they probably also consider the grade. Whether or not there's a specific cutoff, I don't know.

I have a subscription to TripWizard which includes a phone app that has RV routing. In correspondence with their tech support, I gather that their data provider tags some road sections to be avoided by trucks and RVs. Most of that probably follows an algorithm (grade, turn acuity, whatever) but I got the distinct impression some are tagged by manual override.
Sponsored