Sponsored

So what IS the latest/current Sync4 version?

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I already have this dongle for Forscan, but does it work with FDRS too? Or do I need a different dongle/connector?

5-11-2022 1-06-56 PM.jpg
This will not work with FDRS. You need J2534 pass-through capable device such as the Mongoose-Plus cable or Fords OEM VCMII/VCM3
Sponsored

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
Quick question while my truck is at the dealer's supposedly received a slew of module updates. The new FordPass widget for android shows the following info for my truck:
Ford F-150 So what IS the latest/current Sync4 version? Screenshot_20220511-175427_One UI Home

Ford F-150 So what IS the latest/current Sync4 version? Screenshot_20220511-180125_Mach-E Info

My truck was at the Port Wilmington Ford Ramp in DE awaiting transport to Chapman Ford of Horsham PA on Apr 4 at 10:15. Is is really possible it received an OTA update while at the railyard?

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I was in a similar boat. I took my truck to my dealer for the BlueCruise update. They assured me they could do it. Left it there all day, they called me at 3:35pm. Said they have been trying ALL DAY to get the update to go but it keeps failing. My dash cam tells the true story. 10 minutes after I dropped my truck off they parked my truck in the back lot and it sat untouched until 3:30, they moved it in for the trailer brake recall, at 3:35 they call me. So they flat out lied to me. It was then I realized I had to do it myself. Here is a video I made to show the process. I started at version 244. Now I have BlueCruise and cameras while driving, etc.

Update Ford F-150 Software Using FDRS - Enable BlueCruise!
Thanks man! I haven't watched your vid yet (still in the office), but I'm very interested in checking it out as I do think that a DIY solution may be my only option at this point. I've been following a bunch of the FDRS tutorial threads, but have put off any attempts at doing it myself. Aside from the obvious fact that I shouldn't HAVE to, I've avoided it for two reasons:
  1. I'm really not eager to shell out the cash for the adapter & license
  2. I'm a geek, but no means am I a mechanic... I have serious concerns about causing some damage that I won't be able to correct.
I've seen first-hand how little support Ford offers for fixing THEIR mistake, so I'm absolutely certain I'd be on my own if I ended up bricking my truck trying to install the software myself!

As for your dealer concerns, I don't want to send the thread in that direction, but I've had very similar experiences. One very similar to yours, in which they had my truck for three days, but didn't look at it until after noon on the third day. Less than an hour after they first touched my truck I received a video from the tech explaining that they "concluded" all my sync issues were due to the fact that I had a wireless charging pad plugged into the front USB port. Grrrrrr.

I've also been told by the same service department that they had replaced my APIM and on another visit, that "all updates were installed". Both statements are false - my truck was still running the Sync version I bought it with, and the APIM replacement was not on any of the invoices (also later confirmed to be OEM by its serial number).

I also find it interesting that almost all of my service invoices indicate that they provided Lyft services for pickup/dropoff. The service is offered, but was not provided... I'd be curious to know if they're simply padding the numbers they're sending to Ford since it's all "warranty work".

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
It was then I realized I had to do it myself. Here is a video I made to show the process. I started at version 244. Now I have BlueCruise and cameras while driving, etc.

Update Ford F-150 Software Using FDRS - Enable BlueCruise!
Okay, so I finally watched your video. I'd seen others posted, but again, not really being prepared to attempt the installs myself, I hadn't really dove into any tutorials. Yours was great, very clear and detailed, but did leave me with a few thoughts and couple questions:

* My first impression is that any temptation I had to try this was immediately dashed by the price tag. I have seen the mongoose for a bit cheaper (perhaps pre-owned), but with the charger and software license, it's still more than I'd be willing to part with. I'd be much more willing to pony up for some aftermarket upgrade, but $500-ish to obtain something I've already paid for and should already have just doesn't fly with me.

* Another forum user was gracious enough to send me screenshots of my truck's status and available updates. After seeing your video, I'm all but certain that the screenshots they sent were from the same FDRS software. If I'm correct, I'd like to know if there is any way for me to at least access my truck's history and status by purchasing a license. Even without the ability to install, having the ability to know what my dealer is seeing (and what they have or have not done) would be huge.

* Your tutorial relieved a lot of my anxiety regarding bricking the truck, however it also left me with one burning question: why are so many dealerships apparently unable to complete what appears to be a really straightforward procedure?!? I'm so naive to think that every install will execute without issue like yours did, but what could possibly be making this so difficult to obtain for so many job1 owners? If it were just me & my local dealer, I'd have no trouble believing they just didn't want to put in the time & effort, but I've seen so many reports of people trying (and failing) to have their dealerships install that there HAS to be something more to it than your example(?)

Reactions: sbi

JDinNFLA

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Star White 3.5 EB
Thanks man! I haven't watched your vid yet (still in the office), but I'm very interested in checking it out as I do think that a DIY solution may be my only option at this point. I've been following a bunch of the FDRS tutorial threads, but have put off any attempts at doing it myself. Aside from the obvious fact that I shouldn't HAVE to, I've avoided it for two reasons:
  1. I'm really not eager to shell out the cash for the adapter & license
  2. I'm a geek, but no means am I a mechanic... I have serious concerns about causing some damage that I won't be able to correct.
I've seen first-hand how little support Ford offers for fixing THEIR mistake, so I'm absolutely certain I'd be on my own if I ended up bricking my truck trying to install the software myself!

As for your dealer concerns, I don't want to send the thread in that direction, but I've had very similar experiences. One very similar to yours, in which they had my truck for three days, but didn't look at it until after noon on the third day. Less than an hour after they first touched my truck I received a video from the tech explaining that they "concluded" all my sync issues were due to the fact that I had a wireless charging pad plugged into the front USB port. Grrrrrr.

I've also been told by the same service department that they had replaced my APIM and on another visit, that "all updates were installed". Both statements are false - my truck was still running the Sync version I bought it with, and the APIM replacement was not on any of the invoices (also later confirmed to be OEM by its serial number).

I also find it interesting that almost all of my service invoices indicate that they provided Lyft services for pickup/dropoff. The service is offered, but was not provided... I'd be curious to know if they're simply padding the numbers they're sending to Ford since it's all "warranty work".
Call Ford customer service and turn them in. Sounds like warranty fraud. Ford won’t be happy.

Sponsored

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have a 22 King Ranch as indicated in my signature. Just took delivery on Apr 15th. On the way home to FL from Chapman Ford of Horsham PA, I experienced a Trailer Brake Malfunction warning and alarm, but it cleared after a reststop and has not returned.

Now I have a Reverse Brake Assist Not Available warning and alarm.
IMG-20220424-WA0000.jpg

Went dealer on Thu the 28th and they told me truck is safe to drive, but I'm throwing all kinds of electrical codes and they will need to update many modules over three to four days. Here is my SYNC version info. Sorry for my reflection.
20220428_114156.jpg

Does dealer diagnosis sound reasonable? My wife is concerned they might mess something up. Truck seems okay except for rear brake warning. Hands-free works perfect. Also, why does the screenshot show my Hands-free expiring on Oct 10, 2022? What will happen the next day. I saw the same thing on someone else's screenshot in this thread.
@RalpL

The rear brake assist would be resolved with a 360 camera alignment. It is straightforward. Takes about 30 mins. Has to be followed exactly how its laid out. Looking at the DTCs shown the alignment is what is needed. You also need to have the IPMA reprogrammed. Meaning they Need to run a PMI on it. The IPMA U3000 code has a SSM in regard to it. Explaining that it needs to be reprogrammed. THe alignment though is a must.

As far as the trailer brake pop up. I have seen others with the issue. It does seem to go away after an ignition cycle and not come back or stay away for a while. It will be corrected with software.

I read but I do not see where you mentioned the dealer suggestion for the fix or what their diag was. If I missed Im sorry.

You dont need to stress this is NOT a major issue. It is not something I would want to deal with in a Brand new truck but it should be easily resolved. If I were there I could fix this very quickly. We just have to seee what the Dealer says. They are not always that great in handling issues like these.

1651350900976.png

1651351043746.png
Apologizing in advance for the length of this post - figured the details could be helpful to others experiencing similar issues with updates.

Following up on the quoted posts, I took my 2022 KR with trailer tow pkg and tow mirrors into the dealer last Mon the 9th for the Reserve Brake Assist Not Available warning. After failing all week to install "massive module updates" I was informed this morning a module needed to be replaced and fortunately it was in stock and under warranty because it costs about $5K.

They installed the module today - it's the one controlling the remote sensors, cameras, and as the service advisor described in technical terms, "a bunch of stuff." They're still having downloading issues and are blaming it on Ford's servers not being able to handle all the dealer download requests. I could tell they were having issues - I received 10 fault notices through FordPass. Nine of them were labeled "Blind Spot Detection With Cross Traffic" and the details on the first one were "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the body control module" and I should "Have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer."

The second one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the instrument panel cluster control module."

The third one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the restraints control module."

The fourth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the anti-lock brake system control module."

The fifth one says "The side obstacle detection control module has a configuration problem."

The sixth one says "The side obstacle detection control module has received invalid data from the transmission control module."

The seventh one says "The side obstacle detection control module has received invalid data from engine control module/powertrain control module"

The eighth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the transmission control module."

The nineth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the engine control module/powertrain control module."

The 10th warning on FordPass is "Pre-Collision Assist is not Available" and the details are "The Collision Warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor."

Whew - guess the service advisor was right that "a bunch of other stuff" is affected! And to think things were working relatively well before I took it in for the Rear Brake Assist Not Available..

I was hoping to retrieve the truck today, but no joy.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Apologizing in advance for the length of this post - figured the details could be helpful to others experiencing similar issues with updates.

Following up on the quoted posts, I took my 2022 KR with trailer tow pkg and tow mirrors into the dealer last Mon the 9th for the Reserve Brake Assist Not Available warning. After failing all week to install "massive module updates" I was informed this morning a module needed to be replaced and fortunately it was in stock and under warranty because it costs about $5K.

They installed the module today - it's the one controlling the remote sensors, cameras, and as the service advisor described in technical terms, "a bunch of stuff." They're still having downloading issues and are blaming it on Ford's servers not being able to handle all the dealer download requests. I could tell they were having issues - I received 10 fault notices through FordPass. Nine of them were labeled "Blind Spot Detection With Cross Traffic" and the details on the first one were "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the body control module" and I should "Have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer."

The second one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the instrument panel cluster control module."

The third one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the restraints control module."

The fourth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the anti-lock brake system control module."

The fifth one says "The side obstacle detection control module has a configuration problem."

The sixth one says "The side obstacle detection control module has received invalid data from the transmission control module."

The seventh one says "The side obstacle detection control module has received invalid data from engine control module/powertrain control module"

The eighth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the transmission control module."

The nineth one says "The side obstacle detection control module found a communication problem with the engine control module/powertrain control module."

The 10th warning on FordPass is "Pre-Collision Assist is not Available" and the details are "The Collision Warning system has detected either a system fault or an obstructed radar sensor."

Whew - guess the service advisor was right that "a bunch of other stuff" is affected! And to think things were working relatively well before I took it in for the Rear Brake Assist Not Available..

I was hoping to retrieve the truck today, but no joy.
I hope @Jesse-Infotainment looks at the log and sees what they actually did.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I hope @Jesse-Infotainment looks at the log and sees what they actually did.
I will, If they replaced the IPMA what a useless and stupid thing to do. All they needed to do was a proper 360 cam alignment and proper Lane keep camera alignment. That was all. Nothing else. The fact they decided to replace the IPMA just makes me wonder how these dealers get their approval to be an actual Ford Service center. Pathetic. I have seen so many scenarios that dealers make it worse not better.

They think throwing a part at it is going to fix it. Now they not only need to do the calibrations.. they also need to program and do all of the calibrations. Pure stupidity.

EDIT

They havent done anything. Nothing. They have pulled the workshop manual to look at how to remove the ipma but they havent done any programming. They did a lin bus initialization(Pointless) on the 13th. So IF they have replaced the IPMA which I am betting they did they havent done the PMI and calibrations. That is why you have so many warning coming through. Man. Its freaking pathetic. Dealers need to be held accountable for the inability.

Last edited:

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I will, If they replaced the IPMA what a useless and stupid thing to do. All they needed to do was a proper 360 cam alignment and proper Lane keep camera alignment. That was all. Nothing else. The fact they decided to replace the IPMA just makes me wonder how these dealers get their approval to be an actual Ford Service center. Pathetic. I have seen so many scenarios that dealers make it worse not better.

They think throwing a part at it is going to fix it. Now they not only need to do the calibrations.. they also need to program and do all of the calibrations. Pure stupidity.

EDIT

They havent done anything. Nothing. They have pulled the workshop manual to look at how to remove the ipma but they havent done any programming. They did a lin bus initialization(Pointless) on the 13th. So IF they have replaced the IPMA which I am betting they did they havent done the PMI and calibrations. That is why you have so many warning coming through. Man. Its freaking pathetic. Dealers need to be held accountable for the inability.
Thanks for the info and insights. They said they replaced a module this morning - Can you see that? Or can it only be determined by the updates being installed and the programming accomplished?

Any recommendations what I should do? I doubt I can take the vehicle with the module not being programmed. I feel I should let them finish what they are working on and go to a different dealer if I have any issues after getting the vehicle back. It's so much easier to work on my restored 1939 Chevy!

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I have the strange urge to drive up and let Jesse-Infotainmemt hook up to my truck
and make it perfect!

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks for the info and insights. They said they replaced a module this morning - Can you see that? Or can it only be determined by the updates being installed and the programming accomplished?

Any recommendations what I should do? I doubt I can take the vehicle with the module not being programmed. I feel I should let them finish what they are working on and go to a different dealer if I have any issues after getting the vehicle back. It's so much easier to work on my restored 1939 Chevy!
I have no recommendations, the dealer wont follow them. The IPMA was fine it didnt need to be replaced. They are too stupid to understand.

THe new IPMA needs to be programmed and they are too stupid to understand. They think a Linbus initialization will do that. THey are hopeless.

Ford

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have the strange urge to drive up and let Jesse-Infotainmemt hook up to my truck
and make it perfect!
You are more than welcome.. what issue do you have? If there is anything I can do it through teamviewer also

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Manually checked the Ford "Update Ford SYNC..." website just now and got this too. Jumped in the truck that is connected to home wifi and checked for an OTA update but it says my truck is up-to-date. 2021 XLT 302A, Job 2 truck. @Jesse-Infotainment or anyone verify whether there's an FDRS or OTA update pending? Thanks!

5-11-2022 12-49-32 PM.jpg
Thanks for clueing me in to this existing.. I just checked and mine shows the same except my sync version is listed as 21281.. '21 Job 1 XLT so i'll be checking once I get home on wifi.

Paul Neubauer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
You are more than welcome.. what issue do you have? If there is anything I can do it through teamviewer also
I have had a few random problems after updating all the modules. The Bluecruise randomly shuts down and then resumes, CarPlay shows it is playing but there is no sound at times, the bed camera sometimes just comes up as a blue screen and there was a trouble code that I forgot to take a picture of but it had something to do with memory if I remember right. I was going to buy another license and dig a little deeper but this stuff is a little confusing when I don't know what all the stuff for each module means. I ran the window initialization which fixed one of my problems but don't want to randomly select things to run blindly.

Scoop

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SuperCrew Platinum 5.0 4x4 6.5'
I will, If they replaced the IPMA what a useless and stupid thing to do. All they needed to do was a proper 360 cam alignment and proper Lane keep camera alignment. That was all. Nothing else.
My dealer performed the sensor and cam realignment process. Twice. That didn't help. The IPMA kept failing on the firmware update. Replacing it (per Ford Engineering direction) got us past those failures (an onto others).

The fact they decided to replace the IPMA just makes me wonder how these dealers get their approval to be an actual Ford Service center. Pathetic. I have seen so many scenarios that dealers make it worse not better.
My dealership (they) didn't decide to replace the IPMA on their own. They were directed by Ford Engineering to do so. Twice. Also took THREE different APIMs to get THAT to accept programming. There was a bad batch of APIMs as well as a bad batch of Ethernet/USB programming cables as well as SEVERAL instances when the servers for FDRS were hosed for programming a number of modules, including but not limited to the IPMA and APIM. All confirmed by Ford Engineering, not (just) my dealership.

I've got 14 *pages* of FDRS history on my truck as they attempted to 'unstick' my greyed-out 'Automatic updates' slider, re-enabling lane centering (which had gotten fracked sometime during my 2 month and 4 day service visit) and to get my Job 1 truck completely updated to Sync 2.8.3 (22095_PRODUCT Revision: 421).

After the first week or so of attempting to address my Job 1 truck, my dealership did nothing that Ford Engineering did not explicitly tell them to do/try.

Not the case in all situations.
Sponsored