Sponsored

So THIS is why you all get aftermarket wheels (damage from washing)

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
Thanks for the advice, I will look into that polish!
The pvd wheels are clear coated you should treat them just like your clear coated paint. No metal polishes! So you are trying to fix the damage just like if you drug a brass brush across your hood. I would start with Mequiars “mirror glaze” No. 7 lightly with a micro fiber towel then follow that with a carnuba wax. All 4 wheels should be hand waxed and cleaned with gentle solution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
The pvd wheels are clear coated you should treat them just like your clear coated paint. No metal polishes! So you are trying to fix the damage just like if you drug a brass brush across your hood. I would start with Mequiars “mirror glaze” No. 7 lightly with a micro fiber towel then follow that with a carnuba wax. All 4 wheels should be hand waxed and cleaned with gentle solution.
ohhh shoot youre right. Damn... man I wish Id new a brush would fudge them up lol I would have cleaned them like I clean the paint if I had known.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
ohhh shoot youre right. Damn... man I wish Id new a brush would fudge them up lol I would have cleaned them like I clean the paint if I had known.
Ford has a nice video on caring for those wheels. My King Ranch will have them (when it gets here!). But your damage does not look all that bad and mirror glaze is amazing. Make sure the wheel is clean before you remove the scratches in the clear coat. Everyone should have a bottle of mirror glaze handy it fixes almost everything paint related! And if you do everything by hand it is safe. Follow with high quality non cleaner wax. Good luck!

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Don't ever use a nylon brush on a painted surface, whether it's a wheel or the body of the truck. And if you care about this sort of thing, never take it to *any* automatic carwash, whether they say they are touchless or not.

I hand wash only (myself) and use Griot's regular (not HD) wheel cleaner, which is approved by BBS and others, on my truck wheels, as well as the expensive Forgelines on my Vette. I also use either a dedicated microfiber mitt or a soft lambswool wheel detailing mitt for the wheels. Never had a problem.

To fix what you have, the gentlest option would be 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, applied with a good microfiber. Since that is unlikely to remove those scratches, the next thing I'd try is Griot's Boss defect remover. It's gentle but still does the job. It will take you some time, but those scratches should come out.

Correction: it’s called Griot’s Boss Correcting Cream, not defect remover.

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
EPA rules have resulted in less durable chrome and ultimately this PVD stuff.

Be careful out there, your new truck isn’t going to be as durable as your old ones :/

Sponsored

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Don't ever use a nylon brush on a painted surface, whether it's a wheel or the body of the truck. And if you care about this sort of thing, never take it to *any* automatic carwash, whether they say they are touchless or not.

I hand wash only (myself) and use Griot's regular (not HD) wheel cleaner, which is approved by BBS and others, on my truck wheels, as well as the expensive Forgelines on my Vette. I also use either a dedicated microfiber mitt or a soft lambswool wheel detailing mitt for the wheels. Never had a problem.

To fix what you have, the gentlest option would be 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, applied with a good microfiber. Since that is unlikely to remove those scratches, the next thing I'd try is Griot's Boss defect remover. It's gentle but still does the job. It will take you some time, but those scratches should come out.
Thanks for the tips! I was going to take it to an auto body and have them fixed, or worse case scenario just live through it, but with all the tips you guys have given me I feel confident trying my hand at this!

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Do not use wheel cleaners on pvd chrome. Go to Detroit Wheel and Tire website for cleaning instructions. They do pvd plating.
Ford F-150 So THIS is why you all get aftermarket wheels (damage from washing) 20201123_121249~2

These were done by them. I clean them with Windex.

Here's the link https://www.detroitwheelandtire.com/pvd-cleaning/

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Yours may not be clear coated, like the Ford ones. If they are clear coated, you shouldn’t use Windex.
I live within 10 miles of Detroit Wheel and Tire. I know those guys there. They use it on the wheels they photograph. And yes they clearcoat all the wheels they plate.

I used glass cleaner on my 2016 F150 King Ranch the entire time of ownership. They looked factory new when I got rid of it.

350SD14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
350 SD 4x4 2014
Occupation
retiered
Thanks for the advice, I will look into that polish!
The PVD is really plastic if you ck closely you will see its like a second part of the rim you could brake off that outer chrome cover & see its just a steel rim behind it. That's like the wheels in the chrome pkg. If you don't get the real polished aluminum wheels that's what you get & will scratch real easy. If you polish them be carful & use soft rages & a plastic polish

Sponsored

DirtFreak

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F250
Occupation
Retired ( paper maker )
Get yourself some wheel whoolies to clean your wheels.

Ford F-150 So THIS is why you all get aftermarket wheels (damage from washing) unnamed

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Get yourself some wheel whoolies to clean your wheels.

unnamed.jpg
I ordered some for the future... to avoid further damage lol
Sponsored