First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Powerboost, 2008 F150
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
Is anyone else disappointed that you can't actually 'custom' order the perfect truck?

These packages they have set up are ok but some of the discrepancies are a little frustrating.

For example, the color match bumper and grille option. It's only available on the sport package and the sport package is only available with the center console, for some annoying reason.

I have 4 kids so I need the six seater and I don't really like chrome but, to my complete dismay, I have to have chrome to have 6 seats. Pretty lame.

Also, I'm not a fan of the 'chrome like wheels either. I had them on a 14 f150 and they were immediately damaged by gravel and then they started to bubble. The dealer wouldn't fix or replace them as they determined it was external damage. It looked gross.

So, why not order the machined aluminum rims, right? I can't order them without removing other options that I wanted.

You want Trim colored running boards? Nope, need the sport package.

Don't get me wrong though, I am super excited to get my truck, eventually, but when you're shelling out $75000 for a custom order, I'd expect to get exactly what I want, not what the brain trust at ford decides what I can have.

Just my two cents.
Sponsored

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Is anyone else disappointed that you can't actually 'custom' order the perfect truck?

These packages they have set up are ok but some of the discrepancies are a little frustrating.

For example, the color match bumper and grille option. It's only available on the sport package and the sport package is only available with the center console, for some annoying reason.

I have 4 kids so I need the six seater and I don't really like chrome but, to my complete dismay, I have to have chrome to have 6 seats. Pretty lame.

Also, I'm not a fan of the 'chrome like wheels either. I had them on a 14 f150 and they were immediately damaged by gravel and then they started to bubble. The dealer wouldn't fix or replace them as they determined it was external damage. It looked gross.

So, why not order the machined aluminum rims, right? I can't order them without removing other options that I wanted.

You want Trim colored running boards? Nope, need the sport package.

Don't get me wrong though, I am super excited to get my truck, eventually, but when you're shelling out $75000 for a custom order, I'd expect to get exactly what I want, not what the brain trust at ford decides what I can have.

Just my two cents.
Agree, and Ford does it better than the others. I built a tone of trucks on line while trying to decide what brand to go with, and Ford definitely provides the most flexibility. It was frustrating picking a trim and the "remove" a certain option you wanted pops up.

OP
OP
Tharnett78

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
Yeah,

I'm curious what the reason for this is? What does painted bumpers have to do with the seating or why you can't order a specific rim package?

Maybe the aluminum rims aren't as strong as the chrome like and can't handle the added tow or payload capacity?

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I originally really wanted antimatter blue on the sport package. Was pretty disappointed certain colours weren’t available with certain packages.

Then I was especially confused/irate when they offered it on the Tremor about a year later.

OP
OP
Tharnett78

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
I originally ordered the AMB with the carbonized grey but I changed it to Atlas Blue instead, a day after Ford took my order. Still waiting to hear if they can change it.

The AMB is nice but a little too black for my taste, but if I can't change it I'll still be happy. My last 2 trucks have been graphite metallic (Chev and GMC) so they were pretty dark anyway.

The two toned Atlas will be pretty similar to my previous 2014 f150.

I'm hoping to be in the 8/8 build date.

Sponsored

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
The really odd part is at times, you have a automatic removal of a option come up because of a package, but then you can go back in later and add it back?

I would inquire with your ordering dealer. I think they may be able to add some stuff back in or make changes for you after you build the truck and send them the build sheet.

I think the reason it’s limited to a certain way is how long it would take to build if you have all options available, plus how much of it could get screwed up the same way. That’s why it’s xl, xlt, limited, lariet, king ranch and just not “f150”. If you could do it any way you would have people ordering with one tow mirror on one side and a reg mirror on the other lol.

I do agree that once you get to the price point of almost needed a 30 year mortgage to make payments bearable, you should be able to get exactly what you want. But it is a “plant” and not clay fords garage lol.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
While some of the limitations are practical and others are for expedience. Most of the reasons certain features are unavailable is because of Ford paywalling them to force retail customers into higher trims/configurations/packages.

I couldn’t get LED headlights on my $50K MSRP truck because it’s a regular cab. So now I need to take my front end apart if I want to see at night.

The upfitter auxiliary switches are only available on the Tremor. Same with the torsen front differential but only if you pony up for the higher package and the Tremor is only available in the crew cab shortbed configuration.

The base XL is only available with 17” steel wheels. You need the XL High for the 17” alloy wheels.

I could go on but much of it is just using the features that people are expected to want like a carrot on a stick to pay more money for options that they may not have gotten otherwise.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech
I wish I could have gotten 4Auto on my xlt but ford only thinks that’s belongs on Lariats and up. I can see that for creature comforts but drivetrain options for certain trims is annoying.

OP
OP
Tharnett78

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
I was always warned that the 4 auto was hard on the truck and to just use 4 Hi when necessary.

I drive on some shitty gravel roads and these Alberta winters are tough.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I originally really wanted antimatter blue on the sport package. Was pretty disappointed certain colours weren’t available with certain packages.

Then I was especially confused/irate when they offered it on the Tremor about a year later.
This was like me when I couldn't get a sport in Stone grey but that color was offered on the Tremor... But, you couldn't get a Tremor with Max Tow, Tow mirrors or 6'5" box....

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was always warned that the 4 auto was hard on the truck and to just use 4 Hi when necessary.

Hi other Edmonton Todd,
Yes, I wanted 4 Auto for the winters here too. Based on the early literature, Tremors were supposed to come standard with it. So I held out till they were released. Only to find out you need a 'Lariat' level Tremor to get 4 auto. Ended up just sticking with an XLT. Had one for 6 years prior and 4 hi worked for winters. Just figured 4 auto would be nice. (Had it on a few GM SUV's)

OP
OP
Tharnett78

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
I've never had any problems with 4 Auto on my 01 ZR2 blazer but working in the patch I've heard some stories about it.

Reactions: 780

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT sport CCSB 5.0
Occupation
Auto Body Tech

For icy and snowy roads 4A is a godsend. It can go from bare to ice covered around my area within a city block and having to not switch back and forth constantly is so nice.

OP
OP
Tharnett78

Tharnett78

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gas Plant Operator
Set it and forget it, lol.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've never had any problems with 4 Auto on my 01 ZR2 blazer but working in the patch I've heard some stories about it.
I had 4 auto in a '99 Grand Cherokee, '99 Tahoe, '00 Suburban, '03 Explorer, '08 Sierra, '09 Suburban. Never had an issue either. I quite enjoyed the feature and wish Ford would offer it in the XLT in order to be comparable to the mid level offerings from Ram and GM since you get 4 auto on BigHorns and LS / SLE's.
Sponsored