Sponsored

So much chrome!

DDD123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Was hoping some of you could help me figure out a path to a modded F-150 that gets rid of all the fake chrome Ford is using. I’m in between getting a 2021 and modding it or buying a GMC Denali that already has lift kit and other features from a local dealer that’s a new demo for only $70k (2000 miles buy never titled).

I’m struggling with Ford because if you choose King, Platinum, or Limited you can’t change exterior to get rid of the God awful chrome. KR forces you to go two tone paint, Platinum you simply can’t can’t change, and Limited forces you to gray and blue seats. If you go down to Lariat you lose the nicer interior and power running boards. It confuses me why they set the packages up this way and why you can’t get a sport package on higher trims.

Anyone else share my thoughts here and got any ideas? I hate buying a new truck and having to immediately rip everything off just to not have it so chrome but may not have an option.
Sponsored

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 xlt/fx4/sport 2004 Ranger edge SC
Occupation
retired
LOL, mine '20 is an XLT Sport. I actually think it looks better and is just as comfortable as the top three trims. Too much gaudy crap and interior colors above a Lariat.
Some guys buy XL's and add mods to upgrade. No reason someone can't take any of the other trims and do the same replacing as taste dictates. Part of the reasoning to make it yours.

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Was hoping some of you could help me figure out a path to a modded F-150 that gets rid of all the fake chrome Ford is using. I’m in between getting a 2021 and modding it or buying a GMC Denali that already has lift kit and other features from a local dealer that’s a new demo for only $70k (2000 miles buy never titled).

I’m struggling with Ford because if you choose King, Platinum, or Limited you can’t change exterior to get rid of the God awful chrome. KR forces you to go two tone paint, Platinum you simply can’t can’t change, and Limited forces you to gray and blue seats. If you go down to Lariat you lose the nicer interior and power running boards. It confuses me why they set the packages up this way and why you can’t get a sport package on higher trims.

Anyone else share my thoughts here and got any ideas? I hate buying a new truck and having to immediately rip everything off just to not have it so chrome but may not have an option.
You can get power running boards on a lariat with the 502a

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired

I ordered a chrome Lariat and I'm waiting to see how it looks. I think it will be fine but if I find it has too much chrome, I will try spraying the running boards and g towing mirror caps first and if that goes well then maybe the bumpers with some PlastiDip. It looks like an amazing product and if you don't like it then with some work it can be peeled off. Relative cheap experiment anyways. Here is a thread on how someone did the rims. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/factory-wheels-blackout-diy-using-plastidip.1387/

Last edited:

Sponsored

N1TJ

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat EB 4x4 - Oxford White
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller • USAF Veteran
They definitely do corner you into a few canned looks and I absolutely think they'd sell more of the higher trims if they offered non-chrome sport packages for them. In general their options don't allow for much leeway.

I ordered a Velocity Blue Lariat with the Sport Appearance Package to avoid any and all chrome but they would not budge at all on retaining the all black interior without the brown/red contrast leather. Hopefully they can find a way to accommodate more specific orders in the future!

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Hopefully they can find a way to accommodate more specific orders in the future!
I bought a car that was special ordered for the original owner.
This car fascinated me when it was new and the guy brought it home (Friends with his youngest kid)
10 years later, Im still very impressed with this car and he offered to sell it to me.
Jumped on that thing faster than my dog gets hold of a dropped chicken nugget.
I was a big MOPAR guy well into my 30s and beyond.
First car was a 70 Sport Fury GT 440-6
And still this other car gets my attention

1967 Chrysler 300
440 TNT
4spd.
Disc Brakes
3.23 Limited Slip
Heavy duty suspension-----7 leafs on the rear, 1-1/4" Torsion bars
Bucket seats

Radio--Deleted
Undercoating--Deleted
Heater--Deleted
All Insulation---Deleted

This car probably weighed about 100lb more than a Road Runner---But it was just as fun.
in the 10 yrs I owned it---Stolen 3 times---The third time, they were specifically after the 300 specific body and interior parts---all I got back was a skeleton.

That is a specific order

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
I ordered a Platty and also hate the chrome. I plan to have my wheels powder coated black and either have the front grill painted black or get an after market grill. Wish they gave you some black options like Ram.

OP
OP

DDD123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Whew, glad you guys agree, thought I was walking into the lion's den and was going to get ripped. I tried putting together a Lariat sport and after adding everything it was more expensive than the damn limited I spec'd which is just insane. I like the brown/black platinum interior.

Anyone have a rough idea if I took it to a shop what it would cost to get all the chrome trim blacked out? I essentially would like it to look more like a Tuscany Black Ops package. I would also like to get a 4-6" lift, I assume installed this is going to run me around 9k for good suspension and lift? Then I'll need to get new tires.

I guess I will be waiting until 2/3 to at least see what the new Raptor looks like, maybe that could be an option.

What I am really struggling with and I am hoping you guys can give me some unbiased feedback here, I have a GMC Sierra local that is a dealer demo with 2k miles that the GM has been driving, they said I could get into it for 70k, never been titled, already has 4play wheels, big tires, 6" lift, and it is a Denali spec with all the options. Damn good price considering I'll be in the Platinum probably for $90-95 by the time I put new wheels on it if I did. I know the F-150 has better tech, it is brand new and that is obvious. This has an i6 Duramax diesel with Allison transmission and it rode well, more like a Lariat or XLT level interior of course. I do really like the pro trailer assist on the F-150 as well since I will have a boat, though it will be dry docked so maybe I won't use it often but I am a n00b when it comes to backing a trailer. The GMC does have that pretty slick camera system for the trailers though which is really helpful. What would you guys do here knowing you got something that already looks pretty damn good? Here are some pictures. (I know what you're going to say haha, this has chrome, but I think it is presented so much differently on this one, not sure why).

Ford F-150 So much chrome! IMG-3428

Ford F-150 So much chrome! IMG-3429

Ford F-150 So much chrome! IMG-3430

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
The platinum doesn’t have alot of chrome. You plan on aftermarket wheels, so you only need mirror caps and door handles, (door trim and running board chrome can be blacked out). You can paint the grill and tailgate cover, they are silver but not really chrome. I plan on waiting for the tremor cause I like the exhaust, tires, no maroon on the inside.

If I was looking at a gmc, I’d get a loaded AT4 vs Denali for the less chrome look.

Sponsored

Tims94

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Chick-fil-A
You can also get a car wrap place to wrap your chrome. I was looking at a Denali and that was what I was planning on doing.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L

Lariat sport. There are only a couple of things you can’t get, lay flat massaging seats and wireless charging. That’s pretty much it.

johnday

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 f150 xlt/fx4/sport 2004 Ranger edge SC
Occupation
retired
OP
OP

DDD123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Guys, does the FX4 package retain the ride quality or would you say there is a tradeoff on getting this package? I do plan on raising the truck up 4-6" so will it even matter?

What about the differential, what would be best? I will occasionally pull a boat but gas mileage is also important.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
FX4 package is a joke. You could wait a few months to check out the F-150 Tremor with high package(402).
Sponsored