So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install

Mtrask

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Bought an XLT with stock (non B&O) stereo. Visited my local shop for an upgrade. ;) One 10" sub in small box under the rear seat. Component driver and tweeter in the front and two-ways in the rear. Using one 1500W 5 channel amp. Highly recommend the upgrade! Unbelievable difference: clean, loud with a quite a bit of thump.

Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install mounted
Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install sub box
Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install component
Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install am
Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install sub
Ford F-150 So I did a thing...aftermarket speaker + sub install frontfull
Sponsored

Wakevictim

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 3.5L eb
Occupation
Military
I’m curious to know how the shop wired from the head unit to the 5 channel amp to power the speakers. Also curious to know how they wired to the door speakers. Was there a dsp installed?

OP
OP
Mtrask

Mtrask

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
No DSP was used. I believe just line out. I can ask for more details. My installer was quite sure a DSP wasn't needed and I believe he was right. It sounds very clear and crisp at low and high volume. I paid $3000 parts, install, box build, tax and I was in a hurry so they got me in quick.

Wakevictim

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 3.5L eb
Occupation
Military
No DSP was used. I believe just line out. I can ask for more details. My installer was quite sure a DSP wasn't needed and I believe he was right. It sounds very clear and crisp at low and high volume. I paid $3000 parts, install, box build, tax and I was in a hurry so they got me in quick.
I’m glad it worked out for you. I have a 5 channel amp that’s only running the sub right now since I’m not sure the best way to go from the head unit to the amp with out using a dsp and from the amp to the doors. I have focal flax series components in the front and rear which are running off the head unit. Sounds great for the time being unit I live somewhere not as remote as Alaska and has legit installers. Also installed dynamat on all of the doors which helps a lot.

Sponsored

dpencersatz

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Screw XLT 3.5
Occupation
Millwright
How deep is that box? Trying to figure out how much space I will have without my truck…Should be here in august.

OP
OP
Mtrask

Mtrask

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
12" Deep 5.75" High and 18" across

Scoof

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Truck Driver
Been thinking about doing the exact same stuff. This non B&O stereo system is garbage.

Last edited:

NOFEAR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, Toyotas, Jeeps, Land Rovers
Been thinking about doing the exact same stuff. This non B&O stereo system is garbage.
Don't kid yourself, the B&O lacks any kind of bass. Mids and highs are okay. Essentially, it's what a stock stereo should sound like but nothing more. I've heard it's easier to upgrade the base 7-speaker system because the B&O center speaker and subwoofer (if you want to call it that) interfere somehow with upgrades. I'm much too old to install my own stereo stuff now so it might be easier than I've heard... I'm less of an audiophile and more of an everything else so it'll be my next upgrade after 35's, regear, locker, a deck boat, four college degrees, and everything my wife tells me to buy first!!!

succeed23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
What would you guys consider fair price for a custom fabrication box, ported, and fits 2 10" subs? +/- 300?

Sponsored

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
What would you guys consider fair price for a custom fabrication box, ported, and fits 2 10" subs? +/- 300?
300-500? Checks MTI prices, I bought a custom ported single sub box. Want to say it was 350-400 but there’s other options for sure.

succeed23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
300-500? Checks MTI prices, I bought a custom ported single sub box. Want to say it was 350-400 but there’s other options for sure.
What brand did you end up going with? The company I got my quote from said they don't install Kicker; they basically think it's trash.

succeed23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
JL 12 inch sub and box from MTI
Do me a favor and post a pic of your setup when you can. I'm wondering if you can still reach the little compartment under the seat even with the box there. I also see that MTI doesn't account for the weather mats, and I need my weather mats.

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Do me a favor and post a pic of your setup when you can. I'm wondering if you can still reach the little compartment under the seat even with the box there. I also see that MTI doesn't account for the weather mats, and I need my weather mats.
I haven’t put back in my new truck but it fit fine with my full mat in the back. Definitely a tight fit but nothing to be concerned with. As far as compartment im sure you can but you might need to slide sub to the left a little and not leave it flush with that seat.
Sponsored