• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So... How about them gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
Great question - and it depends. Based on my power usage stats for "normal" use I could do about 3 days or so, but I also have a rack of big servers in the shop, so it would not be reasonable to keep things like that running, and I do shut them down during power outages.

However, I also have. a smart-home that I built with https://www.home-assistant.io/

Since the Fordpass App can fully integrate with Home Assistant, I can trigger a smart home automation to shut off all devices I don't need so that the charge lasts longer:

https://github.com/itchannel/fordpass-ha

So, out of the box, 3 days. With the automation I plan on running to ensure that the least power is used when the truck switches to powering the house, I will probably be able to hit 10 days with ease.
I figured it was a reasonable amount of time since its highlighted in the commercials, never would have guessed more than a day
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I figured it was a reasonable amount of time since its highlighted in the commercials, never would have guessed more than a day
Yeah, when you see how much a vehicle can back power a house for, you realize how much energy you really use while driving.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Comparable ICE vehicles have a lower MSRP.
Lightning Pro is cheaper than a comparably equipped, similar-hp, gas F-150 XL.

A Powerboost (same hp as Lightning, plus then you can get ProOnboard), Supercrew, 4x4, F-150 XL with the same options as a base Lightning Pro is a few thousand more expensive (MSRP) than the $39,974 Lightning Pro, even before the tax credit.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Lightning Pro is cheaper than a comparably equipped, similar-hp, gas F-150 XL.

A Powerboost (same hp as Lightning, plus then you can get ProOnboard), Supercrew, 4x4, F-150 XL with the same options as a base Lightning Pro is a few thousand more expensive (MSRP) than the $39,974 Lightning Pro, even before the tax credit.
Then you move up to an xlt and there is a $10,000 swing in difference.

ICE XLT MSRP = $44,890
EV XLT MSRP = $54,669

Lariat is almost $14,000 Difference

Platinum $31,000 Difference

But like others have pointed out buy the cheapest stripped down EV you can get I guess.

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2022/msrp/

https://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150-lightning/

UNIKRN150

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
My house is supplied by 100% "renewable energy".

We average about 4-8 days a year with NO power so an “EV” may or may not get me to work everyday.

My PG&E bill averages about $500.00 a month INCLUDING the $75.00 “FINE” the State of Calitopia assesses because I’m “using more than my allotted amount”.

Florida is looking better & better every day!

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Element; 2010 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
The Ford Lightning is only better at one thing over an ICE Ford and that's only if going green is high on your list of priorities. Again Democrats which all msnbc is will push gas price as high as they can to push their agenda.

In three years if the tides turn again which if things continue as they are we will have $2 gas again.
No way. The party in th WH has little bearing on the price of gas at your pump. 50-60% of the price is driven by internationally set oil prices; the rest by processing costs (fixed) and local taxes (which generate huge revenue for states/provinces)

. To drive the cost of gas lower than what is being set by market would require subsidizing - you do NOT want to go there.

Pick any country that subsidizes their gas to make it cheap and tell me if that’s where you want to live, if that’s a “first world/safe/successful” country where you’d like to raise a family and go on road trips.

Take a look:

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statis...ubsidies-by-fuel-in-the-top-25-countries-2019

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Then you move up to an xlt and there is a $10,000 swing in difference.

ICE XLT MSRP = $44,890
EV XLT MSRP = $54,669
The Pro is clearly the best value as it’s thousands cheaper than the equivalent gas version, but the XLT gas vs EV is way closer than $10k. You can’t get an XLT 4x4 Powerboost Supercrew for $44,890. More like $50,350+ after destination (which was added to the Lightning price)… a difference that will be made up pretty quickly in fuel costs and/or tax credit.

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
Charging my ole’ Chevy Volt right now off our Tesla Wall Ball. My girl will plug in her her new MME Extended and her App will start to charge after 12 am when rates are cheaper and once the batteries go down to 5% and shuts off. Pretty much free energy today. Almost 35kWH generated today. Not too bad.

Ford F-150 Lightning So... How about them gas prices? D2A01C00-F8D7-4953-92C4-459F6E07335D

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Anyone who has ever driven around Norway can tell you what point of use road tax looks like. Road tolls are astronomical there. I would visit one of my customers there pretty regularly. The facility was less than an hour from Oslo, tolls for the round trip were $50.
Sounds a lot like the HOT lane tolls in Northern Virginia during rush hour with a 30 mile one way commute.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Pretty sad to see the luddites invading this thread to protest the inevitable transition to EVs. Inevitable simply because they are much more efficient, and that will always win. Change is normal, people. Progress is a good thing, everybody. If we can accomplish the basic purpose of personal transportation while using less energy, saving money and cutting pollution in the process, it’s a plus for all of us.
And, to get back once more to the original topic of this discussion: Yes, higher gas prices will accelerate this transition. That doesn’t mean that anyone is rooting for higher prices here, not even me, but that will be the silver lining that will actually benefit all of us and society as a whole in the end.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yeah, when you see how much a vehicle can back power a house for, you realize how much energy you really use while driving.
That may be an eye opener for those paying attention. Many are clueless about how inefficient driving is and do nothing to try and mitigate usage like carpooling. Back in the 70s, we had gas rationing. You couldn't fill up with gas if it wasn't your day to fill up, and could only get so much gas.

In the early 80s, I drove to work because I took a neighbor with me. She paid bus fare, which was most of the cost, because I saved her time, and then she got on her last bus at the parking lot. Today, so many never think of carpooling with a neighbor or coworker.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
That may be an eye opener for those paying attention. Many are clueless about how inefficient driving is and do nothing to try and mitigate usage like carpooling. Back in the 70s, we had gas rationing. You couldn't fill up with gas if it wasn't your day to fill up, and could only get so much gas.

In the early 80s, I drove to work because I took a neighbor with me. She paid bus fare, which was most of the cost, because I saved her time, and then she got on her last bus at the parking lot. Today, so many never think of carpooling with a neighbor or coworker.
Carpooling or "slugging" is pretty popular in the DC area (at least before COVID). I worked with a guy that was retiring and he had done it for decades. I've done it a few times and it's nice to save a few bucks and help someone beat the tolls.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Carpooling or "slugging" is pretty popular in the DC area (at least before COVID). I worked with a guy that was retiring and he had done it for decades. I've done it a few times and it's nice to save a few bucks and help someone beat the tolls.
In major cities with big traffic problems it is popular. In suburbs, not so much. Of course now with so many working from home, it's less of an issue.

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter

I work construction in the Philadelphia area, carpooling is popular. Its parking costs that really make it worthwhile
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.