• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

So... How about them gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Are you really gonna try to convince us the BOLT offers a nicer driving experience than say an M5 or A6??

Are you that delusional?

Sure it may drive nice for a "budget" EV, but that is not the driving experience I enjoy that is for sure!!

Why would you compare a luxury sport sedan to a commuter car? How much is a 2 year old M5? $90k? I'm clearly talking about utilitarian cars that most people drive every day. Sure, my 911 will blow the doors off my Bolt but I'd take the Bolt over my GF's Civic every day of the week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Have you driven one?
It's a good question, as of 2020 the Yukon territory where MTNMN is from had only 22 EV's in total. They have put up some pretty good incentives for increasing that number. Not sure how it has changed. When I was last there, you could find plugs for block heaters nearly everywhere you parked. Which would work perfectly with an L1 charger. I charged my Kia with an L1 for a year before we decided to upgrade to a lower end L2.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Not everyone has solar panels at their house or want them. I’m not knocking you, you do your thing and others will do theirs. Just don’t push your green new deal man made global warming crap on everyone else.
I'm not pushing it on you at all. I never said anything about green new deal or global warming. In fact, I sold all my EVs and bought gas cars with manual transmissions because I enjoy them.

I'm simply responding to a claim that "green" people should be driving hybrids, not EVs, and giving an example where an EV clearly makes sense.

I'm not saying everyone has to do it. *I* am not even doing it. It's an example to respond to a silly claim not saying everyone else has to do it.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I’ll talk if only one person is interested in listening.

We love the car, 8 year power train warranty is still active although it hasn’t been needed. I was fortunate enough to have my breaker panel in the garage right next to where we park the X. So I hooked up the 40 AMP myself, charges it fast enough. Not a supercharger obviously, but I’ve gotten a full 220 mile charge from almost zero in under 8 hours. It’s insanely comfortable, I hope the Lariat I have on order is close in comfort. It’s my wife’s daily to and from work, it gets the kids to daycare. It takes us on the short hauls within the state. It’s gotten us to and from Chicago a few times (5ish hours). The lane assist is huge with reducing driver fatigue (I know this thread isn’t about that, but people tend to hate driver assists until they use them).

It’s also one of the reasons we decided to upgrade the pickup truck. If you’ve travelled with infants/toddlers/young kids(are we there yet?), you know a 4 hour drive beats the bloody crap out of a 5 hour drive. Not to mention the measure on driver fatigue. Now some of you LRs may be able to do it all on one charge, but if you’re doing a 300+ mile haul and need to at least charge once, it’s reducing time at your destination and increasing travel time, now if it’s just you and a partner traveling or just yourself, you may enjoy the breaks, but if you’re trying to get from A to B as quick as possible, stopping to charge will really slow you down.

I like the lightning, if I wasn’t doing a 300 mile drive with a 12 ft 5000lb trailer semi regularly and didn’t already have a EV in the garage, I would strongly consider it.

Point I guess I’m trying to make is ICE and EVs serve different purposes in my family and I’m sure it’s different for different people/families. We shouldn’t be cheering for high oil prices, trust me, that won’t have a positive impact on EV prices either. A surge in demand for oil generally correlates with with a surge in energy demand/prices.

So while the cost per mile of an EV probably won’t increase at the cost per mile of an ICE, why is it some kind of competition? Neither ICE or EV are benefitting from it.
Good description of the vast advantages of EV. But the point of the discussion was the impact of oil prices on EV adoption rates, which it most certainly will have, rendering your last paragraph moot.

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
Ill take a car or truck i actually enjoy driving over savings and low cost,

Why are all of you soo cheap? LOL

If someone gave you free rent to live in a turd would you do it just because it saves money?
You’re getting a little off track here. Discussion was about gas prices affecting EV adoption rates. They already are.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I’ll talk if only one person is interested in listening.

We love the car, 8 year power train warranty is still active although it hasn’t been needed. I was fortunate enough to have my breaker panel in the garage right next to where we park the X. So I hooked up the 40 AMP myself, charges it fast enough. Not a supercharger obviously, but I’ve gotten a full 220 mile charge from almost zero in under 8 hours. It’s insanely comfortable, I hope the Lariat I have on order is close in comfort. It’s my wife’s daily to and from work, it gets the kids to daycare. It takes us on the short hauls within the state. It’s gotten us to and from Chicago a few times (5ish hours). The lane assist is huge with reducing driver fatigue (I know this thread isn’t about that, but people tend to hate driver assists until they use them).

It’s also one of the reasons we decided to upgrade the pickup truck. If you’ve travelled with infants/toddlers/young kids(are we there yet?), you know a 4 hour drive beats the bloody crap out of a 5 hour drive. Not to mention the measure on driver fatigue. Now some of you LRs may be able to do it all on one charge, but if you’re doing a 300+ mile haul and need to at least charge once, it’s reducing time at your destination and increasing travel time, now if it’s just you and a partner traveling or just yourself, you may enjoy the breaks, but if you’re trying to get from A to B as quick as possible, stopping to charge will really slow you down.

I like the lightning, if I wasn’t doing a 300 mile drive with a 12 ft 5000lb trailer semi regularly and didn’t already have a EV in the garage, I would strongly consider it.

Point I guess I’m trying to make is ICE and EVs serve different purposes in my family and I’m sure it’s different for different people/families. We shouldn’t be cheering for high oil prices, trust me, that won’t have a positive impact on EV prices either. A surge in demand for oil generally correlates with with a surge in energy demand/prices.

So while the cost per mile of an EV probably won’t increase at the cost per mile of an ICE, why is it some kind of competition? Neither ICE or EV are benefitting from it.
Our recent car experience 13 volt replaced by 19 Bolt (repurchaseed) replaced with 22 XC40 P8 EV, 16 XC90T8 phev. 11 f150 lariat replaced with 17 Tacoma. We have not made any long trips with an EV. The phev xc90 has been great (Volvo pilot assist has been great for reducing fatigue). It is paid for and reg/insurance/oil change is probably around 100 per month, so fairly cheap to own until something fails expensively. The lightning will replace the Tacoma, but maybe we will go all EV and sell/trade the xc90. Would we rent for trips or just drive the EVs? Maybe we will give it a try this spring before the lightning arrives. The increasing gas prices have us considering being done with ICE. Also to consider we have a 12 year old and 10 year old, so long drives are not as painful as they once were, but we will be thinking about having three cars in a few years if we do get rid of the xc90. Maybe the 90 pays for a solar roof to charge the others...So many first world decisions to have to make. I am thankful that our family is in the position to have these "problems"

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
EVs are emissions free at the point of energy consumption. Consolidating emissions to one source (ie power plant) makes it far, far easier to reduce the impact of emissions. Going to an electric transportation infrastructure is only one half of a low emissions. The other half is changing the emissions at the power plant level, that could be using renewables but it could also be retrofitting carbon-based plants with carbon sequestration technology (huge investments in this right now). But either way you need the vehicles to be zero emissions for the whole thing to work.
This is the reason for EV - Great point.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I'm not pushing it on you at all. I never said anything about green new deal or global warming. In fact, I sold all my EVs and bought gas cars with manual transmissions because I enjoy them.

I'm simply responding to a claim that "green" people should be driving hybrids, not EVs, and giving an example where an EV clearly makes sense.

I'm not saying everyone has to do it. *I* am not even doing it. It's an example to respond to a silly claim not saying everyone else has to do it.
Blaine, now remember, you have to pick a side. You have to be either EV for life or ICE for life. Don't let your own brain influence your decisions. ;)

TF1000

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Prius Prime, 1996 Ram 1500
I'm definitely driving less and am consolidating my errands.
This! No matter what you drive waste is waste. My parents grew up in the depression and ingrained in me and my siblings to not be wasteful (like not wasting food, turn the lights off...) way before the conservation movement. It's not hard to do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Starts thread:

Ford F-150 Lightning So... How about them gas prices? popcorn-jon-stewart

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
This! No matter what you drive waste is waste. My parents grew up in the depression and ingrained in me and my siblings to not be wasteful (like not wasting food, turn the lights off...) way before the conservation movement. It's not hard to do.
Yeah I mean as any economics textbook will tell you this is how markets are SUPPOSED to work. Prices change and consumption habits SHOULD change to reflect those price changes. Gas prices tend to get much less response, but always good to see people acting rationally.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
#PostingInAForumAboutEvs
I think this is the online equivalent of coal rolling.

Also, people with ICE vehicles should be thanking those that drive electric. Means more gas for them and lower prices on a macro level.

Until EV adoption rates go up enough that gas stations and refineries shut down. Film got really expensive and scarce when the industry switched to digital...I expect the same to happen with gas.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Anit-EV noise yet their only solution is for everyone to go buy a Nissan Leaf.
He was responding to me, and I didn't suggest that "everyone go buy a Nissan Leaf."

For that matter, even the OTHER guy didn't say "everyone go buy a Nissan Leaf". You claimed that 90% of Americans can't afford an EV, and so he gave an example of a cheap one that way more than 10% of Americans could afford.

If I say "No one can buy an F-150 for $50,000!" and you say "Here's an F-150 for $40,000", that's not the same as you saying "EVERYONE go buy a $40,000 F-150!" It's just you responding to my erroneous claim.

No one actually said "everyone go buy a Nissan Leaf", but it's easier to pretend someone said something extreme than argue against their actual point.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.