Sponsored

Snow tires or Scorpions?

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I’m really looking for thoughts from people who drive their 4x4 F-150s in snow on all seasons.

My Lariat (4x4) came equipped with the Scorpion ATRs, which I think are all season and not M&S. I live in NorCal and don’t need anything more extreme for my daily driving, as it doesn’t snow here. It does get into the high 30s in the winter, though. But I plan to go to Tahoe several times this year, probably 5-7 weekends. It’s a tough one to plan. Lately, there hasn’t been that much snow, and unless you hit it wrong they keep the roads pretty clear anyway, even if there is a storm. But there have been times driving up where we’ve gotten 5+ feet on a weekend and the conditions have been extreme.

My last car was a Macan, which had 21” wheels. It came with summers only and initially there weren’t even all seasons or winters available for those wheels. So I bought some 19”s with winter tires, swapped the wheels myself at Thanksgiving, and just drove on the winters though March. Had all seasons been available for the 21”, I may have gone for them. But aside from the pain of storing and swapping another set of wheels, I liked the winters in the snow when I needed them. They are noisy when there isn’t snow but not that bad.

So my question is: Knowing the winter tires are better, do you think it’s advisable to get by with the all seasons for my Tahoe trips? I’m reluctant to store and swap a new set every year, but it’s better than a crash (which snows don’t guarantee I’d avoid anyway). If I were to go that route, I’d probably get some really cool Detroit Steel Wheels and snows, maybe 18” or 19”, rather than mount new tires only on my current 20” PVDs. I’d appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
Dedicated snows are definitely the way to go hands down. However, the usage to cost ratio is way off if you only need them part of the time. Why not go for either an all weather tire or a light all terrain that wears the 3 peak mtn snowflake symbol on it? You will be thoroughly disappointed in those Scorpions snow performance, guaranteed for sure. Maybe check these out?

Nordman Solstice - Enduring safety for all weather conditions / Nokian Tires

Last edited:

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have the scorpions and they were fine in light New England snow in March. Why not wait and see before swapping?

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I have the scorpions and they were fine in light New England snow in March. Why not wait and see before swapping?
Just got my KR 10 days ago and it came with the Scorpions. Very disappointed in that. From the tread pattern, those tires are max three seasons only and not made for snow. Yes you could get by in light snow for a bit but not all winter long. Ice would
also be a problem with those tires.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
At a min get done M&S rated all seasons. Like KO2S

Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Just got my KR 10 days ago and it came with the Scorpions. Very disappointed in that. From the tread pattern, those tires are max three seasons only and not made for snow. Yes you could get by in light snow for a bit but not all winter long. Ice would
also be a problem with those tires.
No doubt there are better choices if you deal with lots of snow and ice. Like OP, I drive in snow maybe a dozen days a year. The other 353 days, I prefer a tire that is quiet and comfortable. The Scorpions are just terrific all around tires. Maybe I should grab some cheap takeoffs now to slap on at 50,000 miles.
Also, I learned to drive in snow in my dads' 1976 Impala station wagon with bias ply tires. All modern tires seem pretty good by comparison.

Pibblemobile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150
I don’t have a 21 but I had an 18 with Hankook AT’s and now have a 20 with Falken AT3W. I could not make it out of my neighborhood in the Hankooks without 4wd in 2 or 3 inch snow but can easily with the Falkens. They are extremely quiet and ride great!

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I live in Colorado and our cabin is at 9,500 feet with a steep driveway that gets a lot of snow. I took the stock A/T tires off (mine were some OEM Wranglers) and swapped them for Wrangler Duratrac for 3PMSF (3 peak mountain snowflake) rating. They aren't snow tires but they have been great in the snow. I still carry chains in case it gets really dicey on completely unplowed roads (or our driveway), but haven't had to use them yet.

I don't think for most people dedicated snows are going to be necessary, based on my experience, but I would make sure to get a 3PMSF rated all season (not just M+S) if you want something you can use year round.

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I live in Colorado and our cabin is at 9,500 feet with a steep driveway that gets a lot of snow. I took the stock A/T tires off (mine were some OEM Wranglers) and swapped them for Wrangler Duratrac for 3PMSF (3 peak mountain snowflake) rating. They aren't snow tires but they have been great in the snow. I still carry chains in case it gets really dicey on completely unplowed roads (or our driveway), but haven't had to use them yet.

I don't think for most people dedicated snows are going to be necessary, based on my experience, but I would make sure to get a 3PMSF rated all season (not just M+S) if you want something you can use year round.
Good point. Since I don't really want to replace these tires prematurely, maybe I'll just get some chains for the time being

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Good point. Since I don't really want to replace these tires prematurely, maybe I'll just get some chains for the time being
As long as your primary concern is deep snow they are good for getting unstuck. I would probably still want something winter rated for highway speed though, especially braking. I swapped mine with less than 1000 miles on then and think got $500 or $600 for the OEMs so they paid for a decent chunk of better tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I'm looking at Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. They are three peak rated and get good reviews. Most people say they are quiet also. Anyone have experience with them?

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
I'm looking at Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. They are three peak rated and get good reviews. Most people say they are quiet also. Anyone have experience with them?
Put a set on my dad’s F-150, good in the snow and just have very very slight noise. They seem to wear a little fast for me, though.

JayceeP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Mountains and snow? Snow tires would be my vote. A bit more money but being in a ditch or stuck somewhere isn’t fun either and it will stretch out the life of your “summers” so it all equals out. To each their own though ?.

Di2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7
Occupation
Retired
Scorpions gone, replaced with KO2's before I even took delivery. Lots of snow where I am. I have used these tires before, and they work for every season where I live.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Scorpions gone, replaced with KO2's before I even took delivery. Lots of snow where I am. I have used these tires before, and they work for every season where I live.
No loss there. That was the only thing I didn’t like when I got my truck. Why they would put those things on Canadian build trucks is strange. Just last week put Michelin X Ice Snow’s on the truck. I do go with the winter tire , costs more I know, but over the long run not so much , just having a dedicated winter tire seems worth the added cost.
Sponsored