Sponsored

Smoked Quartz Platinum - Leveled - 285/65-20's

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum PowerBoost
In case you change your mind about the KO2s, I basically have the exact same set up at the OP, but I run KO2 on 285/65/20
Truck Sunset.jpg
I saw your truck the other day as I was searching for examples and it has that aggressive look I want, but maybe not the best practicality wise for my current driving needs. How are they on the freeway cruising at 85mph? We have stretches here in Utah where the speed limit is 80 and my trips to Cali have stretches of 80mph as well. My other concern might be the treadwear at those speeds. But, man, your truck looks awesome!
Sponsored

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum SCrew, Smoked Quartz, 701a, FX4
The KO2s have been pretty decent on highway for me. I drive a lot around Texas, so open road is common and I get to 85 pretty regular. I have no complaints about road noise and at 16k miles (about 14,500 on these tires), tread depth is still at 14/32 (have already rotated twice). I suspect that these tires will start to get bumpier at about 30K, and replaced sometime between then and 40K. There will be plenty of life, but I don't take tires down to 5/32 due to ride considerations.

Fuel economy is pretty well known at this point. I have the 3.5L Eco and it is 17 mpg in typical driving and I can squeeze out 20 mpg on the highway in Eco mode and watching myself. Usually its 18.5-19 mpg driving normal.

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I saw your truck the other day as I was searching for examples and it has that aggressive look I want, but maybe not the best practicality wise for my current driving needs. How are they on the freeway cruising at 85mph? We have stretches here in Utah where the speed limit is 80 and my trips to Cali have stretches of 80mph as well. My other concern might be the treadwear at those speeds. But, man, your truck looks awesome!
In addition, my neighbor runs the Nitto Recon Grapplers on his Platinum on a 275/65/20 in an SL load. They are barely heavier than the OEM Hankooks, but look really nice. Since you don't need E rated tires, these are a great compromise and still gets you on pretty aggressive 34"s.

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In addition, my neighbor runs the Nitto Recon Grapplers on his Platinum on a 275/65/20 in an SL load. They are barely heavier than the OEM Hankooks, but look really nice. Since you don't need E rated tires, these are a great compromise and still gets you on pretty aggressive 34"s.
Thanks for that great information @wessermgm. You are just making it harder to make a decision here. I have always enjoyed my K02s. Well, I may have to rethink the K02s now.

OP
OP
05RubiconLJ

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
@05RubiconLJ - Your setup looks great. I am a fellow Platinum Powerboost Smoked Quartz owner. Love my truck and I am needing new tires. I plan on moving up to the 285/65/20 as well. Could you provide a quick update on how you feel about the Yokohama Geolander A/T two years later? I do mostly freeway/city driving, not much intense off-roading anymore, but I don't like to get into the mountains, and I live in Utah so I need tires to be above average in the winter. I am stuck deciding whether to go with the Yokohama Geolander A/T, Toyo Open Country, or the straight highway all-season of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. If I go Michelin, I will probably drop the size down to 275/65/20 for fuel economy purposes. On a previous F-150 I ran BFGoodrich K02s, but my driving needs have changed at they don't make sense anymore. Thanks for sharing your setup and happy driving.
I had a very high opinion of the Geolanders when I bought them, as I have had them on other vehicles in the past. I have just under 22,000 miles on the truck now and there is hardly any wear on the tires, at all. The vast amount of that mileage is highway, as it has become our prefered vehicle for travel. I have a Jeep, so we don't take the F-150 off-road much at all, but as we live in the Ozarks, the truck does see plenty of dirt, gravel, low water crossings, and the like when we go hiking or are camping with the Cub Scouts. We had a very heavy winter for NW Arkansas this year and the truck was solid and capable through it all.

Sponsored

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had a very high opinion of the Geolanders when I bought them, as I have had them on other vehicles in the past. I have just under 22,000 miles on the truck now and there is hardly any wear on the tires, at all. The vast amount of that mileage is highway, as it has become our prefered vehicle for travel. I have a Jeep, so we don't take the F-150 off-road much at all, but as we live in the Ozarks, the truck does see plenty of dirt, gravel, low water crossings, and the like when we go hiking or are camping with the Cub Scouts. We had a very heavy winter for NW Arkansas this year and the truck was solid and capable through it all.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. They are top on the list, but the reviews on tire rack created some concern. So, I thought I would reach out to get your real world experience feedback. Your driving needs matches identically to what I need this truck to do for me. I appreciate @wessermgm sharing his thoughts as well. After some thought, I believe the top two tires right now is between the Geolanders and Toyo Open Country. Maybe I will throw the K02s on my OEM wheels once my other wheels arrive. Thanks again!

cdeberg7

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Engineer
Finally picked up 'Smokey' last week and have just been too busy to get some photos posted. Great truck and really happy with the color, the stance, and all the bells and whistles. I am formulating a list of likes and dislikes, but I will post that later.

2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum - Smoked Quartz - RC 2" Level - 285/65-20 Yokohama Geolander A/T's

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0385.JPG

IMG_0384-1.jpg
Im going to be that guy.....did you lose a good chunk of MPG? What MPG do you get with the PB and that set up of tires? curious- thats what i will have in a few days and want to get those tires as well.

emiantan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, I went with the Toyo Open Country AT3 285/65r20 with the Fuel Rebar 6 Gunmetal wheels. So far so good., Thanks for all the help on this thread. I appreciate it. Some minor trimming to make this setup work.
Ford F-150 Smoked Quartz Platinum - Leveled - 285/65-20's IMG_4027

FIERROS96

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In case you change your mind about the KO2s, I basically have the exact same set up at the OP, but I run KO2 on 285/65/20
Truck Sunset.jpg
Beautiful truck! I live in DFW area as well, what level kit did you go with?

wessermgm

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles